Quantcast

Rock Shox Totem

Ok, so I read about RS new freeride single crown 7 inch fork called the Totem I think??? Did not say anything about when it was coming to the market. Talked to Steve Roma-maniac at Monster Park about it cause I saw it was on his bike, and he seems to love it. Now that the marketing strategy has seemed to work on me and I got wood :banana: for it - does anybody know when it's coming out????? I assumed 2007 but haven't heard.

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
from universalcycles.com

"07 Rock Shox Lyrik Coil U-Turn Fork

RoxkShox Lyrik All-Mountain forks feature the Mission Control damping system: independent high and low-speed compression damping, Floodgate adjustment, and Floodgate on/off switch

Intended application: All Mountain
35mm aluminum upper tubes
New Mission Control damping system featuring independent high and low-speed compression damping, Floodgate adjustment, and Floodgate on/off switch
All control knobs are machined aluminum and featured detents
External rebound adjustment with detents
Maxle 360 QR thru-axle system for quick wheel changes and 360-degree lever position
Post mounts for direct 160mm mount. Accepts larger rotors with correct adapters.

Fork Travel: 115 - 160 mm
Spring: Coil
Color: Black
Brake Type: Disc
Front Axle Type: 20mm Thru
Front Hub Spacing: 110 mm
Wheel Size: 26"
Crown Race: 39.7
Weight: 5.4 lbs
Brake Usage F/R: Front
Disc Mount Type: 74mm Post Mount"

it comes in coil u-turn, solo air, and 2-step air.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
More info. The Rockshox guys told me time frame is also Oct.

Totem
The biggest news for RockShox is undoubtedly the Totem, the company's premiere freeride fork. This baby has all the bells and whistles. I got a few pix of it at Interbike last year, and since then it's been popping up all over the place. It's even spent testing time under the notorious Bicycle Rockers.

Each of the Totems boasts a maximum of 180mm of travel, 40mm stanchions with taper wall 7000 series aluminum, a forged AL 66-TV crown, 203mm post mounts, 1 1/8" or OnePointFive aluminum steerers, a Maxle 360 thru-axle, and Mission Control damping. They also use the Speed Lube system for changing the casting lube oil. Like the Lyrics, the main difference between the forks is in the spring.

The Totem 2-Step has 135-180mm of travel, weighs 6.3lbs for the OnePointFive steerer, and costs $1,150. The Solo Air Totem has 180mm of travel, weights 5.9lbs., and costs $1,060. The U-Turn version can crank from 135-180mm of travel, weighs 6.3lbs., and costs $995.

Colours for the forks are Galvanized and Black, and they come with a sticker kit if you feel like customizing your fork from week to week. The same deal applies for tire clearance - 2.7" is good to go. Axle-to-crown height is 565mm +/- 5mm at 180mm.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The one thing that kills it for me is the travel adj. on the 2 step. It is NOT 135 - 180, it is 135 OR 180. The travel is externally adjustable, it just wont lock at any lengths other that 135 or 180. Same with the Lyric 2 step, it is either 115 or 160. I just think that those jumps are too much!! No bike that is made for 180mm of travel will also ride well at 135mm, or vise versa.

Other than that major flaw, IMHO, the fork looks very nice (and expensive)!

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
odd you don't like the 2 step, its perfect for a pedal freeride bike, pop it into short travel for jumping and climbing and long travel for decending...and there are bikes out there that would be fine at the 2 settings. if i could have waited i might have tried to get a totem but at those prices my 66sl should be fine...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Travel adjust sucks for actualy riding IMO, i see 2 step as more of a way to make the same SKU work on 2 different bikes. Honestly, no matter how light it is, who is going to pedal a bike with a 7" travel fork uphill?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Travel adjust sucks for actualy riding IMO, i see 2 step as more of a way to make the same SKU work on 2 different bikes. Honestly, no matter how light it is, who is going to pedal a bike with a 7" travel fork uphill?
I know quite a lot of people who do just that. If you have to pedal up in order to get down. The Boxxer Ride I had was great for that; drop it down to a little over 5" to pedal up, and back up to 7" the rest of the time. On the fly while pedaling, no messing around with the shock pump to do it.

