Quantcast

Rothrock Area Riding?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Someone was telling me about campsite #6 in Rothrock with easy access to the trails. Requires a DCNR permit and obviously has no amenities, but supposedly very cool place to camp. I'll scout it next time I'm home visiting family.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What is Rothrock like at this time of year? I have a buddy who needs to drive to the states to pickup a new bike and wants to ride for a day or two. He's looking at leaving in 1-2 weeks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Jake's Rocks trail system in Allegheny NF is awesome and a must ride. A modern trail system with a good mix of flow, features, and tech.

Ellicottville NY has great trails too, with more of a classic XC vibe but fairly technical.
Ellicotville was great when we rode it. Technical old school XC trails and good beer at the brewery (if it's open)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Checked out campsite 6 this weekend. I like the location a lot. It has relatively easy access from route 322 and looks like probably enough clearance overhead and side-to-side to pull a trailer in. Also easy access to multiple trails that tie in to much larger rides.

site6_a.jpg

site6_b.jpg

site6_c.jpg

site6_d.jpg

Checked out campsite 6 this weekend. I like the location a lot. It has relatively easy access from route 322 and looks like probably enough clearance overhead and side-to-side to pull a trailer in. Also easy access to multiple trails that tie in to much larger rides.

View attachment 147185

View attachment 147186

View attachment 147187

View attachment 147189
I saw that in 2016 with a camper in place - I stayed in the van in parking lot near Flat & Cooper's Gap roads - Vero met me there, we rode Cooper's Gap, then went to the Dirt Fest washout.

Edit: The state map for campsites is close to hopeless for actually locating them...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I saw that in 2016 with a camper in place - I stayed in the van in parking lot near Flat & Cooper's Gap roads - Vero met me there, we rode Cooper's Gap, then went to the Dirt Fest washout.

Edit: The state map for campsites is close to hopeless for actually locating them...
Depending on the land ownership/classification dispersed camping may be an option.