Quantcast

Risotto Love

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I hadn't made risotto in a while and last weekend busted out a killer version with butternut squash, brown butter, and crispy sage. It was so damn good and reminded me of how much I like the stuff.

I took a large squash, cut it in half, scraped out the seeds, sprinkled one half with S&P, fresh sage, and olive oil, then put it cut side down in a 400 degree oven. While that half was roasting, I peeled and diced the other half, then threw the dice into a separate pan with more seasoning and tossed it in the oven.

Then I got started on a fairly standard risotto: Softened a diced onion in butter and olive oil, added chopped garlic and sage, then added about a cup and half of arborio and stir for a minute or two before adding a half a cup of white wine. When that was absorbed I started adding ladles of hot chicken stock, adjusting the temp and stirring almost continuously, repeating as each addition of stock was absorbed.

After about 40 minutes of roasting I pulled the "whole half" squash out of the oven, scooped out the flesh, and mashed it loosely in a bowl with a little butter. I added this directly to the risotto together with a little more stock. When the rice was just shy of done I turned off the heat and stirred in the diced roasted squash together with some grated parm and chopped fresh sage. In a separate pan I browned some butter and fried whole sage leaves, which I then drained on paper towels. When the risotto was done I stirred in a little of the brown butter, then served with copious grated parm, a drizzle of brown butter, and some of the fried sage. Holy crap it was good!!

We drank a tasty Sonoma county Syrah and toasted good fortune...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
oh yeah, that sounds great. i should do the roasted red pepper/sausage risotto soon.

billt, once you've got the basic recipe down it's not complicated at all, just takes some constant stirring.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have an awesome recipe that I'll post later. I love risotto and find it extremely worth the little bit of work it requires.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Scratch that, it's sooooo good that I tracked it down immediately

Monterey Jack, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto
From Cooking Light

1 3/4 cups water
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup uncooked Arborio or other short-grain rice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
3/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers

Combine water and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep broth mixture warm over low heat.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, cumin, coriander (if desired), and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of liquid is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in the onions, cheese, hot sauce, corn, and bell peppers; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 383(24% from fat); FAT 10.4g (sat 4.6g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 12g; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 198mg; SODIUM 583mg; FIBER 3.8g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 63.3g

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MMM sounds good. I love corn in risotto, in the summer I make farmer's market surprise risotti with stuff like fresh corn, peas, shrooms, aparagus, etc. Good with shrimp, crab, lobster...damn I'm hungry now...

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
MMM sounds good. I love corn in risotto, in the summer I make farmer's market surprise risotti with stuff like fresh corn, peas, shrooms, aparagus, etc. Good with shrimp, crab, lobster...damn I'm hungry now...
Yah, that recipe I posted is AWESOME!!!!!!! I could eat it every day.

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
thanx Heidi....i'm gonna give that a whirl......and og that mouth watering description has me going.I either have to cook now or make reservations.
My all time fav rissotto is made with barley

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I have to say it was exceedingly easy to make (was my first foray into the world of risotto). It took some tending, but it came out really nice and creamy. A little fresh thyme and a side of broccoli and we were in business. I'm going to do more. :thumb:

Where does everyone get their rice for it? I got a 2lb box at Cost Plus for $4... which is kind of expensive for rice. :think:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny, I was just thinking that it's getting to be risotto weather again.

I use only carnaroli or arborio for risotto (and paella, since I can't seem to find bomba). These are the classic, short-grain varieties recommended by most experts. Most of the grocers here in SF have one or the other, and there are a few places you can buy them in bulk. Quite honestly, I don't pay attention to the prices that much, I'm not feeding and army and it's pretty cheap, even if it's more expensive than regular rice.

Risotto is great to have in your repetoire. There are not too many shortcuts but it's also not too difficult as long as you pay attention to what's happening and adjust the heat and amount of liquid. I find it really important to let it rest a bit off the heat, and to finish it with a bit of the same fat you start with.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Funny, I was just thinking that it's getting to be risotto weather again.

I use only carnaroli or arborio for risotto (and paella, since I can't seem to find bomba). These are the classic, short-grain varieties recommended by most experts. Most of the grocers here in SF have one or the other, and there are a few places you can buy them in bulk. Quite honestly, I don't pay attention to the prices that much, I'm not feeding and army and it's pretty cheap, even if it's more expensive than regular rice.

Risotto is great to have in your repetoire. There are not too many shortcuts but it's also not too difficult as long as you pay attention to what's happening and adjust the heat and amount of liquid. I find it really important to let it rest a bit off the heat, and to finish it with a bit of the same fat you start with.
I'm feeding an army. A little army, but an army nonetheless. I need to find arborio in bulk. Last week I bought a 25lb bag of basmati rice. :monkey:

The army likes rice. :thumb:

Do you always use homemade chicken stock? Or do you have any stocks you like better than others?

