Quantcast

Rockhopper Overhaul

May 8, 2007
My brother finally returned my Specialized Rockhopper FS, it has only been 5 years since I have seen it, and now the rear derailer is in a couple of pieces. Anybody have any suggestions for good value replacement parts? I'm not sure of the specifics of the parts, as the bike is almost 10 years old.

The entire drivetrain NEEDs to be replaced, the rear derailer says shimano STX on it. I also want to replace the front fork with something that is more rigid (currently Rock shocks indy "c").

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LX level drivetrain stuff is pretty good as far as value/performance goes. Replace the cassette, chain, r. der and cables at the very least. You may also want to consider replacing the front chain rings and the shifters as well.

If the fork has a 1 1/8" steerer, then you've got a lot of options. If it's a 1" steerer, then you've only got a couple (used is one, and last I knew Marz was still making a 1" steerer fork).

May 8, 2007
I checked the steerer fork & its a 1-1/8".

When I looked over the shimano site, I couldn't tell the difference between the rear derailers (Top-Normal design/Wide link design)?

Is there a good website to order all this stuff from (crankset, rear derailer, front derailer, cassette, chain, cables & steerer fork)? Could I get a package deal or do I buy piece by piece?

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
check with pricepoint.com and ebay. last year i got a Sram x.7 drive train (casset, cranks, chain, rear deralier and shifters) for $100.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i have that exact bike. it was my first real mtb. my girl has it now and its still rocking, though now with an assortment of leftover parts from being stripped and rebuilt a couple times.