Quantcast

Roll Call For Wintrop Fall Bike Festival

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
It used to be called the Winthrop Mountain Bike Festival. The downhill has gone away but has been replaced with cyclocross. The Festival runs October 1-3. Cyclocross is on Saturday and cross country is on Sunday. They will also be having a couple of poker rides. With the rain we have been having it could be muddy. Looking ahead a week, the weather looks ok. Last chance at some mountain bike racing this year. Good chance to get that picture you have always wanted of looking totally muddy.

Also on Sunday October 3 Ragnarok is putting on a cyclocross at Fort Worden State Park in Port Townshend.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I will be up there the weekend before camping at Pearygin(sp?) state park with buddies.....might swing by the trails and take a run or two...:think: Buddies don't really ride maybe I can have some fun with them. :D

I will have to skip the race weekend.

There is some Octoberfest-type thing going on in Winthrop on the 25th. :D If anyone is into that sort of thing.

Rhino "camp spot on the lake" from WA

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
There will not be much if any mud, no matter how much it rains. Our soil drains very fast. For those of you camping, nighttime lows have been dropping into the upper 30s occasionally, but mostly lower 40s.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
bibs said:
I wish i had the dough and time to go, it would be fun. The whole atomsphere. But school and work will swallow ALL my time..and riding(snowboard, snowmobiles and bikes) :D
Don't forget, Bibs, you forgot to factor in the internet dating! :devil:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
It must be better than here in Cle Elum, last three days I have gone through a lot of mud. Speedbump-any idea what the course will be? I know at the Boneshaker it went into single track fairly quick and then came out and hit a road. The first guy in the single track seemed to have a pretty nice advantage because it came so quick. The WIMS folks ran a bit different course this year than in the past. I am kind of hoping it starts with a nice road hill climb.

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
I know they talked about a couple of different courses they were going to choose from. I would think their website should have the info: www.mvsta.com

I think it will either be this year's WIM course or last year's WIM course.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Can't make it this year (like last year :rolleyes: ) I'm taking some time off work to go climbing, and I think we'll be in southern Idaho at the City of Rocks...

Have fun though! The festival was always one of the more fun "races"...

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Cross must be getting pretty popular. Maybe the DHers should pick it up. There are three cyclocross races on the same weekend. On Saturday there is one in Redmond, plus the Winthrop race. On Sunday there is the one in Port Townsend.

Ok-for this race there is me, myself, and I, plus my wife who I am not letting race. Earlier this year I took her on a trail and she broke her arm. I am thinking of setting up in the KOA. A couple of years ago quite a few tenters were there, they have electricity-I think some of the tenters ran electric heaters-it gets cold at night.

The Course-the map shows the same as WIMs ran, although I think WIMs might have changed it. I remember hitting some single track awfully quick. I was 16 out of 16 going into the single track. When we came out a mile later the leaders were long gone. That was a good lesson.