Quantcast

road rage and guns

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i was on my way home from work and got up behind this guy. He didn't appreciate how close i was so he gave me a serious brake check. He nearly stopped traffic and i was well able to stop in time, but the guy behind me almost got me. i tried passing him to the right later, he cut me off. Then as i was passing him to the left, he pulled a pistol out and pointed it out at me from his half rolled down window.
So i slowed way down and got well behind him. i pulled my peice out, which happened to by my cel phone. Anyways for the next few miles i trailed him and gave all his info to the cops. Just happened that this stretch of road there is no exit for miles, after a few miles he came to a stop, and at that point i sped forward.
Anyways i was directed to stop down the road and wait for a cop to write a statement up, which i did. i had to wait for about 15 minutes, and when i was done, i asked the cop if they found the guy, and he told me they already had him arrested.
Possibly have to show up for court on the guy, and if i have to go, i will.

Bout the third time i've had a gun drawn on me, it's never a positive experience that's for sure. i'm really suprised it all worked out and they got the guy, there's so much traffic i figured he would have blended in, but my guess on where he was headed must have been accurate since they got him.

It reminds me of the post Lord Opie just posted about his experience. Just a sad reminder that there are people out there who seriously are messed in the head. It's all so stupid really, just not worth it. i didn't even flip this guy the bird and he pulls a peice out.....

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
That's the major scary thing about playing games with people on the road... you never know when the other SOB is even more whack than you.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Echo said:
That's the major scary thing about playing games with people on the road... you never know when the other SOB is even more whack than you.
Trying to pass someone is not playing games. Neither is pulling a piece out.

From the time i first approached the guy to the time he showed me his gun, was about 15 seconds. No reason to pull a gun out on the road anyways, but i did nothing to provoke such a response.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
That has (surprisingly) never happened to me here in Miami. Everyone is packing, but most people don't brandish unless they mean it. I guess they know they might get shot if they bluff the wrong guy. Oh yeah, and in Florida brandishing carries a mandatory three years in the state pokey.

FWIW, I have been carrying for more than ten years without incident.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
Crazy... I've only had a gun drawn at me once, it was the stupidest thing ever. I was riding down the burke-gilman by Matthews Beach, probably 12 years ago. These two ganstas were hangin' out off the trail, and as I rode in their direction, one of them pulls out a pistol and chambers a round. I just kept riding... I guess he had to demonstrate... something.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Skookum said:
Bout the third time i've had a gun drawn on me
i've had that once, but they were cops' guns. i played getaway driver while my friends egged a house. coincidentally, it was the deputy fire chief's house. he followed us in his truck, got on the radio with the cops, they pulled me over, guns drawn, cuffed me and kept on the curb with a gun on me for a full twenty minutes before they convinced themselves that i wasn't dangerous.

J

JRB

I kind of flipped a dude off once, and he followed us. I am down with a good ol' fashioned ass kickin', but this guy kind of stalked us so much that I was freaked out. Weird this is, he got all tweaked and was a dick for me changing lanes 150 feet in front of him. People are fu**ing idiots. Period. That is my best answer.

Denny

Chimp
Aug 27, 2002
Seattle, WA
That reminds me of another story. Jessica and I were driving on the freeway with the windows open, and she was wrapping a present. Some tissue paper flew out her side window. Oops, roll up windows, lesson learned. Well, this guy started following us. We got off the freeway and got to my dad's house, this guy trailing us the whole way, pretty far onto residential streets. When I got out of the car, he said "DON'T LITTER!". I guess I'm lucky I didn't get shot...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
....Jesus.

I've gotten pissed at people cutting me off, and I've almost lost my temper many times, but have always known where reality begins and ends... Like that douchebag was seriously considering ending another human being because you were a bit too close on the freeway.:eek:

So this happened in Washington State?... WTF???.... New Jersey - maybe, New York - sure, but Washington???

...usually one would find douchebags like that around my neck of the woods.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Skookum said:
Trying to pass someone is not playing games. Neither is pulling a piece out.
Sorry man, didn't mean to infer that you were instigating. My point was you never know who is a whacko...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
holy crap, 3rd time? that's nuts. glad to see he didn't have an itchy finger.

but according to N8, we are all safer since everyone can pack heat.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
S.K.C. said:
I've gotten pissed at people cutting me off, and I've almost lost my temper many times, but have always known where reality begins and ends... Like that douchebag was seriously considering ending another human being because you were a bit too close on the freeway.:eek:

So this happened in Washington State?... WTF???.... New Jersey - maybe, New York - sure, but Washington???

...usually one would find douchebags like that around my neck of the woods.
Nope Seattle is a real city with real douchebags. i enjoy my mountain riding excursions for many reasons and one is to get a break from the city.

