Quantcast

Risse 888 crown/steerer, just got one.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well I wasn't going to try one because I did like the way the original crown felt, but decided WTF and picked up the set. First off the machining is nice, however the area where the steerer bolts on is very thin, and kinda has me worried about its overall strength. I have a pic with the steerer installed and it even looks thinner because of the lip in the steerer itself (there is about 4mm of material). Initial impressions is it lowered the front end about an inch and so far with the street test feels real good, like really good. I wont be able to do the full test till Memorial weekend when I have time to try it. Here are some pics I took, sorry for the bad ones.

Attachments

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by kidwoo
Oh real helpful.......why don't you put the two bikes together?.........hello?.............:rolleyes:

Hurry up and break them so you can tell us what it took. I'll help.:devil:
I'm lucky enough to be able to type, I can't do that.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
however the area where the steerer bolts on is very thin, and kinda has me worried about its overall strength. I have a pic with the steerer installed and it even looks thinner because of the lip in the steerer itself (there is about 4mm of material).

I wouldn't be worried.. I am sure they ran some FEA model or at the very least did some stress calculations....

.. Right? :dead:

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Originally posted by Mani_UT
I wouldn't be worried.. I am sure they ran some FEA model or at the very least did some stress calculations....

.. Right? :dead:
Probably forgot... To busy with other things... ya know.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
I installed my Risse crowns last night. They lowered the front of my V10 by about 1 1/2" The brake arch comes nowhere near the bottom crown, so not sure why that was coming up as an issue in a previous thread.

Overall, the crowns are really nice - machined well, and I really like the replaceable steerer tube. It's definitely lighter than the stock crowns, but not sure by how much.

Not sure how much different the GR crowns could be to justify paying twice as much?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Excellent. I didn't want to be the first Monkey to try it out either but now that a few of you have confirmed they are of good quality I'm going to order a set up.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just went to their site. Is it my imagination or is the guy in the upper right hand corner of this photo of their crew sneaking a one-hitter?:rolleyes:

Also...what is the weight difference between just the steerer and lower clamps of the stock crown and the Risse? Their site doesn't show the comparison.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by bizutch
Ok, OK....what's the website address....?

I wanna price 'em....do you gotta get both?
$150 for the set.

http://www.risseracing.com/Products/Forks/888/888.htm

Just got off the phone with them, they will be making changes to them in the future, with a pressed in steerer and changing the location of the stanchion clamp bolts. However they don't have an estimated date on that as of yet since they are not designed yet. They have Clear finish & Gold in stock right now, and about 50 more are on there way to anodizing today then blacks will be availible again soon. They do look nice. One thing I was told is they might hit the M so keep it about 3-5mm above the min mark on the fork and there will be no problems. I however slid the lower all the way down to check clearance and it looks real good too me.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
just went to their site. Is it my imagination or is the guy in the upper right hand corner of this photo of their crew sneaking a one-hitter?:rolleyes:

Also...what is the weight difference between just the steerer and lower clamps of the stock crown and the Risse? Their site doesn't show the comparison.
I got 1.4lbs with the Risse and 1.7 with the stock Marzocchi.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
$150 for the set.

http://www.risseracing.com/Products/Forks/888/888.htm

Just got off the phone with them, they will be making changes to them in the future, with a pressed in steerer and changing the location of the stanchion clamp bolts. However they don't have an estimated date on that as of yet since they are not designed yet. They have Clear finish & Gold in stock right now, and about 50 more are on there way to anodizing today then blacks will be availible again soon. They do look nice. One thing I was told is they might hit the M so keep it about 3-5mm above the min mark on the fork and there will be no problems. I however slid the lower all the way down to check clearance and it looks real good too me.
I've got mine lowered to the lowest mark and the arch comes nowhere near hitting the lower crown. I think it's actually got more clearance than the stock crowns, as the stock lower crown protrudes forward quite a bit.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Wallstreetbiker
I've got mine lowered to the lowest mark and the arch comes nowhere near hitting the lower crown. I think it's actually got more clearance than the stock crowns, as the stock lower crown protrudes forward quite a bit.
The stock front of the crown sits much higher though. Did you slide the lower crown all the way down to the lowers?

