Quantcast

RMX vs. DirtBag

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
I am looking at an 2005 RMX verses an 2006 Transition DirtBag (both new). I have a heckler for trail riding and I'm looking for a bigger bike for more aggro freeriding. I will do some bike park and shuttling but I want to pedal it as well. I live in Nor Cal.

Observed differences:
Suspension design - is one better than the other?
TT length - The DirtBag has a shorter TT creating a smaller cockpit
Weight - RMX is 13lbs. vs. DirtBag which is 11lbs.
Crash replacement - RMX= limited vs. DirtBag = lifetime unlimited

Any advice? I'm mainly concerned about how they perform on the trail.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The RMX is a sweet bike, but you will not want to pedal it up hill. It's a wicked bike to race, I'm sure. But if you need to pedal, the Dirt Bag is a damn fine ride.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Personally I have had probs with Rocky Mountains Warranty. The Switch and RM7 frames crack where the shock mounts. I am really good about caring for and checking my bikes. Rocky would not even offer a crash replacement on my Switch. I have ridden with the owners of Transition, and I know they are good guys that stand behind their product 100%. I have seen a lot of broken Rockies, and haven't seen any transitions.

I am unbiased, I don't own either, but between the two it would be a transition, although I would go with the Gran Mal.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
For all the reasons stated above, I'd go with a Transition. I do not own one, but I have spoken to both Kevin & Kyle who were really great to deal with. I have looked hard at the Transition stuff and nobody has anything bad to say about them. I read somewhere that somebody saw someone's friend's brother's firend's next door neeighbour's D'Bag fold in half on an easy roller, but take that for what is worth (nothing).

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
I had an RM7, loved it until the frame cracked at the shock mounts as mentioned above. That's beside the point though. The RM7 (same for RMX) sits super high and is as heavy as a motorcycle. There is zero sack clearance on standover. Rides down real nice but did I mention it's heavy?

Haven't ridden the Dirtbag but from owning a Preston FR, I gotta vote Dirtbag with coil.