Quantcast

Rotor help! (unvented, round, 203mm)

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
You could probably get some of the older hayes rotors, have a shop weld the holes and flat grind the whole thing. Gator and Aztec brands have basic looking rotors but they are drilled as well

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
welding that thin material would likely cause significant warping
the weld material would more than likely be harder and have a different coefficient of friction than the rotor.
also keep in mind rotors are stainless.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
You could probably get some of the older hayes rotors, have a shop weld the holes and flat grind the whole thing. Gator and Aztec brands have basic looking rotors but they are drilled as well
No way that's going to work. As has been noted, welding something that thing is going to warp the **** out of it. And even grinding something that thin warps it a little.

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
You can get non-vented rotors from Avid to deal with resonance issues. I don't know about an 8" though.

Nevermind, I just saw Rowlands link above.

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I don't think they do that any longer, at least here in the US.
Contact the US Hope center, place your order, they get cut oversea's and shipped to the US. Super quick, cheap, any bolt pattern/size you want and it's quick. Usually about a week. We've done 2 of them this year for some old Coda and formula 4 bolt hubs that we needed to upgrade disc sizes on.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Contact the US Hope center, place your order, they get cut oversea's and shipped to the US. Super quick, cheap, any bolt pattern/size you want and it's quick. Usually about a week. We've done 2 of them this year for some old Coda and formula 4 bolt hubs that we needed to upgrade disc sizes on.
I know they offer different hub options, but as far as custom made rotors other than bolt pattern, not sure.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Local waterjet cutter and some 0.063" stainless plate looks like a winner. I think trying to modify an unvented rotor on the CNC would have gotten ugly.

We'll see how flat they come out, but you can't beat $75 for a pair of them!