Quantcast

road bike help

jeremy155rr

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
looking to get back into cycling (never ridden road b4) used to mtb so i got that covered. i need some help finding a road bike. i have no idea about their strong/weak points or what to look for, all i can say is i'm pretty sure i hate trek. the only ones i've looked at so far are the big S models and it looks like they've stepped it up offering cf frames (complete w/dura-ace) for under 3k. my budget is around 2k and it is going to be used primarily for exercise but i want to compete in some triathlons next year also. any suggestions on what to look at? the triathlon aspect is going to be a big part of me picking one i want btw.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If your budget is 2k, then you should have a shop build you up a bike... ideally. Find a shop with a great reputation who'll measure you up and build the bike to your body. I suggest getting Shimano 105 or Campy Veloce group -- they're fairly similar. That'll leave you with a good chunk of change to spend on the frame and wheels.

Do you want a road bike or a tri bike? (I know zero about tri)

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
i have recently built an Orbea ZOna frame with full Campy Centaur (better than ultegra) and open pro rims, EA70/50 components

So i think that with 2000$ you can get an awesome piece of equipment

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
jeremy155rr said:
looking to get back into cycling (never ridden road b4) used to mtb so i got that covered. i need some help finding a road bike. i have no idea about their strong/weak points or what to look for, all i can say is i'm pretty sure i hate trek. the only ones i've looked at so far are the big S models and it looks like they've stepped it up offering cf frames (complete w/dura-ace) for under 3k. my budget is around 2k and it is going to be used primarily for exercise but i want to compete in some triathlons next year also. any suggestions on what to look at? the triathlon aspect is going to be a big part of me picking one i want btw.
Is your total budget $2K? Do you need shoes, pedals, shorts, helmet, etc in addition to the bike? You may want to check out the Cervelo One. It is road geometry so you can train on it daily, and it comes stock with aero bars. The grouppo is Shimano 105...and I believe it retails for around $1300.

jeremy155rr

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
2k just for the bike, and i don't mind going over that a bit for a good deal i don't think i'd go over 2.5 though

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Gios compact pro is a good frame
ORbea Zona is another
Cervelo Superprodigy

All of them in the ballpark of 600-1000$ for frame+fork which means that with 2k you could build them nicely.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
What is it about Trek you think yo hate? Curious if it is a fit thing or just a aesthetic thing...

So the triathlon aspect is going to be the most important factor in this decision...hmmm...my leanings are toward a Cervelo, like the Soloist Team ($2400) built with Ultegra, light and aero frame. It has a dual position seatpost to allow for a forward Tri position, and the head tube is not too tall, so you can get the bars down and use aero bars when needed.

If you want full carbon, it will be tough to find for under $2500, the only bike I can think of is the Specalized Roubaix Comp, ultegra build and goes for about $2400.

Good luck in your search.

jeremy155rr

Chimp
Oct 8, 2004
trek... well just for the heck of it at first but i didn't count them out when looking for a mtb and a road bike but when i started comparing prices to other companies and looking at component specs it just seemed like they were totally relying on their name for sales i mean the frames may well be worth the money but it didn't seem like it to me. when i can get a well equipped mtb from yeti or sc for the same i can get one of their new fuelex's laced with lx sumpin aint rite. thanx for the advice though

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Didn't really read everything... but Tri bike and Road geometry is different. Tri bikes usually dont' handle very well and are harder to ride on the road and with groups. For most entry level road cyclist I reccomend a traditional road bike. If you really get into tri you can get a seatpost with more setback and run a shorter stem/aero combo(think thats how it goes) Also allot of the shorter tris(non ironmans) and what not are using the 'nothing extends past the brake lever rule) so areobars aren't allowed. This is usually in sprint events.

Hopefully someone will chime in and fill in all my vagueness.

Do you have shoes? Have you ridden clipless have shorts? I would get those things first so when you get fitted or test bikes you have a more stable baseline.