Quantcast

Road Rage results comin' in.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Riffle crashed at 55 mph with road rash everywhere....someone got it on tape because it was at the fastest part of the course right at the speed trap....lopes 3rd....roadies in 4th and 5th....glad mtb riders owned it

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Ian Collins said:
Riffle crashed at 55 mph with road rash everywhere....someone got it on tape because it was at the fastest part of the course right at the speed trap....lopes 3rd....
Woah, crazy. Do you know if he was on a road bike or a mtb?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Ian Collins said:
Riffle crashed at 55 mph with road rash everywhere....someone got it on tape because it was at the fastest part of the course right at the speed trap....lopes 3rd....roadies in 4th and 5th....glad mtb riders owned it
Holy Sh!!!!!t, is he alright?? Kid goes too fast for his own good I guess..too bad, he's one of the best cornerers I've seen. Good luck to him.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i just got home from the race....that was some crazy sh*t....myles was going soooo fast....i never really got to follow lopes down but i heard he ripped the cormers as well.....but myles size and talent were perfect for this event....i think cully would have done well as well.

straight up....i got lucky to get 2nd in the 4 up...i was only 12th in the tt, i really didn't learn the course til the final......in my semi i watched the guy do his c bone.....he just went way to fast into a tight corner and rode straight into the side of the mt. for real straight...endoed right into the face and was about 12 ft up rollin across the cliff/hillside. he took the #2 timetrial guy dave mccook down with him..mccook was crazy fast too. super smooth cornering.

in the final myles was about 50 ft out front and todd tanner and another guy went into a corner to fast and went down...i just rode around the carnage to get 2nd.

there was 49 corners on the course...and you had to pedal hard...a lot!....i was sooo tired by the end.

i tried a fairing but to many corners made that no good.....that is a 29er wheel set and reba forks on my 4x hardtail.....

i still am trippin on myles with a stock road bike with rim brakes...killin it.

fun deal for sure...hopefully spectators next time.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
OGRipper said:
Plus it looks like he found some bigger tires. Any chance that's a 29'er wheelset?
Those look like 38 or 40mm tires.

29" wheels=700c rims

Too bad about Riffle. Sounds like the event was fun though. I'm guessing the stable handling mtnbikes and bigger tires paid off compared to the roadies who probably ran a traditional bike.

Cool.

The Ito

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone remember in the late 80s/early 90s when there was "Formula 1" racing at the BMX nationals, and "GPV" racing?

Formula 1 was using 20" BMX bikes with flat XC-type bars and gears (some with fairings) and woud race around cones in a parking lot.

Then GPV (Gravity Powered Vehicle) was DH racing on pavement and BMX frames were flipped upside down to get low to the ground. No cranks, just some pegs to rest your feet on. Throw on some 20" slicks, duct tape some weights close to the ground, throw on fairing, the last one down is a rotten egg.

EC, did you ever get involved in either?

Every year when X-Games rolls around I wonder if GPV could make a comeback . . . . .

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeah, check the pics-christ I need more photo training...too bad they dont sell talent at the camera shop, cause I would be willing to buy a lot of it!
Anyway, as lame as I expected the event to be, it was pretty cool. Nice vibe...good times. Thanks to redbull and Jon Mesko at Giant for hookin an old has been up.

The MTBers pretty much ruled it, Nice to see Myles smilin and being appreciated. EC's bike was priceless.

Out

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
ito said:

29" wheels=700c rims

Too bad about Riffle. Sounds like the event was fun though. I'm guessing the stable handling mtnbikes and bigger tires paid off compared to the roadies who probably ran a traditional bike.

Cool.

The Ito
the rules were lax for sure...everyone started out with ghetto drop bars...something/anything clipped on.....but after they figured out that it mde no difference up right or drop...i think it wasn't a big deal...

imo..there were 2 guys who could go super fast in control on the real road set up...myles and mccook....allt he riders i saw crash were on road bike's...with super skinny tires slideing out going to fast and then grabbing a hand full of brakes.....there were a lot of road guys who surprised me how good they were...but myles and mccook were awsome.....duncan clipped bars with todd tanner and got pitched off in a straight away.

for me the mtb set up was way better....i told myself i was going to stay my pace...whatever that was?....nice cruiser runs on my bike...i juts got lucky guys crashed i guess?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
ito said:

29" wheels=700c rims

Cool.

The Ito
the rules were lax for sure...everyone started out with ghetto drop bars...something/anything clipped on.....but after they figured out that it mde no difference up right or drop...i think it wasn't a big deal...

imo..there were 2 guys who could go super fast in control on the real road set up...myles and mccook....allt he riders i saw crash were on road bike's...with super skinny tires slideing out going to fast and then grabbing a hand full of brakes.....there were a lot of road guys who surprised me how good they were...but myles and mccook were awsome.....duncan clipped bars with todd tanner and got pitched off in a straight away.

for me the mtb set up was way better, i wanted to feel comfortable....i told myself i was going to stay my pace...whatever that was?....nice cruiser runs on my bike...i just got lucky guys crashed i guess?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Congrats on the 2nd BC VAN :thumb:

Sounds like it definitely would have been an interesting sight to see.
For sure, congratulations to EC--that's huge! You showed the road guys how it's done. It's also nice to see that Rockwell is able to spend some time on his bike. It would have been so much fun to watch. Since it was only 20 minutes from my house, I was kind of bummed out that I couldn't watch--so I went to Bootleg!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
stiksandstones said:
Yeah, check the pics-christ I need more photo training...too bad they dont sell talent at the camera shop, cause I would be willing to buy a lot of it!
Anyway, as lame as I expected the event to be, it was pretty cool. Nice vibe...good times. Thanks to redbull and Jon Mesko at Giant for hookin an old has been up.

The MTBers pretty much ruled it, Nice to see Myles smilin and being appreciated. EC's bike was priceless.

Out
Nice photos - gotta love photo #8 - Lopes w/ the foot down and what was on his forks - some extra aerodynamic fairing thing?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Lopes had just some plastic-fairing type thingies attached to his forks, some stuff FOX SHOCKS whipped up for him.
EC uses the screen name BC VAN because he spent many a summer getting greazy in a van called the "BC VAN".
I will be here all night, thanks for coming. ;-)