Quantcast

Rogue Santa's Private Reserve (and other discoveries)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

this stuff is tasty!

much better than the Rogue Festival ale (although it's a very different style, being a belgian). speaking of which, i had a nice La Chouffe @ redbones last thursday, along w/ a two brothers imperial stout.

anyone else sample some new-to-them beers over the break?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
narlus said:
anyone else sample some new-to-them beers over the break?
I had my first beer in over a month today at lunch after riding - a Harpoon IPA. Hardly new, but still good. I've been on a wine quest lately - trying to find the best of the Australian and South American red's.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yeah, the Rogue Santa's is really good. One of my favorites from them.

I did have a Trader Joe's 2005 vintage ale. Brewed by Unibroue, and 4.99 for a 750ml bottle. Pretty good...I have to try it blind next to Trois Pistoles, they are very close. Could be the same beer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
berkshire_rider said:
I had my first beer in over a month today at lunch after riding - a Harpoon IPA. Hardly new, but still good. I've been on a wine quest lately - trying to find the best of the Australian and South American red's.
for a good aussie, i'm a big fan of the Wolf Blass stuff. very good quality, but a very good price point too.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I had a giant bottle of Sunflower IPA from McMennamins. 6.58% alcohol. Just a little background on IPA: In the 1790s, English sailors needed an ale that could withstand the long sea voyage to the colonies in Asia. Knowing that alcohol and hops are natural preservatives, English brewers developed these strong, highly hopped ales known as India Pale Ales.

YUM

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Heidi said:
I had a giant bottle of Sunflower IPA from McMennamins. 6.58% alcohol. Just a little background on IPA: In the 1790s, English sailors needed an ale that could withstand the long sea voyage to the colonies in Asia. Knowing that alcohol and hops are natural preservatives, English brewers developed these strong, highly hopped ales known as India Pale Ales.

YUM
There are two very different kinds though. The original British IPAs and the West Coast IPAs. Make sure you know which one you want...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Silver said:
There are two very different kinds though. The original British IPAs and the West Coast IPAs. Make sure you know which one you want...
Definitely, I love the Brit IPAs, but find most of the West coast stuff to be way too hoppy for my tastes.

Also, a lot of the English and Irish beers marked "Export" follow the same preservative logic as Heidi's post...more hops, higher ABV%.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
So you guy's saw the History channel special on breweries too, huh?

If you're ever neer Arcata/Eureka, make sure to stop at Six Rivers Brewery in Mckinleyville. The Six Rivers IPA is the best I have had, and not too hoppy either!

Where in the OC can I get the santa beer?