Quantcast

Risse 888 crown/steerer, just got one.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I'm a little bored of people bashing risse. I've had a jupiter 5R for the last two seasons and it's been great. Far out-performing the fox that was on my bike and feeling almost as good as my friends avy. They'll build it to your style and in almost any length and stroke you want(anything resonable that is). The CS has been great also, I would buy more stuff from them and will get another shock when I get a bullit(they will make it 8 inch). Moral of the story is DON'T BASH UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALY BEEN WRONGED BY THEM.:angry: :D

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Lexx D
I'm a little bored of people bashing risse. I've had a jupiter 5R for the last two seasons and it's been great. Far out-performing the fox that was on my bike and feeling almost as good as my friends avy. They'll build it to your style and in almost any length and stroke you want(anything resonable that is). The CS has been great also, I would buy more stuff from them and will get another shock when I get a bullit(they will make it 8 inch). Moral of the story is DON'T BASH UNLESS YOU HAVE PERSONALY BEEN WRONGED BY THEM.:angry: :D
I don’t think that the problem with Risse is specifically CS, but that they seem to have an issue putting out “Friday” products. Things like quality control and precision of their work just isn’t where it should be. For every person who is happy with a product of theirs, there seems to be a person who is equally dissatisfied.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by Inclag
I don’t think that the problem with Risse is specifically CS, but that they seem to have an issue putting out “Friday” products. Things like quality control and precision of their work just isn’t where it should be. For every person who is happy with a product of theirs, there seems to be a person who is equally dissatisfied.
exactly... I have not owned a Risse product but I have friends who have and let's just say none of them ever owned more than one Risse shock/fork. I don't bash products I don't know. But I don't have to have personally owned a product to know it doesn't work.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've never heard of people having an issue with any of there machined parts. Am I wrong here?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I've never heard of people having an issue with any of there machined parts. Am I wrong here?
With my Risse Champ, I never had any issues with any of the larger parts such as the crowns (they don't require the same amount of precision). It was the smaller intricate parts and things like the seals and bushings as well as poor assembly that gave me issues.

I have also heard of many issues on the internet that could be associated with poor assembly and precision.

I wouldn't worry about your crowns. It would take a very big screw-up on their part and some big oversights (ex. FEA analysis) to mess them up.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well thats my point is they really don't have problems with machined parts. Back in 96 when I had my SC Tazmon the Astro 5 shock blew like every other week, but they were 45 min away from my house so I would shoot over there and they would fix it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

With my Risse Champ, I never had any issues with any of the larger parts such as the crowns (they don't require the same amount of precision). It was the smaller intricate parts and things like the seals and bushings as well as poor assembly that gave me issues.

I have also heard of many issues on the internet that could be associated with poor assembly and and precision.

I wouldn't worry about your crowns. It would take a very big screw-up on their part and some big oversights (ex. FEA analysis) to mess them up.
Yep, I beat the crap out of a used 7 inch Champ for a season.
By the end, I had dented an upper (totally my fault), and one of the seals was leaking a little.
I sent it to Risse to fix everything, they upgraded it to 8 inches, and basically sent me back a whole new fork. The only thing the same on it was the crowns and the axle. I think they did all this for a little over $200, and this was not any sponsorship deal.
I proceeded to ride that fork all year with no problems except that the seals were too tight, and it took a good run to loosen them up (but they never leaked.) So, I had a good experience with them myself, I just felt like there alot better race forks out there for what I needed.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i'm running a big daddy'ed risse champ, i'm very happy with the performance, i havnt had it long enough to comment on durablity or seal life, but everything is excellent just now, seals are a little tight, causeing a little initial stiction, but after it has been compressed a couple of times this completly dissappears.

i dont have to deal with risse directly, i dont know if this is a bonus or not but CVI in the UK have been one of the best companies i've ever dealt with.

all these mixed opinions about risse are a bit worrying, but i knew what i was getting in for when i got the fork, i decided the deal was too good to pass up, so i decided to try it out for myself, if they turn out to be poor, i'll sell em and get me some 888's but if things keep going as they are i'm keeping them without a doubt.

i think risse have been getting a bit of a rough time on here recently, not only on this thread, i really dont think its fair on them. i find it really hard to beleive that they are what some of you guys are making them out to be.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
My shock was the first they made for a balfa. They made 2-3 mods to the shock before we got it perfect. I also clapped the spring once(my fault) and the ring was cocked sideways and stuck. I sent it in and it was back in a week or two good as new. Like I said i highly recomend the rear shocks.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by steve45

