Quantcast

Roadtrip thread, check it out! we will probably be driving by your house

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
UPDATE WITH VIDEO

Me and 4 of my friends ( other 4 dont post much on mtbr/ridemonkey ) bought a shuttle bus and we converted it into a camper. (many pics below).

We're going from CT to BC then down the west coast and back across to the east coast.

We need a good name for the bus to paint on the front, so please help!

Constructing a cargo box to go under the side of the bus

Storage for 5 DH bikes

It can roll outside the bus too for easy loading haha YAYY!!!

me welding welding away

Bed framing

Two extra beds on top?.

That can be pulled out

Shelves

And a sink

here's the supplies

installed a third battery for accessories/lights

The urinal

Installing ceiling lights

intalling the TV

Modified the seat frames so they can turn sideways at night

Trying to use a burned hole saw lol

Seats turned sideways

Installed the TV and N64

Cover for the extra battery and power inverter and switches for the lights

Custom installed compass. we can only navigate using this and a sextant

Extra battery and power inverter installed

cover for the spare battery. we have an isolator switch and a switch for interior and exterior lights

steel

weld

pull-up bar

pull-up bar testing. works great

tearing out the old floor

the old floor remains

new floor. nice and homey

we ship off june 2nd :)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
How/Where do you sleep in there?

Still that idea makes you the king of awesome. Post regular updates when on a trip.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
looks like a pretty epic roadtrip- well prepared, for the many miles and proper sleeping space.

That bus could be the best roadtrip thing ive ever seen, bar protourbusses.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Congrats, guys. My girl and I recently sold just about everything we had, bought a truck and toy hauler, and are now adventuring from good riding spot to good riding spot for who knows how long. Maybe we'll bump into each other along the way.

Plan to make more stops between Calgary and Whistler. There is soo much good riding in BC.

I applaud all the custom mods you made. Consider a cheap solar charger to keep your batteries topped off.

Screen shot 2012-05-20 at 11.35.20 PM.png

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I need to do this. At some point you get too old and too entrenched in your job/family/mistress/dogs/crack habit to just wander the earth for a summer.

What is it Warren Miller closes his movies with? Oh yea...
&#8220;If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.&#8221;

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Looks like a killer roadtrip!

Word of advice when going into Canada. A couple years a fried of a friend was doing the same sort of trip in a similar vehicle. He got turned away at the border because the Canadian authorities thought he was going to try and stay in Canada. I would try and look as nice as possible (collared shirt freshly shaven) when crossing the border. Make sure you have plenty of time on everyone's passport as well. You don't want to raise any doubts in their mind that you'll be overstaying the 90 days visa.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Congrats, guys. My girl and I recently sold just about everything we had, bought a truck and toy hauler, and are now adventuring from good riding spot to good riding spot for who knows how long. Maybe we'll bump into each other along the way.

Plan to make more stops between Calgary and Whistler. There is soo much good riding in BC.

I applaud all the custom mods you made. Consider a cheap solar charger to keep your batteries topped off.

View attachment 111153
thanks mate.. we got a battery bank of 3 batterys.. the battery inside in the front is for low amp (0.8 amps each) fans going at night, exterior lights, and interior lights that were customized.. we have a kill switch between the 2 other batteries so it does not disturb the turn over of the engine in the morning

I need to do this. At some point you get too old and too entrenched in your job/family/mistress/dogs/crack habit to just wander the earth for a summer.

What is it Warren Miller closes his movies with? Oh yea...
“If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do.”
i dig that quote man.. and yeah.. one of our dudes is getting married and the other is moving.. so this will be the final trip

You guys are the kings of awesome. Great work on the truck. Keep the posts coming!
thanks mate! will do

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Looks like a killer roadtrip!

Word of advice when going into Canada. A couple years a fried of a friend was doing the same sort of trip in a similar vehicle. He got turned away at the border because the Canadian authorities thought he was going to try and stay in Canada. I would try and look as nice as possible (collared shirt freshly shaven) when crossing the border. Make sure you have plenty of time on everyone's passport as well. You don't want to raise any doubts in their mind that you'll be overstaying the 90 days visa.

eee.. will def do that man, being turned around will f alot of reservations up haha ( and whistler! )

