Quantcast

Rock garden techniques

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Since were discussing techniques, I thought this would be a good one to explore as well.

Rock gardens. While hitting them at speed will typically bounce you over the top of them, the larger ones (rock gardens) tend to be more cumbersome. We've all seen the wrecks where bodies and bikes were bouncing around and flipping.

So, what is the best way to approach them? I've seen riders just cruise through, and I've seen others have a difficult time. I'm somewhere in the middle.

What approach seems to work the best?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
now this is a subject i can sink my teeth into.

around here if you can't rip rockgardens, then your missing out on 3/4 of the fun.

first thing is actually removing a little air from your tires.( we see soooo many riders come up here and overinflate their tires.) that way they conform to the terrain better. too much and you just bounce around.

next is following the old rule of slow in (that's a relative term)fast out.
blowing into a section and then slamming on the brakes will most likely spit you off line robbing your momentum, or worse.

but most of all RELAX, RELAX, RELAX. stay loose, get your wieght back, level your pedals and let that bike that you paid thousands of dollars for do its work.

as far as i'm concerned, a trail can't have enough rocks.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Never loose your momentum and stay loose. If you are fighting the rocks, the rocks win.

Actual approaches vary with the section. Sometimes going over the biggest chunks works, other times slicing and dicing around.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
dhbuilder said:
but most of all RELAX, RELAX, RELAX. stay loose, get your wieght back, level your pedals and let that bike that you paid thousands of dollars for do its work.
the best advice i ever came across for DH was from a Mik Hannah interview......"Concentrate on relaxing"

..applys to almost everything on a DH course....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Cant Climb said:
the best advice i ever came across for DH was from a Mik Hannah interview......"Concentrate on relaxing"

..applys to almost everything on a DH course....
you can actually "feel" your bike working, the more relaxed you are.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
dont grap the bars tight stay loose, carry a straight line with speed, dont even put your finger on the rear brake lever, try gapping and/or slightely manueling when appropriate, keep all of your weight pretty center (a lot of people say to lean off the seat but when carrying speed and lifting the front end up than you wont get bounced off the rear, keep a low air pressure (Stan's No Tubes)

OR you could just be all off the chain and gap from top to bottom....just like i do:rofl:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I've noticed that. If I'm having a real relaxed time of it during the day, I fair pretty well, if tense, it's a fight.

What I have found is to control the speed going in, and once in, roll...In some instances gapping is the better bet, so long as your lined up right leaving and landing...

Loose and rolling through seems to have been the best bet...I ALWAYS remind myself let of the brakes, because, it can be a subconscious thing to hit 'em when this seem like the MAY get hairy.

Its all about smooth flow...and I'm working on getting smoother...

The tire pressure issue is real important, because I've caught myself with TOO much pressure before and a bouncing we will go...!! :eek:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
For me it's tough balance between staying loose and relaxed and at the same time ready to muscle the bike through when needed. I completely agree that keeping speed and momentum is key. So is knowing when to straight-line barrel through and over stuff as opposed to slicing and dicing around. If it's really sketch I try to do a little recon and walk the line first.

esr

Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
ontario,canada
Rocks..........

Rocks are all diffrent and pose a new challenge with there ranging shapes sizes and placements..

The first step in my book is to walk the sectionand look at what line or lines jump out at you. Once you establish a line that you think is good sit and watch ( remember the tortis won the race). When watching other people you can usually find a person or group of people at your level and see what techniques they are using to conquer the section. A big thing also is dont watch the hero guy who takes the one time line and think that is the best way remember if you cant stay consistent through the line why ride it.

Rocks

Ok once you have gotten your line choice through watching people and picking what works best for your style take a few low speed runs and make sure that you have the line tight so that you can actually run it while keeping your head up and watching ten or so feet ahead If you are watching your front wheel you are not going fast enought and you are not watching what is coming up.

After dialing in the line I usually like togo sit back down and watch riders again and see if any new lines are developing, remember rocks move dirt changes so always progress the line. That hero line may now be the best line.

Finally when riding rocks remember a wheels that is rolling free can pretty much can roll over everything you will find on a dh course so speed is your friend.

A good example is the old Canada cup course at bromont (transcend do you have a pic) the top long rock section used tobe slow for me until i Realized all the rocks where low and could be just hammered through without any problam.

Final notes keep your head up hips back arms unlocked and ready and just pin it cause really we ride to go fast and crashing is part of it so go fast and worry about the crash after it happens.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
motomike said:
pin it ya fairy

:rofl: :rofl:

bring that attitude to windrock in a couple of weeks when we open up.
there's a "few" rocks you have yet to see.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
dhbuilder said:
ha! a few. I've only seen dark hollow and some other trail. I've got some work to do next time I'm up there...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dhbuilder said:

I usually stare at my front tire until I feel there's a big enough rock approaching that I can stare at to get a good solid contact with my fullface.

