Quantcast

Risse or Go-Ride crowns?

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I'm looking at getting new crowns for my 888 to lower the front end (as well as bars with less rise). Does anyone have any input on why I should go with the Go-Rides instead of the Risses?

I know that the guy from Go-Ride said that the the Risse crowns only drop the front of your bike about half an inch, yet on Risse's site it says they drop it 1-1.5". Which is it? You would think that Risse would know how far the crowns really drop the fork (maybe it's dependent upon tire size?) but then again it would be pretty irresponsible for Go-Ride to contradict their claims unless they had some sort of proof. I wouldn't expect wild guessing, especially of the derogatory sort from any reputable business.

I wonder what the weight difference is? Go-Ride lists theirs as 88 grams lighter than stock, and Risse lists theirs as 1.5lbs but without knowing the weight of the stock crowns I can't make any comparison there.

I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for a better product but I'm having a hard time getting myself to spend twice as much for the Go-Rides unless I can see a tangible benefit over the Risses.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Damn, they found me. I knew there was another thread that touched on some of these subjects but between the photochopping and the ridiculous tire topic it turned into I didn't want to revive that thread.

Silly bastards :rolleyes:

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I saw in the other thread that you had a beef against Risse. Besides the customer service is there any other reason?

The Risses are $150 vs $300 for the Go-Rides. Cutting the price in half buys a lot of slack as far as customer service goes in my book. The higher priced the item is that you're selling for half the price the more crappy customer service I'll put up with. Hell, if you want to sell me a new Demo 9 for $2250 instead of the usual $4500 you could kick me in the nuts and I'd still walk away a satisfied customer.

If it was a $15 difference I'd pay the extra for customer service but with Go-Ride wanting twice as much I want to know if there is any technical reason they are superior.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by dropmachine.com
Deal. :D
Bring it to Whistler, I get delivery and you get to ride Whistler. I'm sure I'll regret this for a few hours but having a bike to ride for a few years after that should make it worth it.

Besides, I've been kicked in the nuts for a hole lot less than two grand.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I'd trust Risse, they have been making crowns for quite a while.
Word. There is absolutely nothing wrong with their machine work. I've seen plenty of their aftermarket machined parts and they are top quality.

As far as the claims of 1"-1.5" of drop, I guess you'll just have to see. If it doesn't happen or the arch hits, return the crowns.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I think there was something in one of the other threads, about how the risse crowns contact the arch of the fork, which is why you can only lower them 1/2".

If your not looking to go any lower than that, I think the risse's should be fine.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Fulton
I think there was something in one of the other threads, about how the risse crowns contact the arch of the fork, which is why you can only lower them 1/2".

If your not looking to go any lower than that, I think the risse's should be fine.
I love how once something is mentioned it's almost fact. Not that I'm faulting you for remembering it it just seemed to come from a suspicious source, a guy at Go-Ride who hasn't actually seen a pair of them in person.

In that same thread someone else who bought a set said he thought it lowered his bike about 1.5" but he didn't measure it. Risse's site also says that it lowers the bike 1-1.5"

I'll call Risse tomorrow and see if they are cool with returns if it doesn't give me at least an inch lower with a 2.8 Michi on the front.

One other piece that I didn't understand is that on Go-Ride's site it says that you can get just the lower crown to lower the front of your bike including the head tube, and that the upper crown is only needed if you want to lower your handlebar height additionally. That makes no sense to me at all, how would an upper crown affect your handlebar height? It's not like the Zoch upper crown is excessively thick, it's not even half an inch. Does that make sense to anyone else or is it just the Go-Ride guys trying to sell parts?

Normally I wouldn't think they would be the type to do that as they have such a good reputation but after seeing them make statements about how a competitors product functions with nothing at all to back it up I am starting to wonder if they won't just say whatever it takes to sell the crowns. After all, if you have a 888, you NEED the new Go-Ride crowns!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by crashing_sux

One other piece that I didn't understand is that on Go-Ride's site it says that you can get just the lower crown to lower the front of your bike including the head tube, and that the upper crown is only needed if you want to lower your handlebar height additionally. That makes no sense to me at all, how would an upper crown affect your handlebar height?
You gotta understand drop crowns to understand what they are saying, and yes it is true.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by Jm_
You gotta understand drop crowns to understand what they are saying, and yes it is true.
I'd like to understand. Is there a link or a picture you could send me to that would explain it? Looking at my bike right now directly on top of my headset is the Zoch upper crown (.5") and directly on top of that is my stem. Unless it was thinner than the .5" what difference does having a drop or flat crown make? I can see that it changes where the crown clamps to the stanchions, but I don't see how it would change the stem (or handlebar) height.

Anyone have a better answer than "trust me, it's true but you just can't understand it"?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, there's a "clamping area" on the fork, because you used a flat-lower crown, you can't just run the upper crown "lower" on the fork, it's still gotta be in that "clamping area", and since it's a drop-type crown (even if it's a slight drop), there's going to be a pretty big area underneeth the crown where you HAVE to run spacers. If you replace the top crown with a flat crown, you do not have to run these spacers, and your handlebar will be lower.

The drop crown is an "arch", that is the key.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
I get it now. The clamping area was the piece I wasn't getting. My rubber bumpers were lined up right against the end of the clamping area so I couldn't see it and didn't realize you couldn't just slide the upper clamps down an inch on the fork.

Thanks for the explanation.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i asked risse specifically about the crowns hitting the arch and the answer was "NO". i believed them and ill have some here soon to test out.

they are available at wholesale so that sort of made the whole goride vs risse discussion a bit pointless, the price diff was too big.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Originally posted by Jm_
Ok, there's a "clamping area" on the fork, because you used a flat-lower crown, you can't just run the upper crown "lower" on the fork, it's still gotta be in that "clamping area", and since it's a drop-type crown (even if it's a slight drop), there's going to be a pretty big area underneeth the crown where you HAVE to run spacers. If you replace the top crown with a flat crown, you do not have to run these spacers, and your handlebar will be lower.

The drop crown is an "arch", that is the key.
To add to what Jm_ is saying.

If you have a bike with a shorter headtube, the Go-Ride crown will make a difference. On the other hand, with bikes with taller headtubes, it will not make a diffference and you should be able to use either crowns.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
Originally posted by crashing_sux
I love how once something is mentioned it's almost fact. Not that I'm faulting you for remembering it it just seemed to come from a suspicious source, a guy at Go-Ride who hasn't actually seen a pair of them in person.
You go boy!! I saw that and it bothered me too when they first posted...basically he saw a small chip in the paint and concluded that the Risse crowns contact the arch under compression. Well those pictures were of the prototypes...I would imagine that during testing and development the Go-Ride crowns probably hit the arch as well...As an engineer myself I can also say that Risse may be some pot smoking units, but some of the engineering/design work they have done is VERY smart and innovative...my $0.02.

Oct 1, 2001
Michigan
My Risse crowns for my 888 will be here by Friday and I'll provide all the details. After speaking with them I think there are no interference issues with the brake arch. The tech I spoke with took some measurements of the set-up while I was on the phone and it lowered the fork 1.5."

As I said, I'll have all the details soon and will post, but at half the price of the GR crowns I don't see how you can go wrong.