DUI arrests in the past will stop you at the border... Prepare for an epic questioning trying to get across the border into canadia... It may not happen but, if it does have all your bases covered. They may do THC reactive wipes on surfaces in your rig, smoke outside the rig. Do a full cleanup of your rig before you cross the border. You can take a case of beer and one liter bottle of liquor per person across the border without duty. Take advantage of this, alcohol is expensive in canada, Declare your liquor! Get a costco card and use that thing in bellingham, on the northern side of the main strip that the costco is on in b-ham is a cheap ass gas/diesel station. Fill it to the brim before you go across the border. GET SOME KRYPTONITE CHAINS AND LOCKS AND SECURE MOUNTS FOR THOSE BIKES. Never get off the boat (apocalypse now), transfers over to the rig. I've got a safe bolted through the floor in my rig for my cameras, hard drives and cash/ passports. You should invest in one. Unlock it before you get to the border or make sure you are opening it with one hand when the border patrol is standing behind you with a big ass machine gun. Have some fun! I'll be in whistler july through october, shoot me an private message...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
DUI arrests in the past will stop you at the border... Prepare for an epic questioning trying to get across the border into canadia... It may not happen but, if it does have all your bases covered. They may do THC reactive wipes on surfaces in your rig, smoke outside the rig. Do a full cleanup of your rig before you cross the border. You can take a case of beer and one liter bottle of liquor per person across the border without duty. Take advantage of this, alcohol is expensive in canada, Declare your liquor! Get a costco card and use that thing in bellingham, on the northern side of the main strip that the costco is on in b-ham is a cheap ass gas/diesel station. Fill it to the brim before you go across the border. GET SOME KRYPTONITE CHAINS AND LOCKS AND SECURE MOUNTS FOR THOSE BIKES. Never get off the boat (apocalypse now), transfers over to the rig. I've got a safe bolted through the floor in my rig for my cameras, hard drives and cash/ passports. You should invest in one. Unlock it before you get to the border or make sure you are opening it with one hand when the border patrol is standing behind you with a big ass machine gun. Have some fun! I'll be in whistler july through october, shoot me an private message...
WTF is up with the canadians being such tight assed dicks the last few years? I've been taking summer road trips up there for almost a decade and about 3-4 years ago, the system switched. It used to be the american border guards were the pricks. 2 years ago I got held up for 2 hours because we had mountain bikes with dirt on them. The last two times I've been up I've been pulled aside for reasonable amounts of beer in my truck (which I've always done because canadian beer sucks), and other random annoying non-issues.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
WTF is up with the canadians being such tight assed dicks the last few years? I've been taking summer road trips up there for almost a decade and about 3-4 years ago, the system switched. It used to be the american border guards were the pricks. 2 years ago I got held up for 2 hours because we had mountain bikes with dirt on them. The last two times I've been up I've been pulled aside for reasonable amounts of beer in my truck (which I've always done because canadian beer sucks), and other random annoying non-issues.
Rest assured, they still are... especially when you're brown or born outside the USA.

Hey transcend, Umm yeah, If you are pulled for an "exploration" they will go through your rig top to bottom and yeah, Full auto rifle on the big boys keeping watch. Standard practice for safety in a "little checkout of your vehicle." I only have been pulled once in the last nine years of my annual trip and it was because the crossing guard was sending every other vehicle to the "inspection station." I wasn't concerned too much but after the first hour I started thinking, "what if I get turned away?" I had to just push down that fear and keep on with my story...The concern was that I had a new to me truck and my hand tools in my carpenter belt. I.E. splitting the states and becoming an illegal in the great country of canadia. Working illegally in Canada and getting caught will result in a lifetime ban from the country. Getting turned away at the border can result in a 6 week to 6 month ban from crossing the border. Tell the truth, be nice and cover your bases and the border is a breeze.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Looks like you are going through Whitefish Montana. Look me up and I can show you some awesome riding.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Hey transcend, Umm yeah, If you are pulled for an "exploration" they will go through your rig top to bottom and yeah, Full auto rifle on the big boys keeping watch. Standard practice for safety in a "little checkout of your vehicle." I only have been pulled once in the last nine years of my annual trip and it was because the crossing guard was sending every other vehicle to the "inspection station." I wasn't concerned too much but after the first hour I started thinking, "what if I get turned away?" I had to just push down that fear and keep on with my story...The concern was that I had a new to me truck and my hand tools in my carpenter belt. I.E. splitting the states and becoming an illegal in the great country of canadia. Working illegally in Canada and getting caught will result in a lifetime ban from the country. Getting turned away at the border can result in a 6 week to 6 month ban from crossing the border. Tell the truth, be nice and cover your bases and the border is a breeze.

thanks for the dump load of knowledge(srs) and some fukking anxiety lmao

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
got to love the sink hole that is europe sometimes, only good thing the politicians has accomplished with the free mobility of people, goods and capital.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
You need to swing that bus South a bit in BC and head thru the Kootenays. Hit Nelson and Rossland. Lots of lakes and big descents.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Radness!! Should be awesome.

A friend of mine had a contest to name his Sportsmobile. The winner was "Vangina". I don't think he would mind you guys stealing it, but it would have to be plastered up in big letters.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I f-ed up one time and left my holster in my truck when we crossed over the border. I guess 4 big guys, me fully sleeved and with a mohawk at the time, were going to get searched. They took four hours, and the damn Pakistani guard kept asking me to lift my shirt so he could check and make sure I hadn't put my gun in my belt or under my gunt.

Best of all, they left all of our crap just sitting on the ground. Another 1/2 hour to repack the truck. **** the border patrol for Canada, when I become dictator they're first at the firing squad. Then New Jersey.

Stiff

Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Miss Washington DC
Seriously. Same happened to me and a US/Canadian friend going from Seattle to Van with bikes and booze. They took a liter of wine from me (I was going to a dinner party) and weren't going to let us in unless we had C$5000 in cash. Luckily I had prexactly that amount in my pocket in checks because I was just coming back to N America after some time in NE Asia. So they let us in, grudgingly.

In fact, the Canuckistani side of that border is the only border where I've gotten hassled anywhere in the world. I've been to about 50 countries and regularly visit Nigeria and other parts of Africa too.

Anyway I'm going on a cross-USA trip in July/Aug and will probably pass on BC this time. Some of those mtn towns in CO, UT, OR, WA, and MT could use some tourist dollars. Plus as Woo said, Canadian beer sucks. It really does.

Best of all, they left all of our crap just sitting on the ground. Another 1/2 hour to repack the truck. **** the border patrol for Canada, when I become dictator they're first at the firing squad. Then New Jersey.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Let's start a thread of RM members most likely to be turned away at the border. I'll give a jump start:

1. Mooshoo
2. DirtMcGirk
3. GFF
4. eaterofdog
5. Yuroshek
1. I feel better I'm behind MooJoo.
2. How am I ahead of GFF?

I'm still allowed in as far as I know. No DUI's, no standing tickets, no real convictions. They just don't like me 'cause I'm Brown.