Quantcast

Rotor Clearance - Adapters, Grinders, What have you...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So - short story:

I liked the way Hope floating rotors look so I grabbed a set for my bike. Running them with Saint 810 on a V10.4

the rear adapter I have is ticking against it - too tight clearance -- any recommendations? Brand of adapter? Get busy with the bench grinder? I was considering adding a .5-1mm washer to the brake side axle..

What about the caliper? the mounting points are pretty close, maybe I could 'soften' the edges or try to off-center the pads a .25mm+

Last edited:

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I have hope floating rotors, shimano m785 calipers, and north shore billet adapters on my sunday. Required no grinding or spacers. The NSB adapters are slightly thinner than the standard shimano pieces.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
The NSB adapters are slightly thinner than the standard shimano pieces.
good to know..

anyone have any problems fitting the superstar floating rotor? i was thinking about picking up a pair for the DH bike. although i gotta read up on em more.. ive herd a couple of neg things about superstar the last couple of weeks..

Last edited:

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
I've always just matched the brand of rotor to the adaptor, ignoring the brake itself. Not only does it save the 180/183/185 etc problems but as pointed out, they do seem to be different thicknesses.

Hope floating rotors are the same thickness at the braking surface as their saw rotors. Vented rotors are of course much thicker (almost double).