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
The stock front of the crown sits much higher though. Did you slide the lower crown all the way down to the lowers?
I had the springs pulled and cycled the fork to full travel - plenty of clearance.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had the springs pulled and cycled the fork to full travel - plenty of clearance.
Coolio:thumb: So whats your take on the area where the steerer clamps? Not a lot of material there, but Risse says thats the all there forks are.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
Coolio:thumb: So whats your take on the area where the steerer clamps? Not a lot of material there, but Risse says thats the all there forks are.
Yeah, I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out. It looks thin, but I compared it to my AVI DHF and it's pretty much the same thickness, so I'm not too worried about it.

Another thing worth noting, is that by dropping the front end of my V10 down 1 1/2", my wheelbase shortened about 3/4", so the geometry of the bike really got "quicker" and feels awesome.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Yeah, I didn't really notice it until you pointed it out. It looks thin, but I compared it to my AVI DHF and it's pretty much the same thickness, so I'm not too worried about it.

Cool, that makes me feel a lot better!!!!!!!:thumb:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am scared of Risse, they have some good "imagineers" over there but could benefit greatly from an actual engineer. Those crowns look better than the Go-Ride ones and they come in color options to boot! Gold would be pretty cool. oh yeah and they're cheaper. I would probably get those over GR but until both of them are really proven (not to catastrophically fail) I am still, as always a skeptic. I bet next year Marz will have a shallow crown of their own. You know Marz tested the stock crowns at least to an incredible level, I doubt Risse and GR have done the same, remember the first batch of Stratos S7 crowns??? All I can say is you better wear a full-face every time you ride.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by punkassean
I am scared of Risse, they have some good "imagineers" over there but could benefit greatly from an actual engineer. Those crowns look better than the Go-Ride ones and they come in color options to boot! Gold would be pretty cool. oh yeah and they're cheaper. I would probably get those over GR but until both of them are really proven (not to catastrophically fail) I am still, as always a skeptic. I bet next year Marz will have a shallow crown of their own. You know Marz tested the stock crowns at least to an incredible level, I doubt Risse and GR have done the same, remember the first batch of Stratos S7 crowns??? All I can say is you better wear a full-face every time you ride.
um besides the fact that the employees are stoners extraordinaire, Kevin Risse himself is one hell of an engineer as well as imagineer. While some of his products may be a little, uh lacking, don't be so fast to jump to conclusions.

You do know they make airplane parts for various companies right? Including Lancair etc.:rolleyes:

So ya, until you actually know what the hell you are talking about, don't go bashing on people's integrity. As far as I know, no risse crown has ever catastrophically failed, including when i used to run them into trees at 40mph (ask motionboy2 about this).

Edit: It pisses me off when someone attacks kevin risse personally due to the fact that his employees are retarded. I have known him a long time, and he has done nothing but treat me with respect and offerred to help out whenever he could. Hell he flew me all over the damn place for 2 seasons.

He has also tried on numerous occassions to fire off all the useless stoners and hire new employees, unfortunately, finding someone to assemble forks all day for a little over minimum wage attracts a certain sort of person. (ie: not engineers)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Originally posted by Transcend
um ......including when i used to run them into trees at 40mph (ask motionboy2 about this).

Edit: It pisses me off when someone attacks kevin risse personally due to the fact that his employees are retarded. I have known him a long time, and he has done nothing but treat me with respect and offerred to help out whenever he could. Hell he flew me all over the damn place for 2 seasons......
heh, I saw you nail a tree but good at Vermont 2 years ago. You're a good product tester....:p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
heh, I saw you nail a tree but good at Vermont 2 years ago. You're a good product tester....:p
Why thank you! If i can't break it riding like a maniac and hitting things, then no 220 lb sort of in control rider can either. :D

Remember, vermont 2 years ago i was riding on a very very broken wrist too. 17 weeks in a cast i believe it ended up being. I'm sure racing through yardsale didnt help. :(

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Transcend
um besides the fact that the employees are stoners extraordinaire, Kevin Risse himself is one hell of an engineer as well as imagineer. While some of his products may be a little, uh lacking, don't be so fast to jump to conclusions.

