Quantcast

ROCO Question

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I am looking to get a new shock for my Specialized Demo 8, and I'm wondering if the ROCO would work out of the box or if I'd need spacers/adapters.

Also, is it correct that the shock doesn't include a spring? If so, will a Manitou spring work. I think that's the case I just want to double check.

Thanks a lot.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I'm not the expert on this, but I think that when they say it doesn't include a spring, they mean they want you to specify the weight spring you desire and then order it also at the same time. The same thing goes for the mounting spacers.

The Rocco we have here has a dark grey Marzocchi spring on it.

J

JRB

I thought you wanted to know about me, when I realized you were talking about a Rocco shock. I think I saw the same thing that Twisted is saying when I was looking at shocks. It may be worth pm'ing that Brian P guy, or calling Marzocchi sales to be sure. Actually, I guess Go-Ride or Universal or someone would know too.

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
there is a thread on here bout a roco and demo 9 I believe, should be some info there, pretty sure manitou and 5th springs fit as well

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
It looks like Go-Ride sells them both with a spring/reducers and without. I may have to give them a call tomorrow, too, to get some more info.

toby

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Rocco does indeed come with a grey steel spring. Your Manitou spring will fit as well. I am using the Titanium one off of my 4 way on mine. You will need to get the proper spacers and such to get it to fit your Demo 8 however. The eyelet on the bearing end of the shock mount is a custom oem size on the Swinger 4-way. Call Chris at Go-Ride and he will set you up. Check this link out on MTBR as it has some pics of my Demo 8 with the Rocco mounted on it. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159756

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
ekripper said:
The Rocco does indeed come with a grey steel spring. Your Manitou spring will fit as well. I am using the Titanium one off of my 4 way on mine. You will need to get the proper spacers and such to get it to fit your Demo 8 however. The eyelet on the bearing end of the shock mount is a custom oem size on the Swinger 4-way. Call Chris at Go-Ride and he will set you up. Check this link out on MTBR as it has some pics of my Demo 8 with the Rocco mounted on it. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=159756

holy sh!t your bike is amazing, everybody look at this demo, pimp as hell:drool:

Sep 10, 2001
If your frame has a Fox or a 5th, the bushings came with it will fit the ROCO.. As for springs, you can order with or without... Let your shop know when ordering... As I understand it the Manitou springs are a little smaller ID and can rub on the shock body....

Brian

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's got a Manipoo, does that fit in the category of the 5th Element? If so I'll take the bushings off. What's retail w/ no spring, ti spring, and steel spring on a ROCO? Thanks for all the help so far!

Sep 10, 2001
Manitou uses a different sized shock eyelet from what I hear...

MSRP w/ spring, $399
MSRP w/o spring, $349, I think... Don't have a price list here at home..

We don't offer a Ti spring...

Brian

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow, that's really affordable. Especially compared to the CC DB, which is the only other thing I would consider @ $650 ish w/ a steel spring.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
This the other DEMO thread that was mentioned earlier ..... http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1954280#post1954280
If you haven't read the thread, do read it. Lots of dialogue about hardware. Don't be discouraged because of the availability issues (and lack of knowledge of) surrounding the appropriate hardware to convert from the Manitou to the Roco. There are solutions in that thread. I run a 450 lb. RCS Ti spring on mine and the effort to mount the Roco on my Demo was worth any frustration I went through. This shock eats terrain that other shocks cannot smooth out. While it is more active and initialy feels like it is undersprung most of that goes away with some ride time. With my Swinger it often felt like it woud just blow right through the travel on big squar edge type of hit yet still was not supple enough across the small to medium stuff and very dead feeling on jumps or anything I wanted to get lift off of. The Roco leaves just enough terrain feel to tell what the limits of traction is while leaned over and enough ramp up to bunny hope effeciently when needed something that a 5th or swinger doesn't do well. Rebound controle is very good and easy to get dialed in. I feel this shock handles g-outs better and the bottom out control feels as good as a well tuned 888. I have heard this shock was designed to feel very much like a 888 on the back of your bike when set up correctly. Well if it truely was designed with that in mind or not I don't know, but I will say this, that is what it feels like on my Demo 9. Rocks and roots have now become the smooth part of a DH course for my bike I think. Do it...:thumb: :thumb: :evil:

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
For the price I'm seriously considering saying goodbye to the 5th element on my 7 point and swapping it for the Roco and if it's as servicable as they say I'm all over it. Thing is no one has bitten the bullet and tried fitting one yet. What's the weight comparison for a Roco vs 5th?

Sep 10, 2001
Actually, I just saw a 7point7 get fitted with a ROCO the other day...

As for weight, I am sure the ROCO is a little heavier due to the steel body and shaft.. But unless you are a total weight weenie, you won't notice it on the bike. And if you are a weight weenie, you would probably only see the difference on your gram scale...

Brian

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
Brian Peterson said:
Brian
You have any more details on this?
Any 'grinding' involved?
Hardware?

Sep 10, 2001
There was no grinding to my knowledge... Looking at the pics of the 7point there is a lot more room than a Sunday. With the DHX coming stock, all the hardware will switch over.

Brian

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'd be swapping a 5th in for the Roco, I'd probably come up with some cash for a ti spring at somepoint anyway so the weight isn't an issue. Does the 5th hardware fit the Roco?

Sep 10, 2001
ThePriceSeliger said:
Brian, is there any issue on fitting a Roco with a Ti spring on a Ventana El Cuervo? My cell is dead and can't get a hold of go-ride so I thought you might have heard something.
Not to my knowledge... Scott didn't mention any mounting issues to me... Maybe shoot them an email...

Brian

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
jake133 said:
and you have a demo 8, i feel so bad for you.

OK. First of all I bought it myself, second of all it was cheap and used, third of all I'm strapped for cash right now and fourth I didn't ask for compassion.

solar

Chimp
Jun 21, 2004
in the trees said:
This is great news for 7point owners. Thanks, Brian. I gotta get an order together now.

toby
Keep us updated.
With this news, it looks like I'll be ordering one late March:drool:

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Now shall I bother sending the 5th off for a rebuild or just get the Roco? Or both and have a spare shock? (Though with the Roco I doubt that I'll need it).

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
jon-boy said:
Now shall I bother sending the 5th off for a rebuild or just get the Roco? Or both and have a spare shock? (Though with the Roco I doubt that I'll need it).
Down time in the peak of the season is bad, so a spare is a good thing to have on hand. I know the Roco is easy to work on but just in case you don't have replacement seals stocked a fresh spare shock is a good thing. If you have a platform type shock for a spare that may be a good thing if you hit a mostly smooth pedal course during the season. I know when it comes time to sell my Demo 9 the swinger will be going back on it, unless there is a far superior shock available at that time I see no good reason to part with my Roco. It will go on my next frame if it fits, if it doesn't fit that may be a decision point on my next frame acquisition.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Okay I'm trying to buy one from Marzocchi Canada right now and the damned fools won't pick up the phone! I'll do it right now if the price is right and they have one.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
jon-boy said:
Okay I'm trying to buy one from Marzocchi Canada right now and the damned fools won't pick up the phone! I'll do it right now if the price is right and they have one.
FYI - I called Go-Ride today to check on their availability in this size (9x2.75). They didn't have them in stock, but could get them in a few days from the distributor (as well as the appropriate Marzocchi springs). I'm gonna try to make a decision on this over the weekend, too.

toby

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Well I'm going to get one, from where ever I can get one quickest. Right now it might be easier, quicker and cheaper to get it from Go-Ride.

rideitall

Chimp
Feb 2, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Brian Peterson said:

As for weight, I am sure the ROCO is a little heavier due to the steel body and shaft.. But unless you are a total weight weenie, you won't notice it on the bike. And if you are a weight weenie, you would probably only see the difference on your gram scale...

Brian
Roco on 7 Point

I just got a Roco on my 7 Point, nothing special required in the install. Had to mount the shock reverse of how the 5th Element was mounted. I removed the spring and cycled through the entire stock with no contact issues with the frame.

I need some advise on setup. I can set the sag, rebound and compression, what is the advise on the air camber ???

I am about 185 - 190 with gear on and have the stock 450lb spring?

Anybody got some time on a Roco that can advise.

Here are a couple of updated shots.

thx
Jeff

Attachments