Quantcast

Rm Article of the Week - '09 OTS Wrist Brace Review

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
ok, so I broke my wrist(right along the growth plate) last year and have been looking at this lately. I have 99% of my movement back but when using my wrist and riding (even on a stationary trainer) I feel it, it doesn't necessarily hurt its just more annoying. Do you guys with experience with this brace think this will help my problems? Also, before anyone asks, I have been doing quite a bit of wrist work-outs to help recover better.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am basically using it for that exact reason. I have most of my mobility back now, but it's very tight feeling, for lack of a better word. After a full day of riding it is sore and I sometimes get shooting pains from big impacts.

I would say it would be worth trying? Does a tape job help you? I find i get very similiar support from this as a tape job, only more firm. Your movement isnt arrested at the point you want it to with tape, with this it stops suddenly without being too tight the rest of the way.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Thanks. And I have not had the chance to try tape yet as all I can do right now is ride inside and do some strength workouts as it is mighty cold here. But I will definitely try tape early season and if doesn't work i'll look into one of these.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
ok, so I broke my wrist(right along the growth plate) last year and have been looking at this lately. I have 99% of my movement back but when using my wrist and riding (even on a stationary trainer) I feel it, it doesn't necessarily hurt its just more annoying. Do you guys with experience with this brace think this will help my problems? Also, before anyone asks, I have been doing quite a bit of wrist work-outs to help recover better.
I broke mine the same way 8 years ago and it still occasionally gives me some trouble. I use 3 or 4 wraps of 2" medical tape and it works great for me. I've tried different braces and I actually prefer the restrictive feeling of the tape.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I am basically using it for that exact reason. I have most of my mobility back now, but it's very tight feeling, for lack of a better word. After a full day of riding it is sore and I sometimes get shooting pains from big impacts.

I would say it would be worth trying? Does a tape job help you? I find i get very similiar support from this as a tape job, only more firm. Your movement isnt arrested at the point you want it to with tape, with this it stops suddenly without being too tight the rest of the way.
So does the brace just limit extreme movement (hyper-flexion?) of the wrist but not support it in between the limits? I like some support at all points of movement, especially when an impact is absorbed by the wrist compressing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So does the brace just limit extreme movement (hyper-flexion?) of the wrist but not support it in between the limits? I like some support at all points of movement, especially when an impact is absorbed by the wrist compressing.
It does support it between the limits, but it's mostly due to the tension in the pivots, not by any mechanical means. It's more a means of support and protection than anything else. For the injuries I've sustained, and the majority of MTB and MX guys get, it's perfect.

It would be excellent combined with tape in my opinion.

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
I also have one of these for the same reason, (shattered schapphoid bone) I got injured back in April 07 and still use this brace religiously, one of the best investments I've made towards racing. I cant seem to pick out any major differences between my 07 model and this new one though?

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Thanks. And I have not had the chance to try tape yet as all I can do right now is ride inside and do some strength workouts as it is mighty cold here. But I will definitely try tape early season and if doesn't work i'll look into one of these.
A bit, off topic.
May you tell me how to do good strength works outs.
My wrist is fu... too.