Actually didn't sleep great last night, it appears as if my nerves are frayed, but by today i'll be alright. Life is full of choices and i just kept wondering why that guy would make that kind of choice.

i dunno maybe if people stopped to ask themselves basic questions like "What do i have to lose". The world might run a bit more smoothly....

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Been there...almost the same thing happened to us (Planet-X racing team) while coming back from a race (Big Bear) a few years ago.

Scenario was similar…we were in our team RV and this guy braked checked us like 3 time – each going from 80mph to almost dead stop. F’ing nuts!!!

Then he stuck his Gloc (sp?) out the window and pointed it at us. We called 911 and they caught him down the road. We also had to identify the guy.

Cops told us its and automatic felony to branish a weapon from a moving vehicle. Would have been a simple misdemeanor if it was from the side of the road (e.g. not in a vehicle). Anyway…turns out the guy was a security guard at the Sacramento Prison…

Peter (our team manager) went to court a few times and believe it or not, the guy got away with it…that’s so foked!! Each time I hear the guys showed up with a bunch of goones to intimidate Peter..

Anyway…I just happy to read this in the news this morning..
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/09/BAG9RFKD1C82.DTL

By Louise Chu
ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:19 a.m. November 9, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO – Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters. The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.

Only two other major U.S. cities – Washington and Chicago – have implemented such sweeping handgun bans.

With all precincts reporting early Wednesday, 58 percent of voters backed the proposed gun ban while 42 percent opposed it.

Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners would have to surrender their firearms by April.

A coalition led by the National Rifle Association has said it plans to challenge the initiative in court, arguing that cities do not have the authority to regulate firearms under California law.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60 percent in favor and 40 percent against.

The measure, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not ban the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

It encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, an activist for the proposition.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
And here I thought the problem around here was not enough gunplay on the road. This is after all the city where merging is the worst form of personal insult.

Good thing nothing bad happened though.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
holy crap, 3rd time? that's nuts. glad to see he didn't have an itchy finger.

but according to N8, we are all safer since everyone can pack heat.
The first two were way back in my younger much stupider days..... in fact now i've established a much better lifestyle, this experience brought more fear than before. Makes me come to understand that i appreciate my life alot more than i did back then, i suppose.

And you may be suprised to find out that i'm not anti-gun and this incident hasn't really swayed me from that opinion. When the court time arrives i'd be curious to know if it was a real gun, sure looked real, and if it was, was he even packing it legally.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
Nope Seattle is a real city with real douchebags. i enjoy my mountain riding excursions for many reasons and one is to get a break from the city.

Actually didn't sleep great last night, it appears as if my nerves are frayed, but by today i'll be alright. Life is full of choices and i just kept wondering why that guy would make that kind of choice.

i dunno maybe if people stopped to ask themselves basic questions like "What do i have to lose". The world might run a bit more smoothly....

Sorry to hear that Skooks... you did the right thing and hopefully he'll be convicted of a crime.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
SAN FRANCISCO – Voters approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters. The gun ban prohibits the manufacture and sale of all firearms and ammunition in the city, and makes it illegal for residents to keep handguns in their homes or businesses.
Time to go on a crime spree in San Fran, now that the populace is defenseless.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Acadian said:
Been there...
Anyway…turns out the guy was a security guard at the Sacramento Prison…

Peter (our team manager) went to court a few times and believe it or not, the guy got away with it…that’s so foked!! Each time I hear the guys showed up with a bunch of goones to intimidate Peter..
Crazy, sounds like the guy had a good lawyer and probably knew the right people. Pretty lame he got away, this guy is doing at least a few nights in the tank so if he just does that or get years i'll be fine with either.

The great equalizer to a gun, cel phone.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
sirknight6 said:
You DO realize that if people didn't drive like a$$holes, this wouldn't even be an issue.
No what i really fail to understand is why people don't have the capability to handle their emotions to the point of where you would draw a gun out on somebody you don't even know.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Skookum said:
No what i really fail to understand is why people don't have the capability to handle their emotions to the point of where you would draw a gun out on somebody you don't even know.
It's called living in the USA. We have become reactive instead of proactive. Look around. Everyone is ready to snap for the most part. We have to be able to switch modes of thought in a matter of milliseconds. The brain is not designed to be this way.

People are primarily living in their fight or flight response. This is not the way the human brain is supposed to evolve. The reason we have a large frontal lobe is so that we use it. It consists of intellegence, logic, cooperation, insight, love, etc.

Instead, because of the way society operates, people are functioning in reactive mode with a brain that was designed for reptiles. Ask yourself, are we really evolving?

Drop a piece of meat in a cage with 2 reptiles in it. Observe. They will kill each other to eat that piece of meat. Now what's different from that than two FOOLS worried about getting home 2 minutes before each other.

WAKE THE ***K UP AMERICA