Quantcast

Rotec RL9 demo day at P.A.!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Concentric stays with the new Lawill, just adds the lawill linkage. Speaking with SUlly, he was saying that the concentric was what mert originally wanted with his design...

Damn cool looking bike though.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Check out Mert Lawwills site for pics from Interbike this year!
www.mertlawwill.com

We have a new site in the works for the new year, so stay tuned for the latest news and pics.

Decline also did a tidbit on the RL9 aswell in the Jan 05 issue so check it out.

Hey Jeff, checked out the links for the new site, sweeeet!
Very dirty bro :p

And to answer your question rbx, yes the new RL9 is concentric. But also understand that the orginal lawwill 4 bar concept was designed and intended to always be a concentric.

But please understand that this is not a SINGLE pivot bike and as such will not and does not act like a single pivot design just because its concentric.

The fact that Rotecs were concentric just made the process a shoe in. Develpment cost and profit I'am sure were the driving cost as to why it was never done that way by the other mfgs. And frankly I'am glad they never did. We feel our postion in producing the RL9 in this manner best represents Merts orginal intentions.

As everyone knows, what I say about the design will be biased and I can't blame them. I just let the bike speak for itself. Fans of the Lawwill design will appreciate the fact that we're focused on pushing the lawwill concept to the next level.

The Lawwills of the past never really progressed with the exception of the Bradbury/Tomac/Lawwill version. I was truly dissapointed when they didn't continue down that path. Wish I could say more on that but thats not my place....but man I loved that design..

Merry Christmas all!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
rbx said:
so if im not mistaken the physical pivot is cc but the virtual pivot is not, right?
I guess.....

There is a chainstay pivot so the main pivot bearing is abround the BB but the rear axle is not fixed solidly to the lower swing arm.

I hope that made sense.....check out Merts website.

www.mertlawwill.com
Click on "bicycles" on the left side. There are pictures that you can get a good look at the bike.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Far as i know, there are both actually.

Rose, you'll have to save your pennies, there aren't any regular rotecs left, just the new hotness.

Like thats a bad thing or something.

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
I'd like to thank everyone who came out to P.A. this weekend.

It was a great time, a real blast!

Everyone should thank Jason for the invite and entry! Hey Jason! can we do this again??

I'am stoked to see that everyone approved of the RL9.....shes a ripper fer sure!

Thanks to Freak and K.Kelly as well as they gave up their trucks to shuttle duties as well as to all who chipped in to drive.

This was a inprompt gathering that was hatched with less then a week planning. Lets do it again in 2 weeks, same thing on a Sunday, weather permiting.

Cheers,

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow the rear black links look EXACTLY the same as the ones on my old Straight 8 frame. with the chain guard....

anyway HOT frame.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DHS said:
wow the rear black links look EXACTLY the same as the ones on my old Straight 8 frame. with the chain guard....

anyway HOT frame.
:) There is a good chance they are EXACTLY the same .....this is the original prototype and for time constraints, existing parts were used to get a working prototype for Interbike.

From what I understand the derailer hanger will be part of the the link the axle is on for final production....among other small tweeks. But this is the same bike you all see in pictures from Interbike and elsewhere in Yellow. It was made orange by request for the Japan trade show.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
snowskilz said:
for ppl who got to throw a leg over the bike any reviews???
I M 2 Fat so teh bike wasn't sprung even close for me. :D

But many fast locals came back grinning after taking her down the slopes of Port Angeles.

THe riders had Yeti's in the past and said the rear end felt real good. I only sat on it between riders.....and it was smooth. But I didn't hear any compaints on the rear end. They guys put it thru the muddy ringer too. She didn't look that clean at the end of the day. :D

Freaks pedal wrench got a good work out too....as everyone kept swithing back and forth taking their pedals with them.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
just aslong as its not the edco rear hub on there.

i think i still have those links in my basement if you guys need an extra set.....
15mm i think.

i sure LOVED the schwinn other then the ASWOME...Pull shock

Steve

(when i get bored of my Karpiel Army and BMW Racelink, i'll look into that bike...)