Quantcast

Road Trip from Florida

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
me and some friends are taking a trip up north to ride PK and Diablo next week. Was wondering if there was anything else worth riding around either of those places. We want to ride mostly lift stuff, but we're (at least I am) itching to get at least one day of local, non-lift riding in. We have no problem pedaling to the top as long as there's a payoff waiting.

We're also going to be out on Long Island for a few days. Are there any good DJ spots around any more? I know there used to be some trails in Patchogue. Still there? How about at the Stillwell loop? Or in Bethpage S.P.?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
How far north are you willing to drive? We have some great techy XC/Freeride trails in the Saratoga Springs, NY area (not lift service and not too much climbing at our local SMBA Trails, but lots of climbing at Spier Falls).

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
TreeSaw said:
How far north are you willing to drive? We have some great techy XC/Freeride trails in the Saratoga Springs, NY area (not lift service and not too much climbing at our local SMBA Trails, but lots of climbing at Spier Falls).
I think I saw a bunch of pics of your trails. They look awesome, but I don't think we're going to be driving up that far. I was hoping for something a little closer to the Plattekill or Diablo area.

House Man

Chimp
Jun 16, 2006
Orange county NY
You should ride Stewart, Not much elevation but great XC riding with a few tech stuff. Near newburg just to the west of Stewart airport, park on the north side on Barron Rd. Also for more climbing and elevation Ringwood is good, near Ringwood NJ, about 30 minutes from Diablo. Also Blue mountain just over the Hudson to the east from Bear Mountain State park, haven't been there yet but I heard it nice. I also heard Hunter Mountain has stepped it up for some more lift riding, north side of the catskills. Were in FL are you from? Me and the wife lived in FL for years and just moved here last year. I'm still learning the trails up here. But I live 20 minutes from Diablo so I ride there as much as I can. Good luck!!

boombatz

Chimp
Sep 29, 2005
south florida
I'm in the Delray/Boca area. Some of the other guys on the trip are from Miami. Where'd you live?

Those places sound pretty good. How long a drive is Hunter from PK? and are there any jump trails near Diablo, that you know of. I would love to ride something like the White Castle Trails. I've heard they were torn down a while ago though. Maybe we'll check out the Stewart trails.

You going to be riding Diablo anytime on the 21st - 24th?

House Man

Chimp
Jun 16, 2006
Orange county NY
We lived in the Tampa area. So we rode Santos(we used to just call it Bellview), and Alifia etc. Not anything on the east coast due to drive time. From some of the pics Ive seen Santos has changed alot. We started riding there about ten years ago when it first opened. There were no big drops back then..... I never rode lift/freeride /DH stuff until recently, most of the trips we took were in N. GA and in NC and up into WV back before lift access was available. Mostly long XC loops w/ LLLOOONNNGGG climbs and killer single track downhills for miles...
Hunter mountain is about an hour and a half north of Diablo, and from what I've heard it is more flow stuff w/ more speed. I know they have added a few wall rides and ladders and drops etc. As far as jump trails Diablo has Dominion Jump Line, but other than that I am not sure, maybe another local can chime in and advise you about that. It sounds like you guys are pretty advanced freeriders, I don't take huge drops or anything yet but it would be cool to ride w/ some Florida boys. Let me know...
Eric

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
At least it wasn't Robdagaymanracerboi. :rofl:
Ha, true!

Beth was kicking my butt riding last night. I've been off my bike for roughly 2 months.
However my WIFE is picking me up 2 new pairs of gloves as we speak so we're getting back into the swing of things.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
stosh said:
Ha, true!

Beth was kicking my butt riding last night. I've been off my bike for roughly 2 months.
However my WIFE is picking me up 2 new pairs of gloves as we speak so we're getting back into the swing of things.
Nice! And congrats again!! :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Nice! And congrats again!! :)
Yeah, my wife is all excited to go riding again on Thursday too so thats cool.

Thanks for the congrats!
It was weird seeing her sign the credit card slip with my last name.