Quantcast

rock climbing - how to get started?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've wanted to try rock climbing for a while. I know there are a few climbers on the board... what's the best way to get started? Is it like skiing... can I rent the gear for a day and try it out, maybe take a "lesson" with a guide/instructor?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've dabbled in it. People usually start out on a wall or bouldering. I was always limited by hand strength/endurance. I wouldn't think it would be worth spending any money on until you could build up a little endurance. I would start out by just building hand strength then finding a gym or a place to boulder. Of course it helps to hook up with some experienced folks who would show you the ropes. No pun intended.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
^^^^^ Like he said, find a buddy with all the gear and go with them a few times. See if you like it first before you buy any gear. I learned outside but indoor gyms can be more beginner friendly.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
try starting out at a indoor climbing center. itll help you get used to using muscles youre not used to using.
youll also be able to talk with the guys there to get better recommendations.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Gyms are a good way to find climbing partners. Not as fun as outdoors but it will at least help you connect with people, and you can rent gear. I've actually pulled a craigs list and had it work out ok too. Hell I'll be honest I even found my girlfriend that way...looking for climbing partners.

Edit: I'll also add that you'll probably come across alot of people who are care way too much about ratings, as opposed to having a good time. I've found people like that can be fustrating as partners.

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Cornell offers 2 hour lessons for $36 that includes all the gear on their indoor facility. Seems like a logical first step for me... we'll see what happens.

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Cornell offers 2 hour lessons for $36 that includes all the gear on their indoor facility. Seems like a logical first step for me... we'll see what happens.
That's a pretty good deal. Do you go to Cornell. I'm pretty sure they have an outdoor club, which would be a good way to get climbing outside.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I got a semester pass with a few friends a couple years ago. Good times, especially in the winter. They've got all the equipment there for rental or purchase. Their wall is big with some decent challenge, but gets a little boring after a few months. For the most part, you need two people to climb, so signing up with a friend is usually the best.

I've done tons of indoor climbing...but never real outdoor climbing :disgust:

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
Edit: I'll also add that you'll probably come across alot of people who are care way too much about ratings, as opposed to having a good time. I've found people like that can be fustrating as partners.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, that is what people are taught when they learn and feel that that is the only thing that matters. I am a manager at an indoor gym here in Pennsylvania and I was very fortunate to be taught by someone at the complete other end of the spectrum. I just spent a weekend in at the Gunks and didn't climb anything above a 5.7, and had an absolute blast.

As for the actual question about starting to climb, I would agree that gyms are the best places. Many have beginners classes and the good ones teach technique rather than power. Don't worry about hand strength and stamina, that will come with time if you stick with it. Also check out rockclimbing.com, it's a good place to hook up with people that like to teach. If you don't mind a little drive, check out the Gunks in New Paltz NY and give the store there called Rock and Snow a call. They can hook you up with a guide that will teach you the right ways to do things outside, just make sure that they are AMGA certified.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Most indoor gyms offer beginner lessons and 1mt memberships with the beginner classes.