i think risse have been getting a bit of a rough time on here recently, not only on this thread, i really dont think its fair on them. i find it really hard to beleive that they are what some of you guys are making them out to be.
We all have said the majority of their employees are stoners and that their products are hit or miss. It's not like we are slaggin' them hardcore, it's just that we don't really care for what they have to offer. It is hard for small companies like Risse to stay in the game with the big 3 being so dominant. Risse is not a bad company per say it's just that people have come to expect a lot from suspension products over the last few years and Risse doesn't quite compare to the major players. For example, I used to ride all Stratos products years ago but I wrote them off due to poor QC/CS/managment. Now they have a few new and promising concepts, of course I will be more skeptical of them in the future but not completely closed off. I am just going by what I've seen in the past...I hope that Risse's products are better now and that every :monkey: who is running their stuff has good luck with it. I don't think anybody is really trying to bag on Risse exactly? If nothing else, we all seem to like their 888 crowns. Although I was worried about their structural integrity initially, I did give them credit for offering a cheaper alternative than GR and more colors to choose from.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by punkassean
We all have said the majority of their employees are stoners and that their products are hit or miss. It's not like we are slaggin' them hardcore, it's just that we don't really care for what they have to offer. It is hard for small companies like Risse to stay in the game with the big 3 being so dominant. Risse is not a bad company per say it's just that people have come to expect a lot from suspension products over the last few years and Risse doesn't quite compare to the major players. For example, I used to ride all Stratos products years ago but I wrote them off due to poor QC/CS/managment. Now they have a few new and promising concepts, of course I will be more skeptical of them in the future but not completely closed off. I am just going by what I've seen in the past...I hope that Risse's products are better now and that every :monkey: who is running their stuff has good luck with it. I don't think anybody is really trying to bag on Risse exactly? If nothing else, we all seem to like their 888 crowns. Although I was worried about their structural integrity initially, I did give them credit for offering a cheaper alternative than GR and more colors to choose from.
From what I hear Risse's customer service is actually pretty good.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
......It is hard for small companies like Risse to stay in the game with the big 3 being so dominant. Risse is not a bad company per say it's just that people have come to expect a lot from suspension products over the last few years and Risse doesn't quite compare to the major players. .......
which brings up another thing. I'm not defending Risse here by any means, but I'm definitely of the mind that 2 other companies should be tossed in the same boat if we're talking about "advanced products".

Manitou & Rock Shox are still 2 VERY hokey companies with products that have as many flaws as they do pluses.

Rock Shox have been prone to puke, spike, wear, and in my case the lowers twisted.

Manitou still acts like it's 1958 and uses grease....grease, to lube thier forks. Their equipment has locked up, seized up (mine and 3 other teammates), snapped off, cracked, failed and generally been too flexy.

As fas as I'm concerned the only company that is consistently building legitamite, durable, technologically sound and functionally useful products is Marzocchi.

Right now the only other company close to their track record is Fox...and they're still working some bugs out on their stuff too.

My personal take is this...Rock Shox and Manitou are still "cyclists" trying to build "suspension".

Marzocchi and Fox are "suspension" trying to build for "cyclists".
They both already KNOW what works from years and years of experience. Every time I see a Rock Shox or Manitou design, I can see and feel the difference.

At this time, having a 888 has made me so happy because I trust the minds that built it. I can look at it and SEE that it is built right the first time. The feel is completely different. It's just one of those things you can bolt on and forget about.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
From what I hear Risse's customer service is actually pretty good.
I said that Stratos CS was lacking, I have had no experiences with Risses CS either way.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I know, I just wanted to mention that. It is too bad about Stratos, I really like their forks.
I give Stratos credit for their new inertia valve fork cartridges. They are now making replacement cartridges for popular forks. I tried their TALAS cartridge at sea-otter and it was too stiff and felt like it "wasn't there yet". Then I tried it a few weeks later after they had further de-bugged it (new shims etc.) and it felt great, it activated easily and felt very smooth yet efficient. They have added it to the S8 which helps keep it from diving under braking. which it was known to do badly. So maybe there is hope after all. But I have to say that Fox is pretty much killing it right now. The new DH fork debuts this weekend at BB! can't wait to see it, someone please post pics ASAP!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I give Stratos credit for their new inertia valve fork cartridges. They are now making replacement cartridges for popular forks. I tried their TALAS cartridge at sea-otter and it was too stiff and felt like it "wasn't there yet". Then I tried it a few weeks later after they had further de-bugged it (new shims etc.) and it felt great, it activated easily and felt very smooth yet efficient. They have added it to the S8 which helps keep it from diving under braking. which it was known to do badly. So maybe there is hope after all. But I have to say that Fox is pretty much killing it right now. The new DH fork debuts this weekend at BB! can't wait to see it, someone please post pics ASAP!!!
Sounds interesting, can't wait to check it out.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
We all have said the majority of their employees are stoners and that their products are hit or miss. It's not like we are slaggin' them hardcore, it's just that we don't really care for what they have to offer.
who is this we, you speak of? thanks for speaking on behalf of ALL monkeys...:rolleyes:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Originally posted by ragin-sagin
who is this we, you speak of? thanks for speaking on behalf of ALL monkeys...:rolleyes:
we, as in "some of you guys, the people giving Risse a hard time"

I was replying to a post by Steve 45, that said...

quote:
Originally posted by steve45

That is why I bothered to quote his original post in my reply and this one. I figured that would make it pretty clear who I was speaking for. I am clearly not speaking on behalf of "all monkeys" as you said. I was merely re-iterating many of the things that have been posted by various other members of this forum in this and other threads. I wouldn't put words in other people mouths. Please don't jump into a stale thread and try to bring it back to life with useless dramatic BS.:rolleyes: I really fail to see how he "got me there"?