Quantcast

Rize Up!!

boosted1

Chimp
Mar 17, 2009
so, I've done a search and still my questions aren't answered. looking to update my stable this year with some xc racing equipment. I'm not a big fan of the typical 1-3" of travel most dedicated xc bikes have. I'm leaning towards the lighter end of the "free ride" category especially since they are getting lighter and lighter, and the travel is getting to be 4, 5, even 6". up for consideration are the cannondale rize 3 & 4, the specialized stumpy comp & expert, trek fuel ex 8, and maybe the Cdale rush 3, or if i can find a deal, the carbon 2. any thoughts from the peanut gallery?? most of these bike are floating in the 28lb range give or take, and all around 2,600. granted a wheel/tire upgrade, components, etc will shave weight too, but more importantly, does anyone own any of these bikes?? if so, how do they climb?? obviously with that much travel the downhill side is all :busted::busted:. has anyone raced these bikes? how'd you do?? i have a 35lb Cdale jekyll that i train on when I'm not on the road bike, so strength isn't the issue so much. any input would be great, thx

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If you dont like 4" the scalpel offers for racing, I would pick a Rize over a Rush. Though with a Rize/Rush its overlapping what you'd be using the jekyll for, but still not getting the snappiness of a dedicated XC burner.

boosted1

Chimp
Mar 17, 2009
to be quite honest i'm very impressed with the rize, the high end one weighs like 24lbs!! I'm not totally sold on the lefty thing, which is why i like the rize 4, because it comes with fox goodness front and back. maybe some carbon cranks and some tubeless crossmax's i think i could get close to the 24lb mark, the scalpel has the flexy chainstay thing, I tend to color outside the lines so to speak (ie crash) and i like the pivot better. my jekyll is just my trainer, i have DH tires on it, broken shifter etc. its just to make me work. plus my camelbak fully loaded is around 25lbs so even the thought of having a bike that light is exciting. I'm not a pro, but i like to chase them!! :rockout::rockout:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
My buddy who rides for Cannondale raced a Rush and had no complaints; in fact he loved it over the older Scalpel. Now his XC machine is the new Scalpel and he has a Rize for burlier XC rides and races like the Downieville classic.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I am looking at rizes myself right now, although for different things, and here is what I have found:

Best value: rize 4. In paying the extra 600 for the three you get the lefty (which is a superior fork, don't get me wrong), no upgrade to shifting, and a bit of a downgrade in the wheel department. All in all, based on weight figures I've managed to dig up you save yourself around 2 lbs. If I were to spend extra money over the rize 4 it would have to be for the rize 2, so I would get the carbon frame, carbon lefty, bb30, and x.0.

Since I am looking for an all mtn rig, not an xc racer, the choice is obviously the rize over other models and as far as that is concerned, the 4 seems like the best value.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, from your list, I think the Rize would be my first choice, but I haven't ridden one personally...just know people who have a loved it. As for the lefty...I never had an issue with mine (on a jekyll).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeti 575 is the perfect long travel XC bike. Just consider a larger size than normal. The actual TT lengths seem shorter than advertised.

.darcy.

Chimp
Jan 10, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
I rode a Rize 3 all last year and absolutely loved it. I don't know if you have ever had the opportunity to really spend some time on a lefty bit it is a really nice handling fork. With some minor upgrades (Ti saddle, Time pedals, and a Stan's Tubless kit) I had the rise 3 down to a respectable 26.5lbs. This bike climbs really well and rides really balanced. I now have a Rize 2 carbon and actually like the Rockshox internals of the Rize 3 lefty better.