Quantcast

ROCO,DHX 5.0 or Swinger 6way??

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Alright thanks to those who helped me in my other thread ive decided which bike to get!

Its going to be a Gran Mal with an 888RC2X!!
Its going to be used as for DH racing about 60% of the time and FR the other 40%.
Also im 6' 211lbs.
So what im wondering is should i get the ROCO,DHX or Swinger 6way?

Thank You,
TBC

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Roco if you want it to be plush as possible, and if you tend to blow shocks cuz you can rebuild it yourself without sending it off for a month. DHX if your going to actually pedal it a good deal of the time. Swinger..... don't get the Swinger.

Teague

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Uh, you want the DHX. It's very adjustable, Fox goes to way more races than Marzocchi so getting a free rebuild is a lot easier, and it's lighter. You can tune the Propedal in and out. You will not notice any differences in plushness, nor would I, it's all just internet hype. Go for the DHX, it's also not a young product, it's been out for a while now, and most of the bugs are worked out.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bikenweed said:
You will not notice any differences in plushness, nor would I, it's all just internet hype.
The DHX is not the end all of mtb shocks. There are definite improvements to be had.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

I didn't think he was saying the DHX is the best shock in the universe...Just mainly saying it's better than the other 2, in his opinion...

Besides, everybody knows the best shock in the universe is an custom painted Rootbeer Avy with a carbon spring that has speed holes drilled in it... :rolleyes:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I must side with Teaguers on the ROCO especialy if your running the 888 in the front. Ive tried all three and the ROCO will be staying on my Demo 9. Super easy to set up, easy to maintain. Feels like a well tuned 888 on the back of your bike. Super active on the small stuff, progressive, jumps better than the other two, takes big hits better. About the pedaling part, while it doesn't pedal like a platform shock it does pedal way better than the old Fox RC and in my experience pedals better over rocks and roots at speed better than any of the platform shocks. I use both platform and clipless pedals and the ROCO feels fine with either pedal type.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Go for the DHX. I was blown away when I just replaced my Swinger on my Demo 8. Do it. Plush, good pedaling, super adjustable, really light, and just better in every other way. Plus I got a brand new 4.0 for $220. Thanks blue! ;)

Or if you don't want to be able to pedal get a ROCO. Not my style though.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Bicyclist said:
Go for the DHX. I was blown away when I just replaced my Swinger on my Demo 8. Do it. Plush, good pedaling, super adjustable, really light, and just better in every other way. Plus I got a brand new 4.0 for $220. Thanks blue! ;)

With the correct spring and setup the ROCO pedals fine on Demo8s and 9s. :thumb: :evil:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Bicyclist said:
Or if you don't want to be able to pedal get a ROCO.
wait a sec G. the shock is only part of the equation in your ability to pedal. frame linkage plays a part here too. agreed that a roco on a low-single-pivot will probably bob like my neighbor's mom. however, a clever linkage design that accomodates for pedal forces removes the burden of a pedal platform forom the shoulders of the shock. now, this is all theory as i have not ridden any of the items discussed above.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
Come on Mark, have you tried a Roco? Didn't think so:rofl:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
if you want big hit plush get the roco. don't listen to this next generation crap. it's a freakin shock not a quantum physics calculator......from a company who knows a thing or two about suspension. It's not full of "new technology" and proprietary suspension monkeys. it's some oil some seals and some air. i think Marz has it covered.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I've ridden all three. The Roco feels like you have better suspension. You CAN feel a difference in plushness, no e-hype. And it pedals just fine.

The DHX with the Propedal all the way up pedals a lot better, but you lose a lot of small-bump sensitivity and performance from the rear end. That being said, nobody I know runs their DHX with the Propedal all the way up.

My advice? Go ride them both. If you can't decide, get the DHX. Why? It costs more, so you'll be able to resell it easier and buy the Roco.

I don't know why everyone hates the Swingers, I personally like them. They're plush compared to a 5th, but still pedal great and are super progressive. And Manitou's CS is top-knotch.

ghandi

Chimp
Mar 28, 2006
cupertino, ca
go with the dhx ive got a dhx with a ti coil and its super plush and adjustable. My friend has a rocco on his gran mal and it feels like crap. Whatever you do, dont get a manitou or progessive

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks everyone!
It seems alot of people dislike the swinger so ill count that but it looks like a tie for the DHX and ROCO!

Hmmm... what to do.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get the DHX. Way more versatile. Dial up the ProPedal for climbing (but it's still not harsh) and then get rid of it if you want plush for DH. The adjustments all work well, and it's a lot lighter due to the aluminum shaft.

TBC

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Bicyclist said:
Get the DHX. Way more versatile. Dial up the ProPedal for climbing (but it's still not harsh) and then get rid of it if you want plush for DH. The adjustments all work well, and it's a lot lighter due to the aluminum shaft.
Good point!
Thanks that sold me!
Because this bike will be my FR bike to and i may have to do some uphill pedaling i didnt realize the ROCO was a non platfrom shock(right)!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bicyclist said:
Get the DHX. Way more versatile. Dial up the ProPedal for climbing (but it's still not harsh)
No, it's definitely harsh when you up the propedal "for climbing".

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Jm_ said:
No, it's definitely harsh when you up the propedal "for climbing".
Um, I'm gonna have to say it's nothing compared to SPV (even at min. platform), which is what I came from.

rodrigodh

Chimp
Mar 12, 2005
if your going DH get the rocco , i try one out last month and its the best choise for me, i only rode it on dh so can't tell how would it pedal uphill, but on speed flats it pedals good.