Quantcast

Rohlf And Bighits>?

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
recently my deralur and bike weight have been annoying me mostly because i dont feel like paying 70 bucks for a xt every time a rock hits it... so is it possible to addapt a rohlf hub to my specialized bit hit (not demo 9).. thanks :monkey: 's

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
yeah, but change tensioners are small and dont cost allot of money, and the speedhub has stand still shifting and a huge range of gears.:cool: so its the same width as a normal hub then... :confused: i thought it was a little wider.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by mack
recently my deralur and bike weight have been annoying me
If you're concerned about weight, Rohloff hubs won't fix that. As far and the derailleur goes, the Rohloff tensioner is a lot stronger but you don't want to break it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you are concerned about weight, i wouldnt get a rohloff. It weighs more then a hub/cassette/derrailleur setup.

And it is the same size as a normal hub, or else it wouldn't fit between your dropouts.

Just get deore derrailleurs.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by vitox
PM stiff, he has a rohloff on a bighit.
Over the past eh....5 months or so, I think Stiff has had about 10x more problems with his Rohloff/tensioner/shifterbox than I've had with my 105 derailleurs. He loves it, but honestly, I don't think it's any less of a pain in the ass than busting a $32 derailleur every other month.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
You can't do it, if it is a 12mm thru axle. I have one with a regular qr axle and love it. It is a lb. heavier than a regular derailler set up and $900.00 more. So the choice is yours.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Originally posted by DßR
Over the past eh....5 months or so, I think Stiff has had about 10x more problems with his Rohloff/tensioner/shifterbox than I've had with my 105 derailleurs. He loves it, but honestly, I don't think it's any less of a pain in the ass than busting a $32 derailleur every other month.

yea that shift thing dangling out back on a 24" bike might not be the best combo

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Originally posted by DßR
Like DßR said, 105's are fairly cheap. ( $38 at jensonusa) and the short cage helps alot if you bash derallieurs. I used too, got a 105, and haven't since. (This may be because I havent ridden in like a week :() Deores are also good, and are really cheap ( around $20). If you have the cash and want to spring for the Rohloff, I would say go for it; but you might wanna check with Stiff, etc. who have actually run one because I have only heard good things about them.

B

bighitfsr

Road derailers didnt work out for me.
Yes they are more out of the way and dont get hit as often.
The problem is they are weak as.
One tap on a rock and a road derailer is toasted (105, ultegra short cage are what I've used).

105/Ultegra lasted me 3 months each.
My XTR-RD-M952-GS (med cage) is on its last legs after 12 months. Follow my XTR/dura-ace hybrid thread as this might be the ultimate solution to your problem.

FYI I also ride a bighit and yes the 24 inch wheel makes the derailer more susceptable to impacts.

Also frankford bike have XTR m952 derailers for $75 each.
IMO they will hold up significantly better than 105 or XT.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
That definitly makes sense to me, but my 105 has taken a coupla bashes and is all scratched up with a big gouge taken out of it and its still fine...