Edit: Oh yeah - the heavy bottom pan really makes it pretty easy - heat stays consistent... and I pre-heated the stock which was recommended several places.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I buy my arborio in bulk at Whole Foods. I don't even look at the price, but it's probably not as cheap as you're looking for.

Coincidentally, earlier this week we put butternut squash risotto on the menu for tonight. I've been looking forward to it all week.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I rarely make or use homemade stock. I probably would do it more if I was feeding more people regularly, but as it is I don't end up with much in the way of bones and scraps. A few of the markets around here sell quality frozen stock, and I am not above using one the few brands of free range/organic/low sodium stocks available in the markets around here. But yeah, it's important to use heated stock. It shortens the cooking time and prevents the rice from turning to mush.

Since you have the rice, you should definitely try that paella technique I posted a little while back. Not as creamy but much easier than risotto.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well we made this squash risotto again over the weekend. Eased back on the fried sage a bit and served it with herbed rack of lamb and a Ridge Zin. Friggin' killer, if I do say so myself.

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
thanks for the recipe! i made this last night but with my own roasted red peppers and i added spinnach and substituted Cabott Chipotle Cheddar Jack. So damn good!

Scratch that, it's sooooo good that I tracked it down immediately

Monterey Jack, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Risotto
From Cooking Light

1 3/4 cups water
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans vegetable broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup uncooked Arborio or other short-grain rice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup thinly sliced green onions
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
3/4 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers

Combine water and broth in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer (do not boil). Keep broth mixture warm over low heat.

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, cumin, coriander (if desired), and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of liquid is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in the onions, cheese, hot sauce, corn, and bell peppers; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 383(24% from fat); FAT 10.4g (sat 4.6g,mono 3.9g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 12g; CHOLESTEROL 17mg; CALCIUM 198mg; SODIUM 583mg; FIBER 3.8g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 63.3g

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
made some tonight...

reconstituted some dried porcini mushrooms and reserved the liquid.
roasted some red peppers

cooked some hot italian sausage, and removed.
added two minced shallots and cooked until soft
added arborio rice for ~1 min
1/2 cup of wine, reduce heat
add in reserved porcini juice and mushrooms
in intervals, add in heated broth in ~1 cup ladlefuls, and repeat as necessary

when done (al dente), add in peppers and sausage, and add in about 1/2 cup of grated pecorino cheese.

top w/ more grated cheese and chopped parsley

yow.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
made some tonight...

reconstituted some dried porcini mushrooms and reserved the liquid.
roasted some red peppers

cooked some hot italian sausage, and removed.
added two minced shallots and cooked until soft
added arborio rice for ~1 min
1/2 cup of wine, reduce heat
add in reserved porcini juice and mushrooms
in intervals, add in heated broth in ~1 cup ladlefuls, and repeat as necessary

when done (al dente), add in peppers and sausage, and add in about 1/2 cup of grated pecorino cheese.

top w/ more grated cheese and chopped parsley

yow.
Goddam I can't approve enough of this. I substituted $hitake mushrooms... :drool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
GEORGE: So... you feel okay about that whole thing... what we do in there... generally okay with everything in there?

KARIN: Generally.

GEORGE: Do you feel the way you feel after the Risotto?

KARIN: No, I feel full after the Risotto.

GEORGE: Yeah... full.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Conquered the arborio ninja and managed to get some home from the store. Made some butternut squash risotto on Saturday evening. It was quite a delight. Props to OG for the inspiration. I ate the leftovers for breakfast. mmmm...

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
Last night was mixed mushroom and sage risotto. Lunch today was said risotto with thin-sliced garlic roast beef. :drool:

I did a classic risotto with asiago and parmesan cheese, but added some sauted mushrooms and crispy pancetta. The following night I used a tall drinking glass to cut the leftovers into hockey-puck sized rounds. I rolled them in egg wash and a flour/red pepper/parsley mix and pan fried them. Served that with herb crusted chicken breast and over roasted veggies with a white wine reduction sauce. Dericious.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I did a classic risotto with asiago and parmesan cheese, but added some sauted mushrooms and crispy pancetta. The following night I used a tall drinking glass to cut the leftovers into hockey-puck sized rounds. I rolled them in egg wash and a flour/red pepper/parsley mix and pan fried them. Served that with herb crusted chicken breast and over roasted veggies with a white wine reduction sauce. Dericious.
Nice! I love arancini and other fried risotto things but I never seem to have leftovers.