Quantcast

Roll-able GLC drop?

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
Dumbing down trails at Whistler is out of control. Its only been two weeks since I've been there and they proceed to "improve" things. My first time down the mountain this last w/e, I noticed that the big GLC drop has a major amount of dirt on the left side.:banghead: In fact, most all of the rocks on the left side are covered in dirt. The drop has got to be at least a foot smaller now. What's next, a ramp down the big drop:rolleyes: .

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Probably part of the Regrooming after some rain and crankworks. can't say since im not riding right now, just what I have heard.. Im sure the dirt will be gone soon and if its that big of a deal find a larger jump/Drop unless you need to impress those on the patio

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
DBR X6 RIDER said:
you are basically just a total fiend.
;)
I've been called worse. I'll accept that label:eek:.

Actually, my issue with this is not that the GLC drop is something sacred or its a chance to show off. More that this is an on going issue up there. As trails get buffed up, they become easier. And the challenges diminish :think:.

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
vibiker said:
Dumbing down trails at Whistler is out of control.
They really dumbed down the bikercross course too. It's still fun, but I liked last year's course better. Apparently it was better before crankworx, but my first time up this season was on saturday.

They plowed down part of D1:mad: (i think that was for intalling water pipes). That kind of pissed me off, it was a fun section.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
By the time I get to GLC, after hitting Dirt Merchant and A-line drops, it feels like the sidewalk curb at my house.

SST has bigger hits.

I guess the best solution is to go faster.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
In the last week, there has been 2 very serious accidents at the very bottom of the hill. One off the big GLC, and the other off the last jump on BikerX.

I think accidents at the bottom of the hill, hurt the mountains opportunity to increase revenue, and expand the idea of park riding to new customers.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, as we all know, there can be quite a few spectators watching the bottom of the hill, and seeing people carted off on stretchers and put into ambulences, doesnt motivate any potential customer to try it out.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
yea they're pussifying (as i like to call it) a lot of the stuff at whistler.
like the gnarly roller off the ladder on detroit rock city was almost leveled. Its starting to piss me off because i go to whistler to push myself, not to puss out on things. Clown shoes seems to be the only run that extremely gnarly that they haven't touched. possibly cuz its so hard that not enough people ride it to get hurt anyway:cool:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I was really disapointed that they dumbed down biker cross. I was almost starting to clear most of the jumps, then they go and make it way easyer, taking out the little 8 foot stepdown part.

I can see why they did it tough, more people will ride it now clearing up congestion on the other lower trails.

vibiker

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Santa Clara / Vashon
dh gangster said:
Clown shoes seems to be the only run that extremely gnarly that they haven't touched.
Not true. They "armoured" the end of the roller coaster woodwork so it is now nice and smooth to the corner. No more tech/rooty section there:mumble:.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
why are you complaining about them grooming the trails?.....smooth out A-line, Dirt Merchant and Freight Train and then you can go twice as fast and go twice as big....you want technical stay in the woods

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
dh gangster said:
yea they're pussifying (as i like to call it) a lot of the stuff at whistler.
like the gnarly roller off the ladder on detroit rock city was almost leveled. Its starting to piss me off because i go to whistler to push myself, not to puss out on things. Clown shoes seems to be the only run that extremely gnarly that they haven't touched. possibly cuz its so hard that not enough people ride it to get hurt anyway:cool:
Clownshoes is most definitely not the hardest trail on the hill.

Buncha **** on Garb that is continuously tougher, although, that one paved corner on Clownshoes is damn near impossible to ride out of without putting a foot down.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
There are quite a few "un-published" DH trails on the mountain, that provide very techy and steep decents.
PM me next time you come up, and I will give you a guided tour!

Jun 18, 2004
Netguy said:
There are quite a few "un-published" DH trails on the mountain, that provide very techy and steep decents.
PM me next time you come up, and I will give you a guided tour!
Killa... maybe I will be so lucky as to be up the same time as John (vibiker)... or maybe some other peeps can get Wade S to show us the way... or maybe not... anyways sounds cool!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
.:Jeenyus:. said:
Clownshoes is most definitely not the hardest trail on the hill.

Buncha **** on Garb that is continuously tougher, although, that one paved corner on Clownshoes is damn near impossible to ride out of without putting a foot down.
practice riding a nose wheelie around and then that corner won't be quite as ridiculous. just don't lock up those wheels... :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
in that case i could see how many trails could become more scary :D . the front brake (along with weighting the front wheel sufficiently but not overly) is super key.

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I was just up at Whistler on sunday. I was pleasently surprised to find out that the drop over the octopus is open for the public:biggrin: (the one next to the teeter-totter drop). It isn't a HUGE drop (probably10-15 feet with a little bit of a gap), but it is definately big enough to make me surprised it was open to the public. Hit it up it's pretty smooth