Quantcast

Royal Racing race short

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I've been looking for a new/spare short for this year and have been looking at the new royal racing race short. It looks pretty slick.

I've been riding in a pair of Sombrio Rev shorts last year, I really like the fit, they're not hugely baggy and they're a just below the knee fit. They show a bit of wear.

How do the royal racing shorts fit? In Earthed 5 josh is wearing them (i think) and they look pretty baggy.

blurb said:
Screen printred side logos to maximize flexibility and keep the short as tight as possible.
How tight? the word tight worries me haha.

Also, how soft are they? I'm not good with stiff shorts either.

thanks

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
They aren't too tight at all. The sizing is pretty much spot on. The waist is also adjustable, so if like in my case, you've put on a bit of weight over the winter, it's no biggy. Also I haven't had any problems with them being too stiff either. They're actually rather soft. I've had Troy Lee Designs shorts for years, and a couple other brands, and I think the Royals are my favorite by far. You can't really go wrong.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Royals feel nice and if you want them BC-style, go up one size. Very nice fit, good ventilation and pretty wide for a race short. Go for it!
I felt they made them softer for 2007. As soft as it gets, but still functional on muddy days.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I like to wear empty rice and potato sacks when I ride. I'm fvcking broke, so I guess it works out. But I'll never make a magazine cover looking like a damn hobo. :rolleyes:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm 5'6 150lbs and the medium fit is great. They aren't too tight and are long/baggy enough that my knee pads don't get hung up. Sorry for the ass shot.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
These are XLs. I'm a skinny 6'-1" and they look a bit baggy on me but they did not hang up or catch on anything anywhere. The sides are cinched up all the way, though. The crotch does not hang down to catch on your saddle and they are nice and loose and comfy (and no, you won't find this particular color combination anywhere ;)):

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
I wear 31-32 sized jeans/pants and I fit a size Large Royal Race Shorts just fine.

Ignoring the price, it's prolly the most comfortable and "just right" riding/racing shorts I've owned. Worth every dime...make that dollars since they're bling. 4 1/2 CHILLY PEPPERS RATING OUT OF 5

on the downside:
At the last race, after landing the table/double, the buttons popped out. I must be just getting fat.
1.5 PEPPERS FOR MY BELLY

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
on the downside:
At the last race, after landing the table/double, the buttons popped out. I must be just getting fat.
1.5 PEPPERS FOR MY BELLY
Bluefire has photos with your shorts around your ankles at the finish line. :P

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
I'm liking Royal stuff, not that I currently get to wear it, but there shorts! I got some Future Combats are very tough, work well doing the house work:shocked:

Hopefully when Im back on the dirt later this year I can give em a real test, a bit heavier than my RF DH shorts but feel very comfy, Tops feel awesome too and my favs are the socks these are just brillant, I have a fetish for MTB socks, neva can have enough socks:monkeydance:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I was just looking for their (Royal's) website to scope out their gear and couldn't come up with it... I am new at the interwebs stuff so does anyone have their website?

Icy

Chimp
Apr 13, 2006
How about the sizing on the Royal jerseys, I was thinking about going for a large but having read the postings about the shorts I think a xl i closer to my size since im 192cm thats about 6'3 feet i think.. My main concern is that the jersey might be too short when running pads under it.

Haven't found any size chart for the jerseys or shorts there's just armor their webpage size chart..

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
The new Race jerseys are actually sized with the use of armor in mind. Some of the older styles of jerseys do run a little tighter.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I wear a medium and the sleeves go past my wrists about an inch and half. However, if I wear my elbow pads, the fit is perfect.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Sizing:

Man, you guys sure have different ideas about sizing I do... Unless don't REALLY have 31" waists. :huh:

I have a few pairs of Royal shorts. Mediums are basically a 32"-34" fit. Perfect for me (31" waist) for shuttle DH duties, armor shorts would fit fine underneath. But if you are going to be pedaling, the Smalls 30-32" fit me a lot better and don't hang down too low in the crotch. They still reach my knees and are plenty loose. I wouldn't be able to fit an armored compression short underneath the smalls, but they fit great without.

I can't imagine wearing the Large unless I wanted to pull the waist straps so far around that it looked like I was wearing a garbage bag... Or unless you wear tremendously thick hip armor.

My 2 cents.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Sizing:

Man, you guys sure have different ideas about sizing I do... Unless don't REALLY have 31" waists. :huh:

I have a few pairs of Royal shorts. Mediums are basically a 32"-34" fit. Perfect for me (31" waist) for shuttle DH duties, armor shorts would fit fine underneath. But if you are going to be pedaling, the Smalls 30-32" fit me a lot better and don't hang down too low in the crotch. They still reach my knees and are plenty loose. I wouldn't be able to fit an armored compression short underneath the smalls, but they fit great without.

I can't imagine wearing the Large unless I wanted to pull the waist straps so far around that it looked like I was wearing a garbage bag... Or unless you wear tremendously thick hip armor.

My 2 cents.
how tall are you?

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Be careful on sizing , if ya can def try on in an LBS

There sizes in most clothing is bigger atleast a size than other brands, a med in Royal would be atleast a large in RF/TL for example, I normally wear a L in most sometime XL in shorts, Im a Large in the combats shorts /med in some other models, Top medium & still has plenty of room for armour underneath without being a skin suit once suited up, Jacket is a large, I could easily gone with medium, niether is tight or too big, which is why I took L just to give more options, just check it out if ya can first! Otheriwise ya might be flapping a bit or find ya need some drawstrings:huh:

They have nice adjustments tabs etc all very well made, definitley worth a look at, the shorts use seperate liners which I like, have been using this system for years.

Anyway I would check it out first, not sure if they had a measuring table on the website or not as another check !

Good luck its good stuff, looks rad, something different,+ Peaty rulz go the old boy's:monkeydance:

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
my local stores do not stock any royal sadly, mostly sombrio/troy lee/fox, which is the main reason i'm looking at royal stuff haha
Do they have any 661

Look around for anyone that has 661 stuff and they should be able to stock Royal even if they don't have it store as its part of the same group..