Quantcast

Run down on UCSC riding

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Hey all,

Seen quite a dew people on here from Santa Cruz/UCSC, so this seems like the appropriate place to ask a couple questions.

Got accepted to UCSC, went there this weekend, loved it, beautiful campus, can't be the weather either. While taking the your of the campus, I saw several Buliits, several Hecklers, a good amount of XC bikes, and an SX Trail (w/ a silver King to boot). Seems unreal, considering this was just on campus.

So, give me the quick run down of riding in Santa Cruz. The general atmosphere, types of trails within riding distance of campus (I don't want names/directions to word of mouth trails, that will hopefully come with time). For those who are students, how is it keeping bikes in the dorms? They anal about it?

I'm torn between UCSC and WWU (Bellingham, WA). WWU would be awesome, but out of state tuition kills, and there are only 70 days of sunshine up there. :plthumbsdown:

Thanks all
Matt

May 3, 2004
Sanna Croooz
Hey all,

Seen quite a dew people on here from Santa Cruz/UCSC, so this seems like the appropriate place to ask a couple questions.

Got accepted to UCSC, went there this weekend, loved it, beautiful campus, can't be the weather either. While taking the your of the campus, I saw several Buliits, several Hecklers, a good amount of XC bikes, and an SX Trail (w/ a silver King to boot). Seems unreal, considering this was just on campus.

So, give me the quick run down of riding in Santa Cruz. The general atmosphere, types of trails within riding distance of campus (I don't want names/directions to word of mouth trails, that will hopefully come with time). For those who are students, how is it keeping bikes in the dorms? They anal about it?

I'm torn between UCSC and WWU (Bellingham, WA). WWU would be awesome, but out of state tuition kills, and there are only 70 days of sunshine up there. :plthumbsdