Quantcast

Road Bike Fit - what's your take?

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
There is a myth about getting low and being aero. What most people don't understand is that they are not necessarily the same thing. For some people, pros included, less stb drop can be more aerodynamic. Your aerodynamics are primarily determined by the frontal area you present (and not by how close you are to the ground). Thus, having a flat back is more important than being low. If you can get a flatter back by being very low, and you find it comfortable enough to produce power well, then more power to you; however, peebs ought to know that a big ol' drop from saddle to bars doesn't necessarily produce the most aerodynamic position for everyone. Everyone has different body geometry, so everyone will have their own optimum setup. (and then consider that most recreational cyclists--myself included--aren't flexible enough to ride comfortably with a large stb drop, and the energy sapped by the discomfort incurred trying to ride in such a position will greatly outweigh the energy sapped by sitting up another inch or two).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I bet 95% of the riders here would rather look at cool topography, an elk, or a hot chick than ride aero.

Sit up and enjoy the world around you :)

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I bet 95% of the riders here would rather look at cool topography, an elk, or a hot chick than ride aero.

Sit up and enjoy the world around you :)
I live in Ohio we have nothing good to look at, occasionally a hot chic, but I ride country roads, not many hot chics there, or anything for that matter. I'm sure in Colorado there is more to see.