Quantcast

Roadie SPD's on MTB

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
My MTB pedals are getting worn out I think, the adjusters are turned in full tigh and I still want more. I have a set of new roadie pedals and wonder if they will work ok for off road. Keep in mind I have no mud here just dust. Any suggestion? Oh and I know they will get destroyed quicker by rocks and stuff but I don't care cuz I won't use them for anything else anyway.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by gtbike
My MTB pedals are getting worn out I think, the adjusters are turned in full tigh and I still want more. I have a set of new roadie pedals and wonder if they will work ok for off road. Keep in mind I have no mud here just dust. Any suggestion? Oh and I know they will get destroyed quicker by rocks and stuff but I don't care cuz I won't use them for anything else anyway.
You may want to try getting a set of new cleats for your Mtn pedals, the cleats are usually made of a softer metal so they will wear instead of the pedal engagment platform. Road pedals will work, I can't imagine trying to walk around in Look compatible cleats offroad (if thats what you have).

Replacement spd cleats usually run $10-15

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
road pedals will work fine, if there aren't many places where you have to get off and run or walk, you might want to think about using road shoes. i am thinking about getting a pair of road shoes for this year. not to many races where i get off and run so i'd rather have muchhhhhhhhh stiffer shoes.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
back in my xc days, i ran look shoes and pedals off road... let me tell you, r-e-t-e-n-t-i-o-n. whew! i never pulled out by accident, and almost as rarely on purpose. on the plus side, the shoes were nice a stiff... from what i've heard, a large number of pros run road shoes with lugs glued to the bottom...