Quantcast

Road tires for my MTB

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I need to buy some road tires for my mountain bike. Anyone have any suggestions (brands, sizes, etc)? I'm going to be doing some road riding, and buying tires is cheaper than buying a road bike. :D

Heidi PM'd me some info once before, but I think I deleted it. :(

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Depends on what type of riding you will do. Semi-slicks are more versitile if you like to hit fireroads or short cut through grass, dirt, etc. You get traction in the turns. On the other hand, those little knobs on the side make corning on the road less smooth. A good compromise is the Avocet Cross tires. Smooth for the road, but they have an inverted tread for the times you need it.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The Continental Double Fighter (semi-slicks) have my vote. I absolutely love mines. They look really cool too :D

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
For road use only- Hutchinson 1,0 slicks!... i've owned a pair of them before i got a roadbike, and they inflate to 9 bars- and are 90% as good as a pair of real road tyres!

And...:D it's so damn funny to race against roadies on a mtb!;) ... they really get bugged by you hanging on...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Steen Good Legs
For road use only- Hutchinson 1,0 slicks!... i've owned a pair of them before i got a roadbike, and they inflate to 9 bars- and are 90% as good as a pair of real road tyres!

And...:D it's so damn funny to race against roadies on a mtb!;) ... they really get bugged by you hanging on...
I've used those, they work well. Helps if you have an extra set of wheels.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
I ran some of the Topo semi-slicks last year for commuting to work... they worked really well and the thing I liked about them was they worked great on road and if you decided to do a little off road on the way home... you had some traction for cornering...

just my $.02 :D

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
More of a road tire that can be beaten (our local police departments use these)...

Specialized Nimbus 26x1.75. Casing is of decent thickness, full slick, look cool. Kinda heavy (for slicks), but worth the weight IMO. On my list of things to buy and try...

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Jan 14, 2002
Zwolle, the Netherlands
what about these tires, these are the new HookWorm tires from Maxxis. I've found these at PinkBike.com, no info about when they will hit the shops, but they will fit the wider rims better instead of those tires in the range of 1.75 ore less, just an option.

Attachments

I have an old mtb set up as a city bike with Tioga City Slickers on it. The are great. they last forever, and they come in 1.25", 1.5", and 1.75". They are cheap, too. About 12-15$ retail. As for forever, I mean riding 12 miles to work 2 or 3 days a week, plus going to the store, plus riding around for the hell of it. I probably have 2000 miles on them and the tread is still great.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo IAB,
the hutchinson slicks are probably the best mtb road slicks on the market. one thing you diff. have to think about when putting slicks on your mtb bike s the gearing. probably the best bet is to put a road cassette like an 11-27 on it. they actually work pretty well, so well i'm thinkin about running a 38/46 up front w/ a 11-27. and change it out to a 29 or a 32 /44 for nats. but we'll see i don't think i want to kill my knees. actually alot of euro pro xc boy's have the companies they race for build them custom mtb frames set up similar to their road bikes and they throw 650cc wheels and road gearing on them w/ mtb parts. develops **** loads of power....what lil mighty mig had set up, to bad he switched over to road.

Sep 7, 2001
Copenhagen- Denmark!
Originally posted by Mr. ShockWave
what about these tires, these are the new HookWorm tires from Maxxis. I've found these at PinkBike.com, no info about when they will hit the shops, but they will fit the wider rims better instead of those tires in the range of 1.75 ore less, just an option.
They look way cool :cool: ... the tread looks like something ripped of a 500 GP machine.... Wrooomm.... ;)

Anybody know when they will be out in the shops?... gottta get some for strictly urban! ;)

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
those hookworms look killer! any word on what kinda pressure they take... i know the 20" bmx ones run at 110psi. i can't wait til those things come out... been wanting something like that for a while......!

srf

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Bothell, WA
Is the Hutchison Top Slick (26x1) from 2001 a decent tire? It's a pretty good price at Nashbar, but I have to wonder why a 2 year old model is still sitting around:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=1158&sku=6875&storetype=&estoreid=

Is the Continental Grand Prix worth the mucho dinero they charge? At $46 it's 3 times the price of most MTB slicks but I guess that's what a lot of roadies pay for tires:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=12429

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by srf
Is the Hutchison Top Slick (26x1) from 2001 a decent tire? It's a pretty good price at Nashbar, but I have to wonder why a 2 year old model is still sitting around:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=1158&sku=6875&storetype=&estoreid=

Is the Continental Grand Prix worth the mucho dinero they charge? At $46 it's 3 times the price of most MTB slicks but I guess that's what a lot of roadies pay for tires:

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=12429
I can't speak for the Hutchinson but I used Conti GPs on my road bike for a bit and they were the WORST. They rolled well but jeez, they had like onion skin for sidewalls. I've also had some Conti MTB tires that were crap in the sidewalls, and I've heard a lot of complaints from other riders about Conti sidewalls. Stay away....

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Do you run disc brakes or v brakes? If you run discs you can actually build up a set of road rims with a mountain cassette, put road gearing on it and a set of road tires and you can just swap out the whole deal rather than mess with the tires every time.

Just something to think about.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
y'all answering any of the posts prior to this one below may wanna check the date of IRB's post............

Originally posted by srf

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
sorry, the original IAB post was like a year and a half ago, I'm sure that he's got the whole slick tire thing/multiple wheelsets issue hacked out by now, hopefully.........

don't mind me.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by sub6
sorry, the original IAB post was like a year and a half ago, I'm sure that he's got the whole slick tire thing/multiple wheelsets issue hacked out by now, hopefully.........

don't mind me.
Well maybe not... I remember a very similar thread from when IRBs wife got a road bike and he wanted to join her on the road. Not as classic as the killer grilled cheese thread...

srf

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Bothell, WA
sub6- Thanks, I guess I might get the Hutchisons since people seem to have less complaints about them. Most other options are 2-3 times the weight (useful for mine detection in Iraq I guess).

Motionboy2- I'm not sure if the message was directed at me or not, but I have V-brakes so can't do 700c of course. I do have a second set of wheels though (there isn't much that's worse than dismounting roadie tires). Now that I think about it maybe I should ditch the 9 speed XT cassette for Ultegra or some such.

Greg94

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
So Cal
Those Hook Worms are 26 by 2.5's baby
They were on a whole bunch of bikes at interbike.
I bugged the hell out of the guys in the maxxis booth trying to
get a set and he was pretending like no one had
them. Our Maxxis rep should be stopping buy soon
and I'm going to hit him up on those. I was told that
they should have been available by now. but I don't know.
I would really like those so I can build up an urban machine.

oh ya 2.5's!!!

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Greg94
Those Hook Worms are 26 by 2.5's baby
They were on a whole bunch of bikes at interbike.
I bugged the hell out of the guys in the maxxis booth trying to
get a set and he was pretending like no one had
them. Our Maxxis rep should be stopping buy soon
and I'm going to hit him up on those. I was told that
they should have been available by now. but I don't know.
I would really like those so I can build up an urban machine.

oh ya 2.5's!!!
those have been out and about for a good long while, there are a few guys on RM who have 'em, and Go-ride.com is selling them.....

Greg94

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
So Cal
Yea im looking for 26in hookworms go ride has 24 inch
hookworms. 24's have been out since last year.
but they are going to make them in 26in.
which sould be avaiable now if not real soon.
I'll update when i get them.