You do know they make airplane parts for various companies right? Including Lancair etc.:rolleyes:

So ya, until you actually know what the hell you are talking about, don't go bashing on people's integrity. As far as I know, no risse crown has ever catastrophically failed, including when i used to run them into trees at 40mph (ask motionboy2 about this).

Edit: It pisses me off when someone attacks kevin risse personally due to the fact that his employees are retarded. I have known him a long time, and he has done nothing but treat me with respect and offerred to help out whenever he could. Hell he flew me all over the damn place for 2 seasons.

He has also tried on numerous occassions to fire off all the useless stoners and hire new employees, unfortunately, finding someone to assemble forks all day for a little over minimum wage attracts a certain sort of person. (ie: not engineers)
Soooorry dude, but when one of your companies most well known products is a bar-end plug that doubles as a doob pipe, you tend to loose just a smidge of credibility. I didn't steal Kevin Risse's credibility, he gave it away. Nice guy or not, I don't know? But I do know his products are lack luster just like the majority of his employees. Even if he tried to eliminate his stoner work force, he failed. I suppose his fork designs do the twist better than Chubby Checker and seep lubricating fluids like Christina Aguilerra because he is "a damn good engineer"? You really know how to beat around the bush. I still can't believe your attitude for a so called industry "professional". Take a deep breath and count to 10...:rolleyes: This is not about you! there is no need to be so defensive.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by punkassean
Nah dog, we tested ours (stress testing, finite element analysis, actually riding them for about three months before production started). Risse probably did too. Just for the record, I wanted to make the crowns in gold but got shot down. Imagine having your crowns, rebound/compression knobs, and ProTaper all matching. It would be like riding with Stefane Roncada. Or something. Back to important stuff where I actually know what I'm talking about, we tested the crowns and I would bet Risse at least did some FEA on their crowns.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
Nah dog, we tested ours (stress testing, finite element analysis, actually riding them for about three months before production started). Risse probably did too. Just for the record, I wanted to make the crowns in gold but got shot down. Imagine having your crowns, rebound/compression knobs, and ProTaper all matching. It would be like riding with Stefane Roncada. Or something. Back to important stuff where I actually know what I'm talking about, we tested the crowns and I would bet Risse at least did some FEA on their crowns.
James,
That is nice to know and very reassuring. For the record, when I said the Risse crowns looked better than GR, I really meant looked (esthetically), I like how Risse made theirs a bit more contoured. But really I like that they come in black or gold, silver doesn't make sense at all to me. I can see black because the fork is already black and gold because of the reasons you mentioned, but silver or pewter are fugly...Keep up the good work!

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Whoa whoa whoa, those days are over, my hair is now a respectable natural brown with an "adult" haircut. I think we should have done a few of the crowns in 3D violet, in homage to the old AC crowns for the original Judy forks.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by James | Go-Ride
Whoa whoa whoa, those days are over, my hair is now a respectable natural brown with an "adult" haircut.
an "adult haircut" means what? I remember a while back one of you guys cut the Go-Ride logo into the cack of your heads, now that was an adult haircut.

When are my shin guards going to arrive, tomorrow or friday? i m stupid and lost the tracking number

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
what a love fest here! Anyway, I just finished staring long and hard at my 888 and almost got misty eyed. What a work of art.

I still can't believe it took so long to come out with this fork from Marzocchi. I'm so stoked to point it down Snowshoe.....

Maybe if my commission check is fat enough this month, I'll get one of those crowns.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Kanter
I think the silver GR crowns rock.... Plus they match the post and lock rings.
Your bike is the first one I've seen where I can honestly say the silver crowns look really good. I think it is because they make your 888 look like a Wet One.