Quantcast

Rocky Mountain Gravity Event Calendar

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Rocky Mountain Gravity Racing Calendar

The East Coast Unity gang have a pretty good idea, so for those of you that are interested, here’s a quick look at what’s going on in the Rocky Mountain Region. I’d like to keep a comprehensive calendar going, so feel free to send me additions/updates/corrections. MSC's Crankworx and G3's alone add up to $86,000 - and that's without the last G3 date being thrown in. Rocky Mountain promoters - send me your info and I'll update this calendar as it comes in.

MM

NOTE: updated May 5, 2007 12:19am

May 12-13, Mountain States Cup #1: The Chalk Creek Stampede
DISCIPLINES: MX, DS (XC, STXC also)
PURSE: $4000 cash + merchandise
WEB/CONTACT: www.racemsc.com

May 13 -- Lava Rama
DISCIPLINES: DH and Dual Trials - round 1 of the Utah State Championship DH Series
WEB/CONTACT: www.wildrockies.com

May 26-28, Mountain States Cup #2: The Chile Challenge (Gravity NMBS)
DISCIPLINES: DH, MX, SD (XC, STXC also)
PURSE: $8000 cash + merchandise

June 3 -- Bountiful Bomber
DISCIPLINES: Downhill

June 15-17, 2007 -- Deer Valley NMBS
DISCIPLINES: DH, Dual Slalom, Super D

June 23-24, Mountain States Cup #3: The Wildflower Rush
DISCIPLINES: DH, SD (XC, STXC also)
PURSE: $4000 cash + merchandise

June 30-July 1, Rocky Mountain G3 Series, Race #1: Keystone
DISCIPLINES: DH, DH, SD
PURSE: $10,000 cash + merchandise
WEB/CONTACT: mikemac@bigfootproduction.com

June 31-July 1 -- Bald Mountain Challenge
DISCIPLINES: Downhill and Super D

July 5-7, Crankwerx (CO)
DISCIPLINES: SD, Air D, Big Air, Slopestyle (XC also)
PURSE: $30,000 cash
WEB/CONTACT: www.crankworxcolorado.com

July 14-15, Mountain States Cup #4: Blast the Mass (Colorado State Championships)
DISCIPLINES: DH, MX, SD (XC and Roostmaster also)
PURSE: $6000 cash + merchandise

July 14-15 -- Flyin' Brian

July 28-29, Mountain States Cup #5: Full Tilt in Telluride
DISCIPLINES: DH, SD (XC and HC also)
PURSE: $6000 cash + merchandise

August 4-5 -- Pomerelle Pounder, Idaho
DISCIPLINES: 2-day Downhill that is part of the Utah State Championship DH Series
Info at www.wildrockies.com

Aug 9-12, NMBS Finals
DISCIPLINES: DH, SD, MX (XC and STXC also)
PURSE: TBD

Aug 31-Sep 3, Mountain States Cup #7: The Keystone Climax
DISCIPLINES: DH, DS, SD (XC and STXC also)
PURSE: $8000 cash + merchandise

September 2-3 -- Sundance Showdown

October 4-7, Rocky Mountain G3 Series, Race #3: Angel Fire
DISCIPLINES: DH, DH, SD
PURSE: $10,000 cash + merchandise
WEB/CONTACT: mikemac@bigfootproduction.com

OTHER NOTABLE GRAVITY EVENTS- Rocky Mountain G3 Series Race #2, location and date TBD
- Weeknight DH Series at Keystone (details coming soon, contact mikemac@bigfootproduction.com for more info)
- Cap’n Carhartt’s Mega-D, Moab, UT. Date TBD

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Here's the current Utah Downhill Series schedule for 2007:

May 13 -- Lava Rama
DISCIPLINES: DH and Dual Trials - round 1 of the Utah State Championship DH Series

June 3 -- Bountiful Bomber
DISCIPLINES: Downhill

June 31-July 1 -- Bald Mountain Challenge

July 14-15 -- Flyin' Brian

August 4-5 -- Pomerelle Pounder, Idaho
DISCIPLINES: 2-day Downhill that is part of the Utah State Championship DH Series

September 2-3 -- Sundance Showdown

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
And let's not forget:

June 15-17, 2007 -- Deer Valley NMBS
DISCIPLINES: DH, Dual Slalom, Super D

Anyone know if an NMBS is still happening in Brianhead?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sure, someone compile a complete list of all the races and actually take care of it a la SKX IH thread, and I'll sticky it.

I am not gonna sticky just CO/Mtn States races, because eventually we end up with 14 stickies from all of the promoters and areas.

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Sure, someone compile a complete list of all the races and actually take care of it a la SKX IH thread, and I'll sticky it.

I am not gonna sticky just CO/Mtn States races, because eventually we end up with 14 stickies from all of the promoters and areas.
Transcend - I'll solicit event info from other Rocky Mountain promoters and then maintain the schedule. Each promoter will have to take responsibility for replying to queries specific to their events tho'.