U-turn actually kicks ass as a travel adjust. Drop the fork down to the lower end, and all that travel is still useable, unlike the rock hard inch or so left that Marzocchi's ETA give you. Coil U-turn is great: set it to anywhere within the two extremes. The Pike Air's U-turn works very well too. I can see next years version of the air totems and Lyriks having that feature.

Cheap bastard that I am, I'm waiting on a Domain U-turn coil. Just can't stomach the cost of the Lyrik.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have a 66 170mm on my bike and I ride up some big hills all the time. EVERYONE that I ride with that is in to free ride/DH rides their long travel bike up mountians. OFTEN.

I have a 66 170mm on my bike and I ride up some big hills all the time. EVERYONE that I ride with that is in to free ride/DH rides their long travel bike up mountians. OFTEN.
Same here - we shuttle when we can, but it is not always an option. I like the idea of being able to adjust the Totem down to 135mm for DJ and for climbing and then knock it back out to 7 inches for the descent.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a Pike with 6" w/ U-Turn and I find the travel adjust to be pretty cool. Granted I don't adjust between 4.3" and 4.4" much, but I run it in 120mm almost all the time. I even did 2 smallish DH races with it in 120mm. However I ran it at 140mm at Snowshoe and Diablo. It was pretty cool. I'm sure there is a market and this thing will sell like crack.

eio

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
PNW
Honestly, no matter how light it is, who is going to pedal a bike with a 7" travel fork uphill?
East Coasters....... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Come out to the Pac NW...........very little shuttling here, so thats how we do it........pedal the big bike to the top.

Same thing on the Shore. The only shuttle-able mountain is Mt. Seymour, on all the other mtns. you have to hoof it.

There are tons of people here pedaling bikes with better than 7" of suspension to the trailheads.

Binaural

Chimp
Feb 19, 2006
Sydney Australia

Come out to the Pac NW...........very little shuttling here, so thats how we do it........pedal the big bike to the top.

Same thing on the Shore. The only shuttle-able mountain is Mt. Seymour, on all the other mtns. you have to hoof it.

There are tons of people here pedaling bikes with better than 7" of suspension to the trailheads.
Here in Australia I see lots of light DH bikes used for a bit of trail riding. A lot of tracks around Sydney (particularly in the north) are very rocky and don't have much elevation. Even if you don't ride back to the top a light bike is easier to push back up :)

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004

I take my downhill bike on XC rides all the time. However, if they ever make a shorter travel bike, front derailleur compatible, with DH geometry, I'd be all over it.

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA

Very little shuttled riding in the Northwest? You need to get out a little more. On the shore your forgetting about Cypress, every bit as shuttleable as Seymour. Other shuttleable places in the NW worth mentioning: Post Canyon, Glacier, Vedder, Squamish(or so i have heard, and hopefully will soon find out :) ), Cultus, Lots of shuttleable runs in Whistler and everywhere else in BC.

Anyway, kind of went off on a tangent, just had to set the record strait. I happen to pedal my bike up galbraith and fromme quite often on my 7point with a Boxxer team up front, though i may soon be replacing it with a Totem, which looks sick. There. Back on track :).

Teague

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I take my downhill bike on XC rides all the time. However, if they ever make a shorter travel bike, front derailleur compatible, with DH geometry, I'd be all over it.
Specialized SX Trail has the most "DH-like" geometry of the 150-170mm travel trailbikes I've seen. Long wheelbase, low center of gravity, slack head angle, and looks bad-a$$.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Specialized SX Trail has the most "DH-like" geometry of the 150-170mm travel trailbikes I've seen. Long wheelbase, low center of gravity, slack head angle, and looks bad-a$$.
You can always try to get hold of a Sinister Splinter which fits that bill very nicely. And, yes Mickey, lots of people pedal uphill with big bikes. I saw a few going up Seymour on Monday with full on DH oriented gear - fat tires and DC forks included. (I saw them from the window of my comfy shuttle van.:biggrin: )