Quantcast

Road Cassettes for downhill?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I've seen this on a few DH bikes... what are the advantages and disadvantages? Strength/durablity of each of them?

Thanks.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I like a nice close-ration road cassette for racing. I've noticed a pretty big increase in shifting speed and precision. For everything else though, I'll usually run a mtb cassette.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
You can run slightly smaller front rings and you can run short cage rear mechs. That's about all I can think of.

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
you start in a harder gear but end in the same as a mtb cassete, so the ratios of each cog is closer to the other cogs.thus when you shift there is less of a jump like in mtb cassetes where there is a significant ratio change. they seem to shift smoother and your able to stay in any one gear a little longer as opposed to a standard mtb cassete.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
super clean, crisp shift i run a road casette on my down hill bike and love i just b/c i dont use alot of the gears on a mtn. so a road works great for me

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Pros for road
Shorter deraileur
shorter chain
lighter cassette
more accurate gear choices
slightly cleaner shifting.

Cons
Can't climb at all
You have to change more than one gear where you would only change one on a MTB cassette,this is more often the case on DH tracks as they're not the smooth road,with slight gradient changes.You go down a chute to flat ground you may have todump two MTB gears,that'd be about five on a road cassette.

Soloution
Lahar with Rohloff or just a Rohloff,or any other good G-Box bike.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
no skid marks said:
Pros for road
Shorter deraileur
shorter chain
lighter cassette
more accurate gear choices
slightly cleaner shifting.

Cons
Can't climb at all
You have to change more than one gear where you would only change one on a MTB cassette,this is more often the case on DH tracks as they're not the smooth road,with slight gradient changes.You go down a chute to flat ground you may have todump two MTB gears,that'd be about five on a road cassette.
I made a 5sp setup out of a road cassette by taking out every other gear, then using my limit screws to set the distance. I can also add a 34 to it (kinda' like a "mega-range"). That more or less has all your pros and eliminates the only cons, multiple shifting and no climbing. Try it out.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
its all been pretty much covered.

its a HUGE weight difference

I switched from a sram 8 speed cassette to a nine speed road and it was huge

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
CKxx said:
I made a 5sp setup out of a road cassette by taking out every other gear, then using my limit screws to set the distance. I can also add a 34 to it (kinda' like a "mega-range"). That more or less has all your pros and eliminates the only cons, multiple shifting and no climbing. Try it out.

Got any picturees of it? Thanks!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
or ger a Single speed hub with a large casette body and get 5 cogs
on and get the HUGE plus's of a dishless wheel!

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
bcd said:
or ger a Single speed hub with a large casette body and get 5 cogs
on and get the HUGE plus's of a dishless wheel!

Pretty sick.

I already have a rear wheel so if I were to run a five speed I would just get single speed spacers to space it out right... you can do that right? :clue:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
no skid marks said:
Cons
Can't climb at all
That's funny, 'cause I climb all over with my 12-25 by 38t ring. It's a bit harder but it's very do-able to climb with a road cassette.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I am just changing over my bike at the moment.

I was running a 40 tooth 11-32 cassette, and i am changing to a 34 tooth 12-27 cassette.

I loose the easiest and hardest gear ratios, i never use the hardest gear on 99% of the tracks i ride, and i will just have to slog it out a little harder on any climbs.

Benifits are cleaner shifts, more ground clearance (good for bikes with low bb's, my turner is at 14.2 inchs) it saves around 350-400grams as you can use a smaller ring, smaller bashy, less chain and the cluster weighs less as well.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I just switched from a small chainring-road cassette set up with an XTR derailleur and XT shifter (all 9 speed) to a larger chainring and full-size mountain cassette. The cassette is a SRAM 990 I believe, whichever the one with the red anodized spider is. It is heavier than the road cassette, but the difference is small and I don't notice it. I can't compare shifting objectively because I am also running all SRAM X9 shifting gear and a different chain, but I prefer the MTB set-up. I can still go just as fast without spinning out, the shifting is about the same (except not having the Shimano trigger) and I can climb a lot more easily. The real questions to ask before switching are not just whether you need the ground clearance or want to shave the grams, but whether you are willing to give up the ability to sit and spin. If you are just racing or like to pretend you are only racing, go for it.

Oct 19, 2001
After riding road cassettes on my DH bikes for the last couple of years, when I switch back to a MTB one, I really notice how big the jumps are. True, I often need to change more than one gear, but with the MTB cassette, I very often would find my gearing too easy, shift once, then it would be too hard and vice versa. The smaller increments available in the road cassette allow you to attain your ideal cadence a lot more easily.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
interesting, I'm thinking about trying out a custom casset like that 5 speed. Did you just use single speed spacers?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
left coast punk said:
After riding road cassettes on my DH bikes for the last couple of years, when I switch back to a MTB one, I really notice how big the jumps are. True, I often need to change more than one gear, but with the MTB cassette, I very often would find my gearing too easy, shift once, then it would be too hard and vice versa. The smaller increments available in the road cassette allow you to attain your ideal cadence a lot more easily.

mines a 13-15-17-19-21 with a 40 up front. its all a dh bike
ever needs

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
bent^biker said:
interesting, I'm thinking about trying out a custom casset like that 5 speed. Did you just use single speed spacers?
buy a cheep sram casset that has the cogs you need and no alum
spider so you can grind the rivits off and pick out the cogs you want.
use the spacers that come with it to space over from the spokes.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
bcd said:
mines a 13-15-17-19-21 with a 40 up front. its all a dh bike
ever needs
holy heavy gear ratio batman.
a 34/21-11,36/23-11 and 38/25-12 is as heavy as i would go.
anyways, i dont see a lock ring on your 5speed ss set up...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
the last cog is threaded, its a 1980's shimano twist tooth i found.
it acts as a lock ring. that is the way old shimano casettes worked.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, thats what i though. i guess you are hoping your lock ring doesn't wear out anytime soon eh?

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
I run a 12-23 Sram cassette with a 38 tooth chainring. It shifts so much better especially under power. Next time I'll probably go 11-19 or something like that. Sometimes I spin it out at higher speed tracks. I still find the bike climbable.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Thanks for all the help guys... but still one question:

will single speed spacers work if I do something like a 5-speed or something unique?

Thanks!