Quantcast

road rear der. question

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
I'm looking at getting a 105 rear der, do I want the SS (short cage) or GS (medium cage) model? I'm assuming that the GS road model would be shorter than a GS mountain derailleur. Is the SS too short to allow for chain stretch and shifting?

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
sence you wont be changing your front gears (lack of), you only need to be conserned about the difference in size in the cogs. with a short, i think its like 11-22 or something, and long can go up to like 28-30. something like that. you will want the SS one becuse what is the point of running a road deraileur if your going to get a long (mountain bike) sized deraileur. a 105 ss should work fine.

ThePirk

Chimp
May 25, 2004
Seattle Wa
Originally posted by Fulton
I'm looking at getting a 105 rear der, do I want the SS (short cage) or GS (medium cage) model? I'm assuming that the GS road model would be shorter than a GS mountain derailleur. Is the SS too short to allow for chain stretch and shifting?
I run a shimano xt short cage, works fine:thumb:

supros88

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
Australia
Have you ever thought about using a Sram xo?

I found it to be alot stiffer & it's shifting was much chrisper than my Drua-ace, the only thing is that you will have to get a new shifter.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
yes, I've owned 2 X.0's, and loved them, but even the mid cage X.0 is rather long. I don't know why, but lately I've been catching my der on rocks and stuff, just trying to increase the clearance a bit. Plus, I can get 3 105's at the price on one X.0.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
to echo everyone else, you'll be fine with the shortcage, but consider an XO or X9 in medium cage, as BOYYYe do those things work better than even the durace/8speed XTR setup I had last year...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Originally posted by supros88
Have you ever thought about using a Sram xo?

I found it to be alot stiffer & it's shifting was much chrisper than my Drua-ace, the only thing is that you will have to get a new shifter.
Scram XO= 105 bucks
Cheapo road deralur=28

hmmm????

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Can you run a road der. w/ a mtn cassette, say 11-32? Or, if you're making the switch to road, do you have to switch both?

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
If you run a road deraileur, you must run a road cassette because the parallelagram is smaller then a mtn. der. The longer cage will allow for multiple chainrings up front. If you are running a single chainring, i would run a short cage. The chain tension on a short cage is much tighter. My setup is on an imperial with 32t front with evil guide and road cassette. Chain tension is really good and shifting is spot on due to dura ace.

Jan 26, 2004
You do not have to use a road cassette, I used a 105 ss with a lx cassette that was like 11-30 or something close and a 42t chainring with no probs last year

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
To simplify, single ring in front. When choosing a short cage rear deraileur, road or mtn., check the specs that list max size cassette. That's it.

Longer cages are to take up chain slack from triple ring fronts.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I was running 11-27 cassettes with 105 derailluers...and they worked great. I have sinced beeen switching over to SRAM (no slap)...so if you want 2 black 105 rear derailluers ridden only once shoot me a pm....D

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
I've been running an ultegra short cage road derailleur for 2 years with an xt 11-34 cassette and a 36t ring on the front. no problems at all. shifts smooth and never have a problem, even when using the 34t ring in the rear.