Quantcast

RP3 or Romic coil on 5 Spot

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Ok so it looks like I will jump in a pick up a 5 spot. I have a choice of either an RP3 of a Romic coil ( $100 more ) Both are really good deals to begin with. This bike will replace my Heckler as a 5 spot is what I have really wanted and if I don't do it now the deal is gone. Max stuff will be 4-5' drops and general hard trail riding.

With no real world comparison for me with an Air vs coil ( running coil since FS bikes came out ) I want to make sure I pick the right one for the type of riding I do. Any thoughts would be a big help.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Supa8 said:
Ok so it looks like I will jump in a pick up a 5 spot. I have a choice of either an RP3 of a Romic coil ( $100 more ) Both are really good deals to begin with. This bike will replace my Heckler as a 5 spot is what I have really wanted and if I don't do it now the deal is gone. Max stuff will be 4-5' drops and general hard trail riding.

With no real world comparison for me with an Air vs coil ( running coil since FS bikes came out ) I want to make sure I pick the right one for the type of riding I do. Any thoughts would be a big help.
There is no comparison. Get the RP3. I was as shocked as anybody after I started riding the RP3 on my 5-spot. You can actually run the shock without a platform which you could not do on the Romic. This give you better use of the travel, and makes the bike rip even more. The 3 position system is nice.
Fully open, medium platform, and a stiffer platform that I use for long fireroad climbs. I really dig the RP3 and it is a pound lighter as well.

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Supa8 said:

I did the same thing, (replaced my heckler with a 5-spot). I went with the coil over b/c it was already on the bike. My buddy rides an RP3 and really, the only difference between the two shocks after all is said and done is:

a. RP3 and fox propedal shocks pedal a little bit better
b. Romic is way more plush overall. (me likey)
c. a romic coil's performance will fade less on the downhills 'cause it has more oil volume than an air shock.
d. look to drop a significant amount of weight if you go for the air shock.

So, depending on what you will do with the bike, you shold be able to pick the shock. Think of the air shock as a benifit to longer more pedally rides, and the coil for shorter more rough rides. Both will perform well in both arenas. Think of it like picking the topping on you favourite ice-cream, you're still going to be eating your favorite icecream so you'rer stoked either way.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Jeremy R said:
There is no comparison. Get the RP3. I was as shocked as anybody after I started riding the RP3 on my 5-spot. You can actually run the shock without a platform which you could not do on the Romic. This give you better use of the travel, and makes the bike rip even more. The 3 position system is nice.
Fully open, medium platform, and a stiffer platform that I use for long fireroad climbs. I really dig the RP3 and it is a pound lighter as well.
I had looked up your post where you had made the switch. Basically doing the same kinda riding. I should be the new owner of the frameset by days end. Just needed some real world info on the RP3.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Supa8 said:
I had looked up your post where you had made the switch. Basically doing the same kinda riding. I should be the new owner of the frameset by days end. Just needed some real world info on the RP3.
BTW, I rode the Romic for a year, before I switched. I never had any problems with it, and it worked quite well. I was expecting to lose some weight with the RP3, but I was really surprised to find out that it rode plusher than the coil shock. You really notice on medium size hits, where the bike just feels more controlled, because it is using more travel for the same size hit. Either way though, the Spot rides great. ;)

dr.harmonica

Chimp
Feb 13, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Good to see that you ordered it with a RP3. I switched to a RP3 after two years on a Romic. It has really improved the ride of this bike. While the Romic was great on large and small hits, the RP3 feels far superior overall. It is much more controlled through the travel and takes the middle sized bumps much better. It definately adds a snappiness to the bike that I didn't dream of.

You should really be looking forward to that 5Spot. It really is a great bike.