Quantcast

Roadies (fitting question)

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
I've been fitted on a 54 specialized road frame(compact geometry) and they said it was a good fit and put me on the trainer to fit me to the bike but when I'm up on my bars I still see my front hub and it sits out an inch and a half in front of my bars. They told me if it's fit well that I shouldn't be able to see it because the bars should block out the vision of the the hub...

Is the bike too small for me?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
That's a rule of thumb which gets a person in the ball park. Individual preferences and body build dictates what fits. If you had long arms and short body, the hub might appear behind the bars for example. The question is, are YOU comfortable on the bike. One fellow I know who raced pro a while ago would say, you should set up the bike as long and low as you can stand. Sounds silly but its pretty good advice. Basically if the set up hurts somewhere, you need to change it. But I certainly wouldn't get hung up at all that the hub is supposed to be obscured by the bars.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
oldfart said:
That's a rule of thumb which gets a person in the ball park. Individual preferences and body build dictates what fits. If you had long arms and short body, the hub might appear behind the bars for example. The question is, are YOU comfortable on the bike. One fellow I know who raced pro a while ago would say, you should set up the bike as long and low as you can stand. Sounds silly but its pretty good advice. Basically if the set up hurts somewhere, you need to change it. But I certainly wouldn't get hung up at all that the hub is supposed to be obscured by the bars.
Thanks for the advice, I'll pass this onto a friend who actually posted this, he's a pilot and doesn't really have a homestay, more or like 6-10 different couch's he crashes on so he asked if he could post up to get some responses. I'll forward this onto him, I'm sure he'll be stoked!

Thanks,
~Josh

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
WARider said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll pass this onto a friend who actually posted this
Uh-huh...we believe you. I'm sure it's not for you 'cuz your buddies would flog you if they knew you were joining forces w/ the Dark Side. ;)

oldfart's advice is good advice. Not everbody that has a certain length seatpost tube will have the same top tube length. People are like snowflakes...or is it just flakes?

One other thing that you...YOUR BUDDY...can do is to get a barstem that's maybe 10mm longer and that could take care of the problem.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
I was having the same questions my friend.

I am 6ft1" and i got a 54cm frame (55cm TT) with 11cm stem. Now i had a 32" inseam and wrenchscience and comp cyclist formulas suggested the above numbers... In practice hearing my height one would say get a 58 which would mean that i would have no seatpost exposed at all! Screw the hub theory, go by the websites and most of all go with what you feel.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that shop told you some wrong information. that is one of the worst indications of reach to go by.....

cycleman

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
math2014, your dimensions make me chuckle. no offence but you're 6ft1 and only a 32 inseam? You must have a very long body or neck! Funny isn't it, how different we all are.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
There is a lot that goes into fit. My suggestion is to go to some club riders in your area and ask them who fits their bikes. If you ask a bunch someones name is going to get repeated over and over. Go to that guy. He/she may charge you but it will be cheaper than buying 2 bikes.
Get it fit properly the first time and you will be a happy camper.