Quantcast

Risotto Love

well my two roommates have no class and no taste... they'd rather eat kraft dinner (mac and cheese for you Americans) than my food. Which works out well, I don't have to defend my stash of pepper goat cheese and cranberry wensleydale from anyone, as they'll only eat marble cheddar.

Back on topic though, could one start a risotto with red wine and beef or mushroom stock? I've only ever used cheapo whites and chicken stock.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Back on topic though, could one start a risotto with red wine and beef or mushroom stock? I've only ever used cheapo whites and chicken stock.
Mos def, it's super versatile. Lots of recipes call for red wine and stocks other than chicken - not just beef or mushroom, but also veal stock, seafood stock, etc. Red wine adds color that some don't like, but if you're using other dark ingredients it's not too bad, especially for more hearty risotti. On the lighter side, one of my favorite summer risotti is shrimp or lobster with fresh asparagus and corn, using champagne and a quick shellfish stock - just simmer the shells in water for a little bit, crush them as much as you can in the stock, then strain thoroughly.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Made the Corn, Roasted Red Pepper and Monterey Jack risotto last night. Had it with some sirloin tip steak strips.

Delicious!