Can I bring that to windrock?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
kidwoo said:
I usually stare at my front tire until I feel there's a big enough rock approaching that I can stare at to get a good solid contact with my fullface.

Can I bring that to windrock?
bring it on.
man i hope this thread is still alive and kickin when we start riding in a couple of weeks.

we're gonna have some photos i tell ya !!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What you want to do it pedal as hard as you can right into the rock garden, then lean forward as far as you can possibly lean. Stretch your neck out, and to measure if you leaned foward enough, look down and make sure you are looking out over the front tire and onto dirt. Then as you approach the first rock, tense up your entire body as tight as you can, and when your front wheel touches the first rock,
push down on your front fork as hard as you can.
Try it, its a hoot!:bomb: ...:rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dhbuilder said:
bring it on.
man i hope this thread is still alive and kickin when we start riding in a couple of weeks.

we're gonna have some photos i tell ya !!!
I'm actually thinking about a trip eastward this fall. Windrock would be on the list. I check some of the pics floating around in the south forum and it looks like a lot of fun.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
What you want to do it pedal as hard as you can right into the rock garden, then lean forward as far as you can possibly lean. Stretch your neck out, and to measure if you leaned foward enough, look down and make sure you are looking out over the front tire and onto dirt. Then as you approach the first rock, tense up your entire body as tight as you can, and when your front wheel touches the first rock,
folks, i've seen him do just that !!!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Jeremy R said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I was lauging so hard:rofl: :rofl: I think that is definately THE BEST way.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Zark said:
Never loose your momentum and stay loose. If you are fighting the rocks, the rocks win.

Actual approaches vary with the section. Sometimes going over the biggest chunks works, other times slicing and dicing around.
I agree, stay off the brakes in the garden if possible.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
sanjuro said:
btw, is the worse rock garden Mt Snow's Yardsale?
here at windrock, we were given more land this past fall that we'll start developing next winter.

i was hiking some of it awhile back, and spotted what could be the best rockgarden i've ever laid eyes on.

for those of you familiar with this place, just imagine the "southernrocks" trail. only twice as long and STEEPER !!!

i'd definately put it up against the "yardsale".

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
sirknight6 said:
I've seen videos of "Yardsale" and it looks insane. For those who rode it, what has proven to be an effective method?
I've only ridden it a few times, but from what I've done and seen, there aren't too many different effective ways of getting through. People get creative but there seems to be one obvious line. Keeping weight way way back, staying focused and not braking too much on the front are key. If you go too fast (which is a pretty easy thing to do), you'll just get out of control. At the end you can just kind of let it rip but at the top and middle, the idea is to maintain control, keep the wheels rolling and keep focus.

Oh, and if it's wet out, you're probably going to crash so just accept it.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Rock gardens are what Shivers and 9inches of rear travel are for!!:cool:

And stay relaxed, knee's out to let the bike move around, stay focused on your line, speed is your friend.:love:

I like rock gardens.:oink:

SCARY

Not long enough
When approaching a rock garden ,look for the closest Norba official and yell at the top of your lungs."THIS THING IS GONNA KILL SOMEBODY!!YOU SHOULD REMOVE THIS BARBARIC SECTION AT ONCE !!!THIS IS NOT A "DOWNHILL TRIALS COURSE"!!DON'T YOU BLOODTHIRSTY ,LOW BROW ANIMALS CARE THAT YOU'RE CHARGING PEOPLE TO HASTEN THEIR OWN CERTAIN DEATHS??!!!.Then tip toe the whole section and return to your GT trailer,where your mechanic will futher polish your propaganda skills ...so hopefully in the near future we can just wipe Vermont off the racemap altogether.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
JRogers said:
I've only ridden it a few times, but from what I've done and seen, there aren't too many different effective ways of getting through. People get creative but there seems to be one obvious line. Keeping weight way way back, staying focused and not braking too much on the front are key. If you go too fast (which is a pretty easy thing to do), you'll just get out of control. At the end you can just kind of let it rip but at the top and middle, the idea is to maintain control, keep the wheels rolling and keep focus.

Oh, and if it's wet out, you're probably going to crash so just accept it.
Yardsale isn't that big of a deal. I probably have 40 runs through it in its various versions over the years. It is actually pretty simple to ride slowly when dry. It just gets complicated when you try to do things fast.

When i got blown up in yardsale, i was going WAY too fast and tried to gap the entire lower section (the year it turned 90 degs left half way down). It worked in practice once, the second time...not so much.

If you rode it you knwo what i mean. Left turn into here - then i tried to jump from this flat rock all the way to the bottom of the gnarly stuff. Stupid idea.