Quantcast

Rock Gardens

laguna

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Seen some vids on Youtube showing Diablo's rock gardens. Now I'm scared!

Any tips to get through in one piece?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Woof!

How's the elbow coming along?

I'm staying at the Days Inn for the Open - send me a PM and let me know what you're up to.

Seen some vids on Youtube showing Diablo's rock gardens. Now I'm scared!

Any tips to get through in one piece?
Hey, don't wory - the rock gardens are pretty gnarly but if you study the lines and try to find the smoothest one, you should be O.K.

Check this out about skimming over obstacles like rock gardens from Lee McCormick:
http://www.leelikesbikes.com/skimming-over-obstacles.html

Just remember that the slower you go, the more control you will have but the ride will be much more rough and bumpy. Don't panic and keep cool.

Keep your weight back and centered over the bike - basically you should look like this: (see attachment below)

If you feel yourself getting a little squirrely, GENTLY apply the front and rear brake. If you have to stop in a hurry, apply your brakes as best you can WITHOUT locking up the front or rear wheel...

Use a firm grip on the bars, but keep your body loose. Use your arms and legs as extra suspension travel to suck up and absorb the terrain.

Attachments

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...there's an official party?!

Since when?... I've been going there since 04'... of course I had my gf with me every time, and she didn't really like being there in spite of the fact that I didn't force her to go...

You get the picture.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

:biggrin:

So what is this keg party, I mean "official party" all about?

RATM

Monkey
Aug 5, 2004
Washington DC area
SKC thanks for the link, it makes sense, we'll see how it works out this season. Line choice has always been my problem, and a little lack of confidence on the rocks, especially when turning in a rock garden.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
SKC thanks for the link, it makes sense, we'll see how it works out this season. Line choice has always been my problem, and a little lack of confidence on the rocks, especially when turning in a rock garden.
Just do what I do - take it slow and NEVER ride beyond your ability.

Keep everything in perspective - It's just a race, there will be others.:biggrin:

Seanmankiw - I was thining of finding out where a good bar is and setting up shop there...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Diablo had some the rockiest sections i have ever ridden, there was one trail we rode the first time we were at the mountain it was right by the lift i think it was "slayer" first run and i was basically doing trials moves half way down it was raining like hell to.

BMW has some of the most fun rock lines i have ever ridden, there are a couple runs which are almost to much for my liking but the mountain has alot to offer. Man UP!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...O.K. sooooo... what and where is the Hex Bar???

I know the surrounding area pretty well, but the bars around the mountain I'm totally unfamiliar with.

Where do Marc and the trailcrew guys go to drink? If anyone knows about a good bar near the mountain I'm guessing it would be those guys.

:biggrin:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Diablo had some the rockiest sections i have ever ridden, there was one trail we rode the first time we were at the mountain it was right by the lift i think it was "slayer" first run and i was basically doing trials moves half way down it was raining like hell to.

BMW has some of the most fun rock lines i have ever ridden, there are a couple runs which are almost to much for my liking but the mountain has alot to offer. Man UP!
:dead: BMW has tried to kill me in the past ;)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the only time i made it to diablo it was raining the whole time and I was on a roadtrip back to the east coast from southern california. that was a rude introduction. the rock gardens were like riding on snot with the dry conditions tires i had on there, and the wooden stuff was even worse.

countless crashes but still lots of fun.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yep.

I learned the hard way that being lazy w/ tire selection at Diablo can cost you.

I was running 60a 909 FRO's for urban riding and didn't want to bother changing to my Maxxis 40SRY Minion DHF's for a rainy Domination race last year.

Wound up in the hospital w/ torn ligaments in my thumb from a wash-out in a rocky corner.

Definitely run sticky race-compound tires when it rains - the rocks will have you sliding everywhere, and the wooden structures are like sheets of ice if you run anything less.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
ya, i was on panaracer fire fr's, perhaps the hardest tires in production. they last forever in socal when most people shed knobs on every ride, but they are safely in the closet now that i'm back here.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Definitely run sticky race-compound tires when it rains - the rocks will have you sliding everywhere, and the wooden structures are like sheets of ice if you run anything less.
Wood scares me in the wet. I ride on the damp wood stuff the same way I ride on ice in the winter- go straight and fast and you'll probably be fine.

I think Slayer is the trail that sent me to the hospital :plthumbsdown: