Quantcast

Rock Shox Boxxer are getting the DLC coated stanchions

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Sweet. All this time, I knew in my gut that the only thing holding me back from consistent Cat 1 podiums was the damn friction on my fork stanchions; once I shell out the dough for these, I'll have no excuse!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Sweet. All this time, I knew in my gut that the only thing holding me back from consistent Cat 1 podiums was the damn friction on my fork stanchions; once I shell out the dough for these, I'll have no excuse!
I agree, and this slight reduction in friction more than makes up for the crappily tuned stock dampers!

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
DLC come and goes. Though its super hard and super smooth the biggest problem was always that it was so thin it would fail relatively quickly. I wonder if they have sorted this problem or as there a works fork they are not bothered about the short life,

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I cant believe no one has realized this yet... My fork wont say boxxer anymore! Who wants to ride a "XER"? Until they figure out how to reverse color the coating, count me out.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Suzuki has been putting a DLC coating on the GSXR1000 forks for at least 3 years now. I'm sure if it just rubbed off it would have happened on a streetbike fork with 10,000 miles in much greater numbers that on a DH fork with 100 days on it unless the quality of the coating is much different.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I was hoping to see the whole etching stanchions thing would go away! (RE 'XER')

Now on a vanity tip that red boxxer with black stanchions is making my noodle spasm!

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I cant believe no one has realized this yet... My fork wont say boxxer anymore! Who wants to ride a "XER"? Until they figure out how to reverse color the coating, count me out.
Why don't you just ask RUFUS to make you a sticker and then you can just put the BOX on there yourself...

Or maybe that will be part of a graphic update, they'll move the entire name onto the lower. The only thing I think I'd miss about that is the kind of neat trick of marking the appropriate sag measurements on the stanchion.

Capricorn

Monkey
Jan 9, 2010
Cape Town, ZA
Dont worry: with that black coatin and white lowers, it will look like a Marzo, and if they sorted out their internals, it will ride like a Marzo. So think XER, ride Marzo.. :D

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I agree, and this slight reduction in friction more than makes up for the crappily tuned stock dampers!
:rofl:

Yeah, I've got no idea what they were doing with the stock tunes. Super spiky at speed. I've messed with my old Totem enough that I'm pretty sure I can get the Team I have en route to feel right though.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Sweet... Good to see they are already trying new things with the 2010 Boxxer, since the 06-09 Boxxer's were virtually unchanged.

BCleveland

Chimp
Sep 1, 2008
Concepción, Chile!
but did Marzocchi had their new Nickel Coated Stantions, replacing the black ones, because they were smother/stronger? (stronger against scratches obviously)

since the 05 WC boxxy, had similar ones (idk if they were Nickel Coated, but yet similar), why don't just go with Nickel Coated?..

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I always thought Marzocchi's looked cheaped with black stancions, and I'll hold to it with Rock Shox. Not a fan of it visually, and I'm cant imagine the performance being more than marginally better. Just my opinion.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Great, now it just looks like an 888RC2X. Same size stanchions, colours and everything.

Seriously though, is that the same coating the old 888's used? I never had a huge problem with it, but it did eventually start wearing/fading to the gold underneath.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Great, now it just looks like an 888RC2X. Same size stanchions, colours and everything.

Seriously though, is that the same coating the old 888's used? I never had a huge problem with it, but it did eventually start wearing/fading to the gold underneath.
If I know anything about material science, its that same colour = same material. It has to be the same stuff.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Suzuki has been putting a DLC coating on the GSXR1000 forks for at least 3 years now. I'm sure if it just rubbed off it would have happened on a streetbike fork with 10,000 miles in much greater numbers that on a DH fork with 100 days on it unless the quality of the coating is much different.
Looks the same as my 05 gsxr 1000 as well, which are identical to the newer ones as well... Had a ton of miles on mine when I was done and ZERO mars or marks....

Gold would be alot better for sure, it looks ALOT better.......

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Terrible idea for bike stantions, as the DLC coating is known to be quite brittle. All fine when you put it on a steel stantion, but aluminium sees too much strain and there is too great a harness differenctial between the coating and the substrate, so it will part company.

Hence why Fox went with Kashima, as it was especially engineered for coating aluminium.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
Terrible idea for bike stantions, as the DLC coating is known to be quite brittle. All fine when you put it on a steel stantion, but aluminium sees too much strain and there is too great a harness differenctial between the coating and the substrate, so it will part company.

Hence why Fox went with Kashima, as it was especially engineered for coating aluminium.
ding ding ding ding

we have a weener! :D

unless they are doing something special, I wouldn't be surprise if the DLC coating chips easily like the Silver Slippery did.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Dont worry: with that black coatin and white lowers, it will look like a Marzo, and if they sorted out their internals, it will ride like a Marzo. So think XER, ride Marzo.. :D
You mean it will dive for no apparent reason every time I do something other than huck to flat and feel really loose unless I crank up the LSC all the way up? ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I always thought Marzocchi's looked cheaped with black stancions, and I'll hold to it with Rock Shox. Not a fan of it visually, and I'm cant imagine the performance being more than marginally better. Just my opinion.

Oh, the black finish was hot. But you just had to make sure it was paired with the right dress and boots. I still miss this bike:

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Eventually the will come up with a slick coating like Fox did with kashima.

I want to know more about the prototype internals they mentioned.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
rock shox had a slick coating well before Fox did as the showed in that video with the old SiD
they also had a "slick" coating on their WC Boxxer before the air version several years back.

world champ XER fork
anyone notice that fender thingy? looks like it is attached to the stem or handlebars. maybe they explain it in the slide show (i haven't had a chance to listen to it yet).