Quantcast

Roland Green

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
did he cheat?

here's what happened for those of you that didn't hear:
Roland was in first, cleat came loose, Ryder Hesjedal throws him a multi-tool as he rides by. there's a rule in NORBA that says any tool used in a race must be carried by the racer using it from the beginning of the race. he didn't get DQed because of another rule that said all contests to results must be brought to the officials within 15 minutes of the posting of the results. since no one knew about the cheating until watching the footage on OLN (except Roland and ryder, of course) no one could protest within 15 minutes.

I personally would not call borrowing a tool cheating. someone should not lose a race because of mechanical malfunction that they aren't prepared to fix. I've seen people do this at races simply to finish the race, isn't that essentially what Roland did?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think it's cheating. If you want to save weight by not carrying the appropriate tools then don't expect to borrow someone else's when somethiing goes wrong.

We discussed this issue at length some time ago but I can't find it in the archive.:(

zibbler

Monkey
Well, as stated the rule cleary said you must carry your own tools and not be aided by someone else. He broke the rule, therefore he cheated. He should have been prepared. If other racers could carry tools, why couldn't he?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
It seems very innocent, but come on a good multi-tool weighs nothing. He should have been prepared, and paid the consequence since he wasn't.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I think he cheated, and he should be drawn and quartered, his family should be put in stocks, and his mechanic should be forced to asemble bikes at Wal-Mart.

:devil:

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
He did not get caught in time to have an effect on his results.
Whether it's cheating or not, he got away with it.
I'm under the impression that there are more than a few iffy practices at his level of competition.
I put using a tool undetected (in time) in the same category of offence as doping programs that are difficult to detect.

No sir, I don't like it.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Sideways

I put using a tool undetected (in time) in the same category of offence as doping programs that are difficult to detect.

No sir, I don't like it.

shhhhhhhh you can't talk of these things it might upset people and you know it!! i thought someone in here was gonna try and rip my head off for even stating that this couple possibly be true....so be careful buddy hehe :D

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Mr Green hales from the best country on the planet. The bike tool he needed was probably made in the worst country on said planet (take a guess at which country it is, for there's a few).

i'd bet a million currency unit (dollars, yen, euros, etc) that if the rider was from a nation that was trying to rule the world, then they wouldn't have received the same courtesy. it's all about RESPECT.

i could go on, but i won't.

:)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by slein
Mr Green hales from the best country on the planet. The bike tool he needed was probably made in the worst country on said planet (take a guess at which country it is, for there's a few).

i'd bet a million currency unit (dollars, yen, euros, etc) that if the rider was from a nation that was trying to rule the world, then they wouldn't have received the same courtesy. it's all about RESPECT.

i could go on, but i won't.

:)
please do.....

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Originally posted by indieboy
please do.....
thank-you, i will.

nothing beats good sportsmanship.

we don't know why his cleat or shoe failed, but i'll bet dimes to dollars that it wasn't his fault. its typical in this industry - just like automobiles - that something is made to work in a certain way for a certain performance level. it breaks, so you can buy a new one. or, it'll work great for two hours, but then the warranty runs out and then the consumer will have to pay full-pop for a new one. to quote my friends across the pond, "BULLOCKS!"

maybe he broke the rule. i did watch part of the pre-recorded telecast, but i didn't see the offending action. if NORBA or who-the-hell-ever is gonna make these rules, then they shall enforce them.

thus, its no harm, no foul.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
thank-you, i will.

nothing beats good sportsmanship.

we don't know why his cleat or shoe failed, but i'll bet dimes to dollars that it wasn't his fault. its typical in this industry - just like automobiles - that something is made to work in a certain way for a certain performance level. it breaks, so you can buy a new one. or, it'll work great for two hours, but then the warranty runs out and then the consumer will have to pay full-pop for a new one. to quote my friends across the pond, "BULLOCKS!"

maybe he broke the rule. i did watch part of the pre-recorded telecast, but i didn't see the offending action. if NORBA or who-the-hell-ever is gonna make these rules, then they shall enforce them.

thus, its no harm, no foul.
i don't think that oln would show the footage of him tossing the tool. i'm not saying it exist but if it does then norba was in the right of disqualifying him. he obvisously won the race w/ how badly he destroyed the field. no body is saying that the cleat failure is his fault, most of the time when a product fails in a race it's not the racer's fault. happens purely from abuse, period. i've personally been DQ'ed by this very rule....broke a chain on the starting line of a race, wasn't carrying a chain tool, someone tossed their chain tool in the grass for me and the promoters came up and asked me if the chain tool was mine, i told them yes, and they later found out that i lied and it was someone else's. i just wanted to race, drove 8 hours down to the race n wasn't about to pay all of what i paid to not race....the bitch was after they found out they let me continue to ride my laps to only DQ me when they put the results up. won't go into the other reasons why some ppl call him a cheater even if you ask me to........

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
please do....
well a lot of ppl will tell you that the posties got some nice drugs that are a bit ahead of the testing procedures that the UCI use. the uci only test for a few specific drugs and there are always some sort of way to get around the testing......most ppl would like to come back and jump my shiet for that n say "well there's no way lance and roland would have been caught by now the UCI is all over them." well use the UCI is all over the both of em but as i said there are ways to get around the testing espically if you have some of the best cycling doctors in the world......

