Quantcast

RM parents...toys, lead, etc.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
We just try to buy better quality toys and basically put a gift giving moratorium on family to cut down the amount of crap our boys get.

IME, the kids biggest enemy is themselves. My boys (2 & 5) were playing out back the other day. One moment they're digging worms together and the next minute the 5yo is hitting his brother over the head with a shovel.

If I wasn't inside getting another beer I would've throttled that kid! :busted: All of our emergency room visits have been caused by fraticide. Can't blame china for that.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We just try to buy better quality toys and basically put a gift giving moratorium on family to cut down the amount of crap our boys get.

IME, the kids biggest enemy is themselves. My boys (2 & 5) were playing out back the other day. One moment they're digging worms together and the next minute the 5yo is hitting his brother over the head with a shovel.

If I wasn't inside getting another beer I would've throttled that kid! :busted: All of our emergency room visits have been fraticide. Can't blame china for that.
Awesome.

All I want is for my kid to be healthy enough to chase other kids with a shovel. Is that too much to ask?

:monkeydance:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
H8R - just to pose this as a question ( I don't know how old your kids are) - but do you allow your kids to eat fast food? McDonalds / Booger Kang / Wendys / etc? A single meal from any of these places is far more detrimental to one's health than a toy with minuscule amounts of lead paint (which only poses a threat if the child actually ingests it).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Awesome.

All I want is for my kid to be healthy enough to chase other kids with a shovel. Is that too much to ask?

:monkeydance:
My daughter outruns every boy in her class. She is now learning how to beat each one of them up, so my work is 90% finished.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
H8R - just to pose this as a question ( I don't know how old your kids are) - but do you allow your kids to eat fast food? McDonalds / Booger Kang / Wendys / etc? A single meal from any of these places is far more detrimental to one's health than a toy with minuscule amounts of lead paint (which only poses a threat if the child actually ingests it).
I can tell you there is no way our kid is eating that crap until he can pay for himself.

I saw a three year old today eating chips and drinking a Sprite. Three? That's child abuse.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
H8R - just to pose this as a question ( I don't know how old your kids are) - but do you allow your kids to eat fast food? McDonalds / Booger Kang / Wendys / etc? A single meal from any of these places is far more detrimental to one's health.
16, unborn and generally, no.

And I disagree, kids can burn off an occasional fast food meal if their diet is generally healthy and well balanced.

They can't pee out lead.

edit: I'm mostly talking about baby toys here btw - most kids old enough to eat fast food aren't ingesting toys. :D

Just for reference, before the media hype as of late I already had this attitude towards cheap sh1tty toys.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You may need to check to see if your daughter is, in fact, your daughter. She might be hiding a Jimmy Dean tube steak in her pants. :busted:
She just goes to school with fat kids who watch too much TV. She would rather play outside, and that seems to be far less common that I would have thought.

She is growing up to be both a cyclist and a soccer player, not a champion X-Box player.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Absolutely incorrect.

It's like saying, should we go play in a polluted lake to the east or a really clean one to the west?
No what I am saying is your polluted lake has maybe 1ml of pollutants and you are freaking out and avoiding the lake. Then go use the clean one to the west.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
She just goes to school with fat kids who watch too much TV. She would rather play outside, and that seems to be far less common that I would have thought.

She is growing up to be both a cyclist and a soccer player, not a champion X-Box player.
If shes starts to like softball you might want to start wondering.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
No what I am saying is your polluted lake has maybe 1ml of pollutants and you are freaking out and avoiding the lake. Then go use the clean one to the west.
That's like saying that you'll just stay with your psycho gf cuz she's only a little crazy :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW -

Just so everyone here understands, I am the greatest parent that ever lived and my standards and views on parenting are the only ones that really matter.

Thank you.

:thumb:

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
That's like saying that you'll just stay with your psycho gf cuz she's only a little crazy :D
Sure if the good things out weigh the bad. Life is about calculated risks, some are willing to take more risks. Some of these risks will have absolutely no effect on you. I know several people that did not enjoy the numerous lakes around us where I grew up. All because they thought the water was not good to be in:disgust1:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I have no problem with my kids eating fast food on occasion (even once a week) My 8 year old son only weighs 54lbs, the kid can't sit still so he burns it off. I welcome the thought of putting a few more pounds on him.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My 8 year old son only weighs 54lbs, the kid can't sit still so he burns it off. I welcome the thought of putting a few more pounds on him.
Feed him toy car headlights. The resulting lethargy will add some weight.

:D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BTW -

Just so everyone here understands, I am the greatest parent that ever lived and my standards and views on parenting are the only ones that really matter.

Thank you.

Technically, my dad is the greatest, but you can be #2.

#1, I order you to take a #2... huh huh.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Technically, my dad is the greatest, but you can be #2.

#1, I order you to take a #2... huh huh.
Your dad never met me, he would concede.

Everything about me screams, "Awesome Parent".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BTW -

Thank you.

Then why start a thread asking us what to do? Stop the mind games. I think you are turning into a woman too.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
My daughter outruns every boy in her class. She is now learning how to beat each one of them up, so my work is 90% finished.
Haha, I remember that girl in my class. She was my best friend (I was the tiny little kid who was sensitive and nice and got the crap beat out of him). I think until I was in 5th grade she was able to beat up most of my bullies. I think she's now at UCLA doing a masters in BioChem.

Good on you for raising a cool daughter.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Feed him toy car headlights. The resulting lethargy will add some weight.

:D
You'd think so. My oldest ate a mag-lite bulb a few years back. Other than having a light bulb in his crap, nothing changed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And I disagree, kids can burn off an occasional fast food meal if their diet is generally healthy and well balanced.
This is true. I forgot to take into account that there are people who eat fast food in moderation. Unlike the majority of these fat wankers for whom McD's comprises the base of their food pyramid.

Sounds like where I went to college. PS don't let your daughter go to RIT.