Quantcast

RockShox Lyrik Coil U-Turn vs. Marz 55 ATA

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm wondering which fork to run on a Bottlerocket setup with a Fox DHX 5.0 coil rear, and which one to throw on a frame that will be sold. Both forks are used, in good shape, and either '07 or '08 models, not 100% sure. Bike is used mostly for mtb park/jumps/freeride, but also the occasional mild DH.

The RockShox is 115-160mm adjustable travel, while the Marz is 120-160mm, so not much difference there. As far as retail prices when they were new, and prices for the current models, the Lyrik is slightly more expensive. I remember reading about the 55 ATA having some issues too, but not sure what exactly was breaking on them? Don't know much about late-model RockShox suspensions, including the Lyrik.

So yeah, which one to keep, which one to sell, and why? Forgive me if there's an obvious answer...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Go with the Lyrik (assuming it is mission control) the adjustable travel is a great feature. Dial it down for jumping and climbing, dial it up for big hits and descending. If the lyrik is the same fork as I have (sounds like it) the gate valve is much more versatile than just regular old lockout.

Also Mission Control > ATA

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If you are an aggressive rider, the standard mission control is pretty weak. There is almost no low speed damping and it tends to brake and corner dive bad. I got rid of my Lyrik U-turn in favor of a solo-air Lyrik with the DH mission control and have been much, much happier!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
If you are an aggressive rider, the standard mission control is pretty weak. There is almost no low speed damping and it tends to brake and corner dive bad. I got rid of my Lyrik U-turn in favor of a solo-air Lyrik with the DH mission control and have been much, much happier!
This is true DH Mission Control > Mission Control > ATA

I run mine with the low speed turned 1 click from closed and with an extra hard spring to prevent dive.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Keep in ind you can always put the DH damper in the U-turn. I did and I haven't gotten to ride any real DH on it yet so I honestly can't tell too much of a difference, it still dives some even with low speed dampening maxed out. I feel like I should have used 7.5wt oil instead of 5 when I rebuilt it.

Jul 6, 2010
Near Philly
My mistake, the Marz is actually a 66 ATA. Does that make a difference?
Not a big difference no. I actually have the fox dhs 5.0 coil in the rear with the front forks as Marzocchi Bombers. the DHS is a very good choice for what you want to do...as for the front id go with the Marz. Personal opinion: better response, sturdy, less flex, more versatile

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I'd go with the lyric based on the chassis alone (even though the damping is probably much better than the zocchi). Lyric will weigh less than the 66 and be a better fit for the bottlerocket IMO.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Flex? I have the Lyrik solo air DH on my Reign X. I have been beating on it at Diablo, riding everything I would on my Glory with boxxer team. I haven't noticed any flex for it to be a problem. I love the fork more so then my 66Rc3x I had on my 07 sxt. The 66 was just about as heavy if not heavier then my Boxxer, there is a noticeable difference between air and coil, but it is worth the weight difference. I find the DHX air I have on the rear to be more of a problem.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
having owned a Banshee Wildcard (same class of bike as the TR Bottlerocket) I'd go with the Lyric Coil U-Turn

its a solid performer, easy to setup, super reliable, very easy to strip down at home and rebuild and the U-Turn gives very fine (2.5mm per click) travel adjustment which means fine geometry adjustment to find the "sweetspot" for your BR!

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Lyrik>55 hands down, after having ridden a 36 Talas, 55 ATA, and a Lyrik DH(yeah yeah, the mission control compression shims are different than the standard, but it ain't hard to re-shim or replace with the mission control dh)

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Lyrik>55 hands down, after having ridden a 36 Talas, 55 ATA, and a Lyrik DH(yeah yeah, the mission control compression shims are different than the standard, but it ain't hard to re-shim or replace with the mission control dh)
There is a how to on pink bike to change the regular mission control over to mission control DH. It is a 10min job