Quantcast

Road rage, air rage, and now SKI RAGE!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Ski rage lands man in jail
Dan Viens | 1/31/2006 1:17 PM MST

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS - A 52-year-old man assaulted a teenage girl after a collision between the girl and the man's daughter, according to police.

Randal Berg of Littleton was arrested Sunday for the assault in which he reportedly punched the 16-year-old in the back and head.

The teenager told police she ran over Berg's 7-year-old daughter's skis with her snowboard and then the two fell to the ground. Berg saw his daughter on the ground and began attacking the snowboarder, according to Steamboat Springs Police Captain Joel Rae.

The snowboarder told police she was apologizing to the 7-year-old when Berg attacked her.

Police say Berg hit the girl repeatedly in the back of the head. The teen was wearing a helmet.

A group of witnesses intervened and separated Berg from the girl, police said. The witnesses also corroborated the girl's story, according to police.

After being separated from the snowboarder Berg launched into a tirade and threatened "to (expletive) kill" the snowboarder, police said.

The snowboarder was able to descend to the bottom of the mountain and walked away without serious injury.

Berg was taken to Routt County Jail and booked on charges of third-degree assault and disorderly conduct. He was released Monday on $1,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in Routt County Court on Feb. 14.

The accident occurred near the base of the ski mountain, where Steamboat Springs police have jurisdiction.

Rae said he has never heard of such an incident.

"There are fights and misunderstandings, but never have I seen anything with that kind of rage in my law enforcement career," the captain said.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Why do snow boarders make skiiers so mad?
They tend to sit down in the middle of the trail. Sometimes you come over a blind hump only to see a whole bunch of kids blocking the trail. Kind of like someone parking on the interstate. It isn't so much of a skiier vs snowboarder because it pisses other boarders off too. It is more of a thing between people who go to ride/ski vs the people who go to watch each other hit jumps and stunts. Boarders tend to be slower than skiers too.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
LordOpie said:
I don't blame the guy for losing it. He's wrong, but he's not wrong, ya know.
There are better ways though. I would have had an affair with her mom and eventually split up her family...

People just don't take the time to stop and think.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Transcend said:
You think so? I'll race you to the bottom on my race-prepped slalom board.
Ha, you would cringe in fear when you saw me with my 1989 Dynastar 990's. Nice and skinny for better wind resistance. :help:

You could probably walk down the hill faster than I ski.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Transcend said:
You think so? I'll race you to the bottom on my race-prepped slalom board.
Oh, ok, most people are using those these days. Fact remains borders are slower than skiers almost all of the time. They have to mess around with their bindings at the top and bottom, they can't do jack on a traverse, etc etc etc. I started snowboarding for this exact reason - I was just plain sick of waiting for my boarding friends run after run.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Snowboarding comes across more "aggressive" than skiing, Skiers are often startled just by the sound of snowboarders carving down a mountain, plus its just like the young kids on bike trails, not be courtious to other trail users, there becomes resentment, deserved or not.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Westy said:
Ha, you would cringe in fear when you saw me with my 1989 Dynastar 990's. Nice and skinny for better wind resistance. :help:

You could probably walk down the hill faster than I ski.
Heh, well I didn't mean you in particular actually, just people in general.

That said, guys on race skies go faster then guys on race boards (obviously). Less surface area and way more edge for control.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I'm still on Dynastar skinny skis! :thumb:

Unless it's a pow day, when I break out the Snow Rangers.

Which someone recently told me are considered skinny skis by today's fat ski standards. :mumble:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
Well, if you hit my kid...
The article said that she ran over the kids skis and they both fell down due to that. The teen wasn't beating on the seven year old (at least according to the article) and was apologizing when the asshat father went berserk.

So if you were that dad and hit the teen and the teens dad then came over and beat your ass down would it be OK? After all you hit his kid. Not only that you're going to beat up a teen girl? :angry:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
SkaredShtles said:
I'm still on Dynastar skinny skis! :thumb:

Unless it's a pow day, when I break out the Snow Rangers.

Which someone recently told me are considered skinny skis by today's fat ski standards. :mumble:
I borrowed a friends new fangle shaped skis and was blown away. I just took it as a challenge to ski better on my crappy old sticks, now I can hang with the boys witht the new gear. Of course I'm working a lot harder but there is nothing wrong with hard work.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
I borrowed a friends new fangle shaped skis and was blown away. I just took it as a challenge to ski better on my crappy old sticks, now I can hang with the boys witht the new gear. Of course I'm working a lot harder but there is nothing wrong with hard work.
Yeah. I skied a pair of fat skis when I was at Silverton a couple season's ago. I'd get to the bottom of a run, stare incredulously up the mostrous chute, and comment to my buddies: "I can *NOT* ski that well."

It was like being transformed into a rockstar skier simply by attaching big fat boards to my feet. :thumb:

:D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Ciaran said:
The article said that she ran over the kids skis and they both fell down due to that. The teen wasn't beating on the seven year old (at least according to the article) and was apologizing when the asshat father went berserk.

So if you were that dad and hit the teen and the teens dad then came over and beat your ass down would it be OK? After all you hit his kid. Not only that you're going to beat up a teen girl? :angry:
No I would beat the teenager's dad up because I don't want to look weak in front of my kid's eyes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
stinkyboy said:
There are better ways though. I would have had an affair with her mom and eventually split up her family...

People just don't take the time to stop and think.
Sadly common sense is not very common....

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
SkaredShtles said:

Boy S.S. this seems like the first season I've experienced where EVERY DAY that I'm up boarding half the ski population is running skis that have at least 5" tips on the front. And even on days where there hasn't been pow for like a week.. must be the new trend.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Westy said:
They tend to sit down in the middle of the trail. Sometimes you come over a blind hump only to see a whole bunch of kids blocking the trail. Kind of like someone parking on the interstate. It isn't so much of a skiier vs snowboarder because it pisses other boarders off too. It is more of a thing between people who go to ride/ski vs the people who go to watch each other hit jumps and stunts. Boarders tend to be slower than skiers too.
that, and that only about 1 in 25 snowboarders ever checks their blind side for oncoming "traffic".

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Seriously, a friend and I were riding on Critical Mass, when he was tagged by another rider, drunk and without working brakes, headed downhill at full speed.

A little different situation, considering he hit my friend due to his own negligence, but I was ready to smack the guy (if he wasn't bleeding on the pavement).

I would be in the teenager's face (and probably her parents as well), but hitting a kid? Unless they were hitting me or my own....

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I wonder if it was the same old man skier that got really pissed at my friend 2 weeks ago. The old man cut off my friend and my friend could not react in time and hit the back of his legs. The old man kept cursing at my friend like it was his fault he abruptly cut into my friend’s path. My friend repeatedly kept saying he was sorry and asking if he was ok. Maybe he just snapped this time.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
why is it justified because she hit the 7 year old. she didnt punch the seven year old! maybe they were on the beginner slope and the girl was out of control. she was appologizing as well. accidents happen ya know. its not like the teen was punching the 7 year old in the back of the head.

that dad is a P.O.S i hope he gets punched in the back of the head. friggin loser cant control his temper enough to not beat up a 16 year old girl.