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
one of the funniest things that ever happened to me was when a dude told me:

"no matter what you do, someone will always find out about it"

the fact that this conversation centered around oral sex on the back of a school bus was even less to the point. it was funny.

i've seen and heard a lot of sports evidence that says this or that. i've begun to chalk it up to the enquirer. then there's always the mafia angle, cuz betting on sports is big money all over. that's why there are governing bodies for sports, but even these guys don't have much of a hand in the commerce industry. even banning non-front triangle bikes in the tour de france won't stop people from buying them. there's always a better way of doing something, even if the government say it ain't so.

its a shame you got DQ'd for using a tool that you found. unless the bike race fuduckers had a pre-race inventory of what was up your hoop, then you raced and they can kiss it. i woulda pissed in that guys gas tank after i put sugar in it. its a rule for the sake of having a rule. people can say whatever they wanna say, and enforce rules that are meant to be enforced.

roland green and lance armstrong may or may not be like Ben Johnson "AKA the sprinter dude that lost his olympic gold medal for juicing" or Ross Rebagliati "the snowboarer dude that didn't lose his medal for smokin some phatties." As for doping, RG and LA have always been great athletes. tools or not, someone else may have helped them get to the top, but they didn't get a free ride. if they did dope, someone would have proved it by now, probably not because this person found it by accident, but rather somebody talked.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
one of the funniest things that ever happened to me was when a dude told me:

"no matter what you do, someone will always find out about it"

the fact that this conversation centered around oral sex on the back of a school bus was even less to the point. it was funny.

i've seen and heard a lot of sports evidence that says this or that. i've begun to chalk it up to the enquirer. then there's always the mafia angle, cuz betting on sports is big money all over. that's why there are governing bodies for sports, but even these guys don't have much of a hand in the commerce industry. even banning non-front triangle bikes in the tour de france won't stop people from buying them. there's always a better way of doing something, even if the government say it ain't so.

its a shame you got DQ'd for using a tool that you found. unless the bike race fuduckers had a pre-race inventory of what was up your hoop, then you raced and they can kiss it. i woulda pissed in that guys gas tank after i put sugar in it. its a rule for the sake of having a rule. people can say whatever they wanna say, and enforce rules that are meant to be enforced.

roland green and lance armstrong may or may not be like Ben Johnson "AKA the sprinter dude that lost his olympic gold medal for juicing" or Ross Rebagliati "the snowboarer dude that didn't lose his medal for smokin some phatties." As for doping, RG and LA have always been great athletes. tools or not, someone else may have helped them get to the top, but they didn't get a free ride. if they did dope, someone would have proved it by now, probably not because this person found it by accident, but rather somebody talked.

yes they are both extremely talented althetics there are no doubts about that at all. however sadly the way top level cycling has gone, it's next to impossible to win now and win consistently w/ out doping.......and in the case of those two i don't think anyone would slip up and talk. to much for thow two to lose and for themselves personally. trek is much larger in the scheme of things then ppl might want to give em credit for......

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
sure. TREK makes their bikes at GIANT.

WAYNE GRETZKY: you'll never see the likes of him again. STEPHEN HAWKINS is about on par with ALBERT EINSTEIN...
someone (reputable - like a journalist) said that there have been no prodigies in the twentieth century. i think there have been more in the last recent while than throughout existance. there are sooooo many people on this planet that the law of averages will work out. RG and LA are on top of their game. tomorrow someone else will be great and get their fifteen minutes. being DQ'd for using a tool is as stoooopid wearing spandex - it just shouldn't happen.

this tool-rool was probably made because some european got mad that someone from somewhere else did better than an euro (a euro?) - and said loser copulated with the prez of the UCI to make this rool... for someone else's benefit. that's because for every winner, there's a bunch of loserz.

RG rulez. just like every other CANADIAN.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
this tool-rool was probably made because some european got mad that someone from somewhere else did better than an euro (a euro?) - and said loser copulated with the prez of the UCI to make this rool... for someone else's benefit. that's because for every winner, there's a bunch of loserz.
That's what i thought at first too, then someone told me that it was prbably made up to keep racers from picking up tools/parts along the trail. it sucks that borrowed multi-tools are included, but rules are rules.

Now I'm gonna go with the rest and say he cheated.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
if NORBA or who-the-hell-ever is gonna make these rules, then they shall enforce them.
They did enforce them.
if you read my original post, there was a rule that says all contests to the results must be made within 15 minutes of posting the results. Since nobody but RG and RH knew about the cheating then, RG's ass was saved.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

RG rulez. just like every other CANADIAN.
no, the tool rule that is enforced by the UCI, norba, and every other organization that promotes racing in their country, what have you all put this rule into effect b/c they wanted mtn bike racing to be self succient. unlike road racing....road racing you break something on your bike your team mechnic is right there to hand you a bike.....well not so w/ mtn biking. just how the rules are, you might think they are stupid, but personally i don't. countless national titles and world titles have been lost b/c of this rule, oh well.