Quantcast

road shoes?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
its not looking like I'll have the cash to get a nice roadie this year, but would it be worth the money to buy road shoes/pedals? (as far as a noticeable performance gain for quick group rides or centuries)

now, I just use my mtn shoes and use my old eggbeaters off my mtn bike

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Primary performance gain is through comfort. If your feet are happy, you'll ride faster over a 100 miles.

So, if your feet like the mtb shoe, stay with it.

I tried many different shoes and pedals over the years and found Sidi-Ultegra to be the best combo for my feet. Ironically, the #2 set up for me was my mtb shoes. In otherwords, there are plenty of crap road shoes out there, so ya know, don't change just to change.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I do the same as you and just use my mtb shoes. Within a given line road soles are a bit stiffer, but I use my road bike for commuting too, which involves a fair amount of walking around at train stations and stuff so the mtb shoes are better. Unless you plan to get road-style pedals, I'd say don't bother with new shoes. An alternative is to get a really pimp set of mtb shoes for the same type of pedals, so you have a racer-boy pair for road rides and bigger mtb events/rides.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I rode mtn pedals/shoes on my roadie at first. I only swapped out to roadie shoes/pedals for convenience. I got my pedals used on RM for $25 and shoes on uber clearance at my LBS for $35. If you can find a nice deal like that then go for it, other wise stick with what you've got.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I switched from Sidi Dominators to Genius, mostly to cut the wear/tear down on the mtn shoes. I didn't really notice a difference, although if you are a gram counter, road shoes are significantly lighter.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Ditto on the comfort angle. I used MTB shoes exclusively for many years, but as my road mileage crept up to the century mark I did have problems with hotspots (hot/burning sensation in my forefoot). I switched to a road shoe/road pedal and it went away. That said, not being able to walk in a road shoe can be a real PITA.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I like bolting in my toe cleats on my MTB shoes so I can drag them on the ground and make sparks on road rides.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I bought road shoes when I went "serious" on my road rides and I still use them for the longer group rides. But when I'm commuting to work, which requires climbing a few flights of stairs, I wear my mtn shoes.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sq-Earl and I were running a similar set-up as you and he switched over to road pedals & shoes mid-summer and loves it. They are really light weight and comfortable for his commute. He did note that they're scary when walking though ;) He ended up getting a pair of Diadora road shoes and a set of Look pedals. I got shoes and am going to be getting pedals very soon as well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
keep in mind that road shoes can still work with eggbeaters.

(They use the standard SPD bolt pattern, yeah?)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Not a huge performance gain, but that depends on your current shoe and its stiffness.

As others said, the biggest difference is in comfort- wider area means better weight distribution. I don't think it makes a huge difference.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I fully recommend that you try on any shoes before you buy. Go to your LBS and walk around the store on the balls of your feet for a good 15 minutes. Most shoes you can eliminate as an option within 30 seconds.

Also, you may find that no shoe is perfect for you... try an insert like http://www2.yoursole.com/

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Comfort and for me a feel of security on the bike.

Road pedals are a gimme for comfort - more contact area.

But I reckon that on the road when you have a smoother environment and notce small things more, that SPDs feel small and insecure.

I know they physically aren't but it just one of those "je ne sais par" moments.

BTW, my impressions are base on the difference between 959's and DA SPD-SLs. Both shoes are carbon soled Shimano's.