Is that enough to warrant a sticky?

MM

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
What's the word on the weeknight dh races, that sounds sick!
Don't know a ton yet, still looking for final approval from Keystone, but what we have in mind is a Wednesday or Thursday night race series composed of 4-6 events throughout the summer months, probably July and August. We'll keep the entry fees as low as possible ($15/20 tops) and the prize purse will probably reflect that as well.

Think of them as practice races for both you and us. We have a new timing system that we're trying to develop into a tool that can be used for comparative analysis by athletes. Our goal is to provide splits on course that will show you:
- how fast you were through a section
- what place you are compared to your category at each split
- where you stand compared to the rest of the field at each split

With this system we'll also be able to host 'training days' and time your runs (hopefully with splits) all day long.

The weeknight series is also a great way to introduce new athletes to the sport in a slightly less intimidating way than at an MSC or an NMBS. We've already seen that model have great success locally in the XC community and it makes all the sense in the world that we should expect the same results on the gravity side. If we're successful in terms of outreach to new riders at the grassroots level then we can expect more and more kids to not only pick it up, but to stick with it. 10 years down the road that means more podiums for North Americans and as a race fan I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and dig that ditch for a decade if that's what it takes.

The weeknight series is also an opportunity to get together with your bros, race, talk a little smack and drink a few beers. That might be a good enough reason right there...

Stay tuned for more details. I'll update as they become available.

MM

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
Very cool Mike! I know you guys have put a ton of effort (and time) into getting the timing up and running. This sounds like a GREAT series, and would be a huge for developmental training. Thanks! Scott

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Is Final Decent happening this year and if so, are the Sept 25 - 26 dates I found on Angel Fire's site correct? Mid-week? ....the week of IB. : (

I hope it's not conflicting with Interspike...nor happening the w/e before the spike because I'll be at Budds Creek for some MX d Nations goodness. I want it all dammit! Cake, frosting, the whole kit and caboodle.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Yipee! We will be there.

Unfortunately it's not looking good for CB but the fat lady hasn't sung yet so we shall see. Keystone the following week, yes. Can't wait to check that place out. You going to that one FT?

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
Anyone know what the super-d for the keystone G3 is gonna be like?
Fast as hell. Kind of DH-lite. Not ballsy enough to really be called a true DH, but no uphills/flat sections to speak of. Mass starts like Super-D tho'.

MM

son of simon

Chimp
Jul 30, 2007
Is the Pro/Expert course the same as the Beginner course? Thinking of hitting the Keystone Climax for my first DH race. I just picked up my first full suspension bike, so I might as well break it in practicing for a race. Any idea on what runs the course would be set up on?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
In the past it's been Cowboy Up > Motorhead > Paid In Full > Wild Thing sort of action, for all classes beginners through pros.

son of simon

Chimp
Jul 30, 2007
Cool, thanks Full Trucker. I didnt hit those runs up yesterday since I was riding with a friend who is a beginner on a XC bike.

May 30, 2005
A$$pen
At least we don't have to ride Paid in Full. That trail needs some work. The other day I rode it and hit that first metal grate at full speed. The damn thing was at a 45 degree angle. I bottomed my fork and went sailing off the other side...

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
The Colorado School of Mines Cycling Team is hosting the Oredigger MTB Challenge @ SolVista on September 15 and 16, 2007. Events include XC, STXC, and Downhill.

While this is primarily a collegiate event, we will have Open classes for DH and XC.

The lift is FREE and entry is only $20. All event entry fees for Open categories will be pooled and awarded in cash as follows: 75% Payback for Open categories (DH and XC): 1st - 35%, 2nd - 25%, 3rd - 15%

Race details: http://www.CSMcycling.com

Bring your buddies and enjoy a nice wrap up to your race season at a great resort :thumb:

edit: After closing their lifts labor day weekend for public use, this is your FINAL CHANCE to get some riding in at SolVista. The lift will be open to racers and spectators during the event.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Open class at SolVista - $20 entry and 75% payback!​

Oh, and need I mention the High Speed Contest?!? That's right, we've got a radar gun and we're actually asking you to go as fast as possible on the DH! During your race run, your speed will be recorded at the last road crossing (after the big 'ski jump') on trail #2. The day's fastest rider will receive a donation of $100. Simple. :cheers:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Thank you racers!

We hope you enjoyed this past weekend's event. SolVista proved to be a great venue for stop #2 in the Rocky Mountain Collegiate Series. As always, we're open to suggestions for improvements to the event for next year. Please send feedback to: bturman[at]mines.edu

Congrats to our winners!
Open DH - Todd Olsen ($270 prize!)
Open XC - Jason Soyer ($100)
Men A DH - Matt Fisher
Men A XC - Colin Cares
Men A ST - Brian Alders
Collegiate Single Slalom - Brian Buell
High Speed was 37mph and a 5-way tie!

FULL RESULTS AVAILABLE HERE

See you at the Ft. Lewis event,

Brandon Turman
CSM Cycling President