Quantcast

Road and commuting peeps...which clipless pedals??

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I want to get some clipless pedals, but don't really have any idea on what works well. I have a single speed track bike that I have been commuting to work on and I really hate the clips that it came with. Looking for some clipless shoes/pedals and thought I would ask for some suggestions. Do MTB and road cranks have the same pedal threads?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
If you really want clipless I'd go with some SPDs or generic equivalent. they're cheap, easy to replace, durable for mountain/rain use, and they should work well in an urban environment.

I'd grab a set of non-XC spandex boy shoes and carry your dress shoes to work. There's no need for neon if you're just commuting.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Right now, I have just been wearing my padded Oakely shorts. I can go without neon. I have uniforms/boots that I leave at work, so I really don't pack much besides underwear/socks/undershirt and tools. Are mtb and road pedals the same thread size?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I use SPD's and an old pair of Answer Tecopas that I have still kicking.

Leave your dress shoes at work, carrying shoes takes up too much room/weight in a commuting pack.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I wear my mtn bike shoes for both road/commute and mtb so I use Shimano SPD pedals on all my bikes. I like the mtn bike shoes for climbing stairs, etc. Road shoes are fine if you don't plan on walking more than 10'

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
i'd go with something like an SPD or Time. for me i find Crank Bros. work well but you can find cheaper pedals in SPD
MTB shoes and Time pedals.
Road shoes are great for pure power but suck when you have to walk around or get on a train.
I use egg beaters and my mountian bike shoes for my single speed road commuter. If the only road bike your riding is your commuting machine I cant say it makes sense to buy road shoes.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I run flats on all my other bikes, but I think I might have a set of spd pedals and mountain shoes still around. I rode them for a bit when I first starting mountain biking, but hated it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I wear my mtn bike shoes for both road/commute and mtb so I use Shimano SPD pedals on all my bikes. I like the mtn bike shoes for climbing stairs, etc. Road shoes are fine if you don't plan on walking more than 10'
Ditto. The better mountain bike shoes are really stiff and light these days so you're not really giving up a whole lot. My commute involves walking on polished concrete and tile floors in train stations, that stuff is like glass in road shoes. I gave it up years ago.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If I commuted on my bike every day I would buy some super high end XC shoes like the Shimano with that get molded to you feet. I really like Time pedals with the additional float vs. SPD.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd put your old spuds back on it, or pick up a set of times. From what I understand, the times are excellent pedals, but were pricey in the past. If you can get them cheap, bingo.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Another vote for Time pedals here. I also have Crank Brothers Quattro SL pedals on my road bike and like them too, but if you're going to be using the same shoes for MTB & commuting, go with MTB pedals--they should all have the same thread size.

I also second the vote for Mavic shoes. They are incredibly comfortable and very adjustable...I have some for MTB and LOVE them!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano M520 pedals. They're really cheap, and super durable. Everything you need for a commuter. Shoes, go to your LBS and try stuff on. How they fit YOU is way more important than anything else. And if you find some you like, buy them from the shop you tried them on at. Don't be "that guy" who uses up half an hour of the salesperson's time so they can save $10 ordering them online.

skunkty14

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Shimano M520 pedals. They're really cheap, and super durable. Everything you need for a commuter.
Quoted for truth. I MTBed on a set of M520s for ~8yrs with zero maintenance and they still work to this day. I think they're the only Shimano part I haven't managed to break.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Crank bros. I have the Acid pedal on my XC bike and love it. Just picked up a set of Eggbeaters for the commuter myself, got them from universalcycles.com they were having a close-out on these. 30$ a set, can't really beat that not to mention they are a bit lighter than an similar SPD pedal. I think I will even run the Eggbeater on my road bike as soon as that gets built up, I really like the overall simplicity of the design.

Others to consider would be Time (haven't used them personally but I have heard more than one glowing review) and Look (a bit more pricey but worth it if you want an actual road pedal).

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I run Looks on my road bike, so that's what I run on my commuter as well. To be honest, in retrospect I should have matched my commuter to my MTB (crankbrothers... although I prefer my old SPDs), not my road bike.

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
i just picked up pair of Time RXC shoes yesterday. Found a huge improvement over using my Diadora MTB shoe for road. My toes did not fall asleep on the long ride as before. Worked fine with my Quattro's using the cleat adapter. The extra stiffness in the sole solved the sleepy toe probs I was having I think...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Are certain shoes designed for certain cleat and pedal types or are they universal? I know the SPD have the little two screw cleats, but I haven't really looked that close at anything else.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There are pretty much two different mounting standards. The SPD style 2 bolt setup is used on mountain pedals (SPD, Eggbeaters, Time ATAC, Speedplay Frog, etc) and a three bolt system for road pedals (Look Keo, SPD SL, Speedplay X/Zero/Light Action, etc). A few older pedals will use something else, but anything modern will be one of those two.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Oh, and another shoe suggestion, the Shimano DX:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/products/shoes/mtb/product.-code-SH-MP66W.-type-.html

I run these with the Crank Bros Acid on the DH bike, still has good grip when clipped out. Comfy off the bike too, and the clip is recessed enough to not click/slip.
This is good to know, I've been looking for a pair of shoes that I can still wear around the office without having the Clickity Click of tap shoes. :rofl: