Quantcast

Roam

Cupcake

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
So I just watched the Roam video, which is super inspiring, but while watching I couldn't help but wonder: Where are all the bad-ass women? And then later, while flipping through Dirt mag, I wondered the same again. I will give Dirt some credit, they did have some nice pics of Moseley, but ultimately this and many of the other bike mags seem to under represent women riders. I do remember there was once a full article on a group of women, but it seemed to be more about 'hot chicks' that ride than how they ride and images relating to that. I really don't care who's hot or who's a graphic designer and a mountain biker, I wanna know how they ride, how long they've been riding, and I wanna see pics of them hitting big stuff and pics of the crashes that can inevitably occur. I realize that there aren't many out there doing big crazy things on their bikes, but couldn't we just see more coverage of the ones that are? If I've missed something, then someone please step in and tell me where to look. How about videos? Does anyone know of any videos of women downhillers?

It makes me sad. I am not the best out there, but I think I am a pretty bad ass chick for riding a mountain bike down mountains. And I think ANY chick who has the ovaries enough to strap a helmet on, pads, and sit on a bike to do what the boys do...give them credit!

We need to be in videos darnit!

SundayJen

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
Hey! My man replied to your complaint about female riders not getting enough credit and I'm sorry this upset you.:mumble: I am a downhill chick my self and love to ride big and hard (the mountain too!) But you have to be honest. Having big "ovaries" isn't enough to get recognized. If we want to be considered equal and "tough" enough we need to "bring it" and few of us can. The few that can are still not as tough as the average guy. So even though we think we are bad asses, as compared to other female riders, we still need to remember we are a different breed and should not expect equal credit or coverage, when our talents or abilities are not. I am all for female sports, but at the same time we need to understand our place. By the way I am a female firefighter/paramedic (and proud) for 5 years now. So don’t think I'm some pansy little girl. I just understand (and appreciate) the difference between men and women.:nuts: So stop whinning ,:nopity: ,grab your Midol, jump on your mauve Juiliana and just ride!!!!
P.S. See you at the Nationals!!!!!:love:

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
not sure what the midol and juliana comment was about, but anyways....

the reason there are no girls in the Roam is that there is no girl that i know of that can ride like darren berrecloth. maybe she's out there.... and right now she's pulling of some killer superman seatgrabs off of HUGE gaps. If that's the case, she should make herself known. I would watch a movie with her in it.

On the other hand, there are girl-only snowboard movies that totally rock.... like chunky knit. it's spectacular. maybe a bunch of girls shold get together and create the same sort of collaboration. i'd check it out.

SundayJen, what do you mean girls should know their place?

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
tirader said:
The reason no women are not represented is because they rarely do anything spectaculer compared to the men riders. We buy videos to see great riding and hot women. If there is a hot woman doing great stunts ....awesome...if not just stick to hot women!!!!
why would you come to a girl's forum and speak such crap? probably to get a reaction. and this is the only one i'll give you - you're dumb.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Check out Hardihood. It's a DVD that follows Missy Giove, Marla Streb and a few others and has some great footage of them (and only follows the female riders). It's not the greatest MTB DVD on the market, but I think it may be what you're looking for.

There are some incredible female riders out there who have as much talent and skill as the men, but there are not nearly as many of them and as such, they don't get the coverage. Yes, men and women are different, but I firmly believe that we can be considered equal and just as tough as the "average guy" and deserve more equal credit and coverage in our sport than we are currently receiving!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
tirader said:
The reason no women are not represented is because they rarely do anything spectaculer compared to the men riders. We buy videos to see great riding and hot women. If there is a hot woman doing great stunts ....awesome...if not just stick to hot women!!!!
:rolleyes:

SundayJen

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
As far as the Midol and Juliana remark if I have to explain you obviously don't have big enough ovaries to understand. If there was a girl out there who could ride like Berrecoth she would be on every channel ( and rightfully so)..... I'm sorry but I must have missed the "Y-Games" last week on ESPN. EXPALINATION:{ X-Games= X chromosomes and Y-Games =Y chromosomes} Women have their place in female categories but should not expect special treatment just because they have "big ovaries". You want equality and equal coverage...... earn it!!!! I'll be looking for you Ms.Amydalayna to do the next 20ft superman seat grab stunt at the next X-Games. And by the way when did ride monkey become a girl’s forum.

tirader

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
I would reply but SundayJen left me speechless:thumb: After the Y-Games ... I think they are coming out with a new movie...Roamette!!!

tirader

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
Your the one who needed explaination on the female anatomy.... and by the way if you want equality stay on the downhill or freeride forums. If all were equal we would not need mudfunnies...oh the mudhunnies forum!!!:weee:

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
I started a thread on this subject a while back after watching ROAM myself.
And I also added a reply after watching Hardihood. That was just lame. Did the thing get any better after Missy was slicing pickles in her kitchen? Because that's the point where I think I fell asleep.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
SundayJen said:
As far as the Midol and Juliana remark if I have to explain you obviously don't have big enough ovaries to understand. If there was a girl out there who could ride like Berrecoth she would be on every channel ( and rightfully so)..... I'm sorry but I must have missed the "Y-Games" last week on ESPN. EXPALINATION:{ X-Games= X chromosomes and Y-Games =Y chromosomes} Women have their place in female categories but should not expect special treatment just because they have "big ovaries". You want equality and equal coverage...... earn it!!!! I'll be looking for you Ms.Amydalayna to do the next 20ft superman seat grab stunt at the next X-Games. And by the way when did ride monkey become a girl’s forum.
um, not to be picky, but guys have XY chromosomes and women are XX. the analogy doesn't work. sorry, i'm a science teacher :)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
tirader: Men coming into the Mudhunnies forum just to smacktalk women will not be tolerated. The Mudhunnies forum was created so female RM members can discuss riding from their perspective.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
SundayJen said:
Hey! My man replied to your complaint about female riders not getting enough credit and I'm sorry this upset you.:mumble: I am a downhill chick my self and love to ride big and hard (the mountain too!) But you have to be honest. Having big "ovaries" isn't enough to get recognized. If we want to be considered equal and "tough" enough we need to "bring it" and few of us can. The few that can are still not as tough as the average guy.
P.S. See you at the Nationals!!!!!:love:
Many of the women out there racing (and girls on this forum) are tougher than the average guy...ever been on a group ride and pass most of the guys on the trail? I'm sure this is a common experience for many women out there.

The problem is that the guys in the videos are NOT average..

BTW...the last National just happened this past weekend :cool:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
SuperKat said:
I started a thread on this subject a while back after watching ROAM myself.
And I also added a reply after watching Hardihood. That was just lame. Did the thing get any better after Missy was slicing pickles in her kitchen? Because that's the point where I think I fell asleep.
Not really, but the video is more of a "day in the life" rather than just riding footage. It's definitely not as cool as Roam or the Collective, but wasn't too bad.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
stephanie said:
um, not to be picky, but guys have XY chromosomes and women are XX. the analogy doesn't work. sorry, i'm a science teacher :)
Not to mention "X Games" stands for "Extreme Games" and has nothing to do with gender, but I assume SundayJen was just trying to make a joke there.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
stephanie said:

why am i not surprised that sunday would get this confused. :rolleyes:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
TreeSaw said:
Thanks! I've wanted to do that since I read the post last night, but wasn't sure I should use my powers too hastily :devil:
Oh DOH, I just noticed what happened. :rofl:
I had a before and after "picture" and I went "WTF! is going on?" after I posted...
Too Funny!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
laura said:
why am i not surprised that sunday would get this confused. :rolleyes:
that's okay...seems a lot of folks are chromosome confused these days. Decline can't figure it out either. In the Sept. issue, in the US Open article:

"Racers with two X chromosomes had to finish in the top 60 in pro or top 100 in amateur to get a chance to run the course during Sunday's finals. If you had a Y chromosome in your DNA, the pressure was less; all women transferred to the finals."

LMAO when I read that! :rofl: :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i understand why women feel underrepresented in videos, but you have to understand where videos fit into marketing and what they are designed to do: showcase THE BEST freeriders in the world who are pushing the envelope. Not to sound degradory at all, but as far as I can tell female freeriders are still just trying to keep up with the men in the freestyle arena. There have been no female riders in Monster Park, or the Adidas Slopestyle or Crankworx. Did any women try to qualify for Crankworx this year (as it was open format, anyone could enter; i ask because I honestly don't know - I'm not trying to sound condescending)? Its not just mountain biking though - where are all the pro female bmx riders? pro female skateboards? pro female freestyle moto-x? Snowboarding is the only "extreme" sport I can think of offhand that is full of female talent when it comes to freestyle. I'd love to see some women step-up and compete slopestyle. hey Kat - when are you gonna start doing backflips? :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i was trying to contribute legitimate thoughts (and some facts) on the subject, not start a ruckus. sometimes it helps to take a step back and examine all viewpoints or someone else's shoes. (ie from the perspective of freeride entertainment)

zoey

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
california
Hardihood was a little boring. I would love to watch a vid of Marla Streb or one of the other Luna Chix, or April Lawyer etc... It doesn't have to always be about pushing the envelope and being extreme. I'm just interested in their lives and what makes them ride, and would love to watch them do what they do best.

I liked Off Road to Athens a lot.

nervous_john

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Even though I am indeed a man I would like to throw in my thoughts on Miss Cupcake's post. Hope you ladies don't object.

As far as I can tell most posters have offered that although many women do indeed rip, there are none which can compete with the top men freestylers like Bearclaw, Simmons etc. and hence, no video coverage. My question is be do they need to? Bear with me- pro women tennis players can't serve or hit as hard as men, tend not to be as large physically or as fast so they have trouble covering the court as well. You match the best pro woman against a comperable man and she will more than likely have trouble competing. Tennis' answer is to seperate the sexes. By doing so women are not forced to try and overcome their physical limitations and can instead focus on the game. In the process they have really created a different and equally rewarding style of play which focuses on finese rather than power. The fact that the women may not be as strong or as skillfull as the men head to head never diminishes the enjoyment of watching a women's match, they play a different game and are quite adept at doing so. Or men's boxing- welterweight, lightweight, heavyweight etc. No one disses the lightweights because they're less strong or can't hit as hard as the heavies. It doesn't mean they're less successfull as boxers. They fight differently and it is just as enjoyable (if you like that sort of thing) to watch. Different physical builds tend to lead people to adapt and alter the way the game is played.

Extending that logic into women's freestyle/downhill riding is only a winning situation. Why should the women have to compete with the best men to get some respect? Does the fact that the best women's freestyler may not be as good as Romaniuk diminish the experience of watching her shred? I say no. Allowing women to get out from the stigma of being "not as good as men" will allow them to develop their own thing and really flourish. Exposure and variety bring growth.

As far as a market for women specific videos (and gear for that matter) it's a chicken and egg debate. Are there no videos because there's no interest or is there no interest because there are no videos or promotion. I tend to think that if the sport was marketed to women there would be more women in it (if they weren't discouraged by encounters with the number of meathead gnar-core douschebag guys who seem to thrive on their own toughness). Snowboarding is a great example. Women specific videos, star athletes and equipment. Think how much more enjoyable riding would be for women if there were actually aggressive/downhill bikes and gear designed for them (ie. lower standover frames in really small sizes, real shorts that aren't hotpants with an anatomically correct liner, or better yet- armor that accounts for boobs). It would go along way to getting women into the sport. How about if women were not completely bombarded with images of girls being pretty and instead were shown athletic, successfull women hitting the rock garden or throwin' up a whip. I think you'd have some women saying "that's pretty cool- she's not much bigger or tougher looking than me. Maybe I can do that". I think this is also why you tend to see most of the women who ride seriously and aggressively involved in racing. Women have their own brackets and have role models (albeit woefully underexposed ones) like Missy Giove. It's becoming an established path where women don't have to match the men. It will grow because of it

I think there's interest out there, I think that companies are missing out on valuable market segment because of stereotypes, and I think all of us irregardless of gender miss out on what women can bring to the sport.

I think this is the nature of Cupcake's inquiry and critique. Women should be able to have outlets to see other women really tear it up regardless of how they fair against men- for better or worse. It's either that or force young women to continue to read people mag and look up to Britney spears because that's all that's out there.

I like you nervous john. You made some excellent points. Why should women have to be categorized with men? Are we with basketball? softball? hockey? no. We have our own leagues. We have our own rules and standards. Let the men have their sports and excel in them. But why cant we have ours too? Why cant someone just get a camera, go across the states and find chick riders that will session for them?! IT would be SO possible. You just have to find those passioniate to do it. And they video clips are out there....just do a google search. And if those clips arent out there..its because of crap like this where women think they are good but not even close to being good enough to compete or stand next to they guys so they jsut say, who cares...who wants to see me ride when they could watch cowan or gracia.

When I can a video, gender doesnt even enter my brain. I watch for the movements and form that I could possible pick up.

I know I will never be as good as some guys I know, but I try to be the best I can be by my own standards and THAT is what keeps me riding.

Videos, smideos. Just ride. Live, Love, and ride.

Cupcake

Chimp
Aug 14, 2006
It's not that I want to be as good as the guys, though I do on occasion envy their strengths and ability to throw caution to the wind. There is a lot to be gained from watching riders in general. However, there are other factors I as a rider have to contend with that aren't necessarily captured in a video of a 6ft twenty-something year old guy whose bike and armor are made to fit his stature. Though I can take some cues on basic form, ultimately I'm curious how a 5 foot thirty something is able to muscle her bike through rocks and other miscellaneous terrain on the mountain. Did anyone ever have to do that weird thing in grade school in which both the girls and boys had to lean their heads against the wall and lift a chair? Notice how the girls could always do it easily? Why was that? I think some here would have me believe it has something to do with my bra or hip size. We don't ride like guys (and it IS NOT because I've got ovaries and I most certainly don't need any Midol - talk about taking a step backwards, by the way). I do agree with John and perhaps that's what I'm looking for: someone like me doing stuff I'm afraid of.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
my apologies for being so late to the party

SundayJen said:
The few that can are still not as tough as the average guy. So even though we think we are bad asses, as compared to other female riders, we still need to remember we are a different breed and should not expect equal credit or coverage, when our talents or abilities are not.
This is the kind of thinking that leads all women back into the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. Thank you for advancing our cause.
I am hereby revoking your right to be a woman card.
Please give your woman parts to someone who can use them properly (and will be proud and dignified to have them). Someone who won't embarrass me to be of the same gender, and preferably with a brain in their head.

SundayJen said:
I am all for female sports, but at the same time we need to understand our place.

Excuse Me????

You said we need to understand our place?????
Are you serious?:rofl:

I suggest you stop eating the crap that's been fed to you.

SundayJen said:
By the way I am a female firefighter/paramedic (and proud) for 5 years now. So don’t think I'm some pansy little girl. I just understand (and appreciate) the difference between men and women.:nuts:
I also understand the difference between men and women, but that doesn't mean that I have to understand 'my place' (whatever the hll that means).

I don't assume that any chick is a pansy... Maybe you should stop thinking other chicks are pansies.

We are mountain bikers/ downhill riders. You don't find "pansy" chicks doing this. For cryin' out loud, Treesaw kept riding when she was pregnant! She wasn't holed up on the couch eating bon bons and complaining. Women here have gotten many injuries..... You won't find any 'woe is me' posts here.

Your whole attitude towards other women is astounding, and frankly, degrading.

SundayJen said:
So stop whinning ,:nopity: ,grab your Midol, jump on your mauve Juiliana and just ride!!!!
It's truly amazing that someone of the same gender can stereotype their own. wonderful.

Thank you for supporting other women.
You're a piece of work.

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
SundayJen said:
As far as the Midol and Juliana remark if I have to explain you obviously don't have big enough ovaries to understand.
Wow. You are actually calling other women dumb.
The sheer hilarity of this is going to make my head explode.

SundayJen said:
If there was a girl out there who could ride like Berrecoth she would be on every channel ( and rightfully so)..... I'm sorry but I must have missed the "Y-Games" last week on ESPN. EXPALINATION:{ X-Games= X chromosomes and Y-Games =Y chromosomes}
Your little joke is poorly executed.
You owned yourself on this.
Go grow a brain.

Learn how to spell while you are at it.

SundayJen said:
Women have their place in female categories but should not expect special treatment just because they have "big ovaries".
Here we go again with the 'place' thing.

Women have their place.

Can you actually say that to yourself without thinking that sounds entirely idiotic?

And about expecting 'special treatment'... I don't know of anyone here who was asking for special treatment. I do know of people who are just asking to be treated fairly. There's a difference between the two.

SundayJen said:
And by the way when did ride monkey become a girl’s forum.
Ridemonkey has had a women's forum for longer than I've been here.
I'm sorry you don't have the intellect to actually navigate out of the mudhunnie's section and see what else is available.

Go to the political forum. You'll have lots of fun. Say something disparaging about women, minorities, and bombing third world countries. It'll be great.

:D

MudGrrl

Mar 4, 2004
tirader said:
Your the one who needed explaination on the female anatomy.... and by the way if you want equality stay on the downhill or freeride forums. If all were equal we would not need mudfunnies...oh the mudhunnies forum!!!:weee:
oh, thanks.

name calling.

It's nice to know that you can debate a point using intellect and wisdom.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
zoey said:
Hardihood was a little boring. I would love to watch a vid of Marla Streb or one of the other Luna Chix, or April Lawyer etc... It doesn't have to always be about pushing the envelope and being extreme. I'm just interested in their lives and what makes them ride, and would love to watch them do what they do best.

I liked Off Road to Athens a lot.
I totally agree with this. I want to watch women riders in videos but I don't care if they are doing 25ft drops or throwing themselves off cliffs. I for one don't care who's going the biggest or who's hurting themselves the most....I just want to see other female riders ride and get scared and fall and get back on their bikes and ride again. And I want to hear about their lives and what drives them.

I agree with Nervous John also. Why should females be compared to the top male riders. I think female riders ride differently, for one thing we don't have the same strength that male riders do so some things ARE harder for us to do but just because we don't go as huge or as fast as the guys doesn't make us less of a rider.

There is less exposure to females when they're growing up. None of my friends rode bikes, they all played soccer or ran track....the guys were on their bikes very early in their life and they got the exposure. So just seeing a girl on a bike and ripping it up is a big accomplishment because we overcame the stereotypical girl mold. Girls like Tracey Hannah had the exposure early on so now she's ripping it up.

I can't stand hearing "She rides like a guy". Why do we have to ride like guys in order to be respected? Why can't we ride like a girl and ride good and be respected for that?

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I am glad to see this thread has finally gotten some intelligent discussion. As for myself I prefer to not focus on how most men will be better than me because of their size/strength. That idea doesn't do my confidence any good nor the idea that we should compete in our own female categories. For some sports that is true - ie boxing or basketball comes to mind, but for others, women can compete - ie rock climbing. For me, women have really come to shine in rock climbing and there are outstanding women who are leading/freeing routes on a level with the best men. I like to think that this can be true in alot of aspects of biking, as long as, someone pointed out, we can get the correct-sized gear and clothing to work with!

I really don't see that women can't be as "ballsy" as the men but as someone pointed out, women generally haven't grown up being as physically active as men which consequently leads to a confidence in one's abilities and the tendency to take chances.