Quantcast

RockShox Vivid Air R2C Rear Shock vs Cane Creek DB Air

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Now that the season is about over I am thinking about trying a rear air shock for next year. I have a 2011 Giant Glory frame and am seeking input from riders who have tried both shocks. Whats the scoop? Which is the better shock and why?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
One, important thing... as far as I know, there is no DB Air which would fit current Glory w/o custom made bushing...
Or maybe I am wrong? Malcolm? Any insider?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I would throw the X-fusion Vector Air HLR in the ring as well. Haven't ridden one myself but know a few guys who love theirs.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
I think that it comes down to what shock type works best with your frame. People say that the vivid is more linear, the CCDBA more progressive.

manuel19911

Chimp
Oct 27, 2012
Lugo, Spain
I think that it comes down to what shock type works best with your frame. People say that the vivid is more linear, the CCDBA more progressive.
but you can change progresivity with preload rings in air chamber, i think
somebody know where can i buy a vivid air or ccdb air cheap? in europe the most cheap is 587 and low tune, i need a 240x70 and tune high (i think)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I love my Vivid Air until it starts leaking. If you've owned a Fox air shock you know that the main air seal and wiper need to be replaced about once a year when it starts gradually losing pressure. This is a simple job on most air shocks but on the Vivid the damper body must be disassembled to change these seals. That seems like a major flaw. Can the CCBD's main air seal be changed without doing a full damper overhaul?

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
@Leland, I need more info on this. Is the leak like gradual, aka needing to check air pressure every ride (I know this SHOULD be done before every ride)? And does the 2012 model have this issue as well. Just curious coz Ive only had my VAir for 2 mos...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I love my Vivid Air until it starts leaking. If you've owned a Fox air shock you know that the main air seal and wiper need to be replaced about once a year when it starts gradually losing pressure. This is a simple job on most air shocks but on the Vivid the damper body must be disassembled to change these seals. That seems like a major flaw. Can the CCBD's main air seal be changed without doing a full damper overhaul?
I had heard of these issues; do you know perchance if it was addressed for the '13 model? I just got one in an 'emergency' (my PUSH'd Vivid coil popped and spewed, and I needed something, and it was a deal and RIGHT NOW)

It rides nice, hope it doesnt act silly. Good thing I have a lot of 'wrenches' I suppose.

I also have a lot of ''s

Last edited:

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
No experience with CCDBair but love my vivid air, 3 seasons, zero issues, no servicing, easily tunable

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I had a 2011 Vivid Air. It started out not leaking at all, then gradually developed a slight leak that slowly got bad enough to lose 40psi in a run. No problem I figured, every Fox air ahock I've had has eventually needed a fresh main seal and wiper. I ordered a seal kit but when I took it apart I found only the seals between the + & - chambers were easily replaceable and that's what was in my seal kit. I couldn't even find a main seal kit and to change those the damper shaft and seal head would have to be removed. I called Rockshox saying I didn't feel like rebuilding my damper to change the air can's seals and I didn't even have the right replacement seals. He checked my serial # and told me to send it in. They sent me a brand new shock which is nice of them but I wonder if it will also eventually need a new main seal. Every other air shock I've seen wears out its wiper and starts leaking after a year or two. It should be a simple repair but their design makes it overly complicated. I don't know if something was changed after 2011 to make them go longer before leaking, though I suspect that's the case and the reason they gave me a new shock. However, I consider this a major hang up as I'd like to be able to change air can seals without having to take apart, reassemble, and bleed the damper.

Does the CCDB allow its air can main seal to slide off the damper body?

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
That must be the difference b/t their seals and Push seals. I've never had an air shock that leaked, but all mine have been Pushed...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
That must be the difference b/t their seals and Push seals. I've never had an air shock that leaked, but all mine have been Pushed...
Similar experience. The only air shock that I ever had an issue with was my Cane Creek AD-8 back in 97. It used air for damping as well and blew on a regular basis.

But the seals were fine, no leaking!

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Well hopefully this new Vivid never needs fresh seals. Come to think of it my more recent Fox shocks have gone a couple years without needing seals. I guess it was more the early & mid 2000s when we replaced a lot of main seals and wipers for customers. Here's to progress!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Not to derail the thread somewhat, but does anyone know if the CCDB Air volume spacers can be retrofitted to the Vivid Air? Mine is painfully linear, and would love to sort it out!
The complete Vivid Air rebuild kit comes with the spacers....

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I had a 2011 Vivid Air. It started out not leaking at all, then gradually developed a slight leak that slowly got bad enough to lose 40psi in a run. No problem I figured, every Fox air ahock I've had has eventually needed a fresh main seal and wiper. I ordered a seal kit but when I took it apart I found only the seals between the + & - chambers were easily replaceable and that's what was in my seal kit. I couldn't even find a main seal kit and to change those the damper shaft and seal head would have to be removed. I called Rockshox saying I didn't feel like rebuilding my damper to change the air can's seals and I didn't even have the right replacement seals. He checked my serial # and told me to send it in. They sent me a brand new shock which is nice of them but I wonder if it will also eventually need a new main seal. Every other air shock I've seen wears out its wiper and starts leaking after a year or two. It should be a simple repair but their design makes it overly complicated. I don't know if something was changed after 2011 to make them go longer before leaking, though I suspect that's the case and the reason they gave me a new shock. However, I consider this a major hang up as I'd like to be able to change air can seals without having to take apart, reassemble, and bleed the damper.

Does the CCDB allow its air can main seal to slide off the damper body?
Yeah, the CCDB seals can all be changed without pulling the damper apart.