Quantcast

ROCO Shock?

jbro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2007
How do i decipher the codes on the springs?

How much difference would a thicker oil make?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Regardless of company (and use, bicycle or other), springs are almost always labeled "Rate" x "Stroke". This means the first number is the weight/rate/k of the spring, typically measured in lbs/in. The second measurement is what stroke the spring is capable of. This is usually measured in inches and occasionally millimeters. For the most part, you'll just want to mess with the spring weight on your shock, not the oil weight. If the shock feels too soft, go to a higher spring rate; if it's too stiff, go to a lighter spring rate. It's best to stick with the manufacturer's recommended stock oil weight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I found that with the roco, you need to use pretty much the lightest weight possible (2.5wt). Anything heavier will make your shock into molasses (that is, it will be verrrrryyyyy sloooooowwww).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I found that with the roco, you need to use pretty much the lightest weight possible (2.5wt). Anything heavier will make your shock into molasses (that is, it will be verrrrryyyyy sloooooowwww).
For what it's worth, I tried 2.5wt and thought it was too light. I'm back to the stock 5wt.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
stock roco oil is 2.5wt pro circuit
Marzocchi made this powerpoint on rebuilding the Roco. It clearly says 5wt, though it dosn't specify brand. It does, however, show the rebuild being done with Marz. branded oil, which is GS IIRC. Color checks out there too.

On the other hand, when I took mine apart for the first time, it had red oil in it. GS isn't red.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
funny, cause when i talked to techs at marzocchi they said they use the 2.5 wt pro circuit oil
And that powerpoint, which was put together by one of the techs says 5wt. I don't think even Marz knows WTF is going on.

I maintain that mine feels the same as it did out of the box with 5wt Golden Spectro.