Quantcast

Road product that was actually WORTH the $$?

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
Okay so for some reason road parts in particular seem to be SUPER expensive for relatively small gains in performance.

In my 2 years of riding road I have come across only 1 part that I wouldn't ride without despite the steep price - my Arione saddle. Relatively light, not overly padded and but more comfortable than ANY other saddle made! Leaves my ass feeling great even after 4 hour rides over pave!

What parts would you stand behind even at full cost having used them yourself?

GO!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
As much as some people might disagree with this....the Shimano drivetrain on my road/cx bike. It's 9sp Ultegra from a couple years ago- maybe '98 or 99. I have ridden it everywhere- snow, rain, mud, trails, rocks, roots, road, on the trainer... and I haven't had to replace any major parts yet. I don't ride it as much as my mtb, but I find it amazing that the parts have held up this well for this long. I rarely if ever clean them- just ride and repeat.

Shimano stuff on my mtbs has been decent, but nothing has lasted close to as long as this stuff.

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
As much as I want to say anything on my bike that says "Record" on it, its has to be my Polar CS200cad. I cant ride road without it now, makes for a much better workout. My Specalized Alias saddle is up there too.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
The Giro Atmos helmet. I switched from a cheapie to this one, and with all the vents in it, my head barely sweats anymore. That and the Nike carbon shoes.

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
I suppose we can open this up to apparel too:

I'd have to go with my Assos Windstopper vest. Expensive as hell, but unbelievably versatile and keeps me from getting cold without overheating. I haven't tried any other windbreaking vests, but I can defnately recommend the Assos.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I could pick a few different things, but they all have counterparts in the industry that probably work equally well. So, the one part that changed my riding experience is my pair of Speedplay X2 pedals. I tried every major brand of pedal and had multiple people look at my fit and nothing could correct my knee problems. Once I tried the Speedplay pedals, the problems went away.

Now, If I could only find something that would do that for my back,... besides a fountain of youth.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I suppose we can open this up to apparel too:

I'd have to go with my Assos Windstopper vest. Expensive as hell, but unbelievably versatile and keeps me from getting cold without overheating. I haven't tried any other windbreaking vests, but I can defnately recommend the Assos.
good idea.

While I love my vest/jacket combo, my most important apparel would be my Descente Aero-X bibs. Happy Ass.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
What parts would you stand behind even at full cost having used them yourself?
GO!
Ritchey Biomax bars - they are really made for cyclocross, but I use them on my road bike, and cyclocross machine. They just fit my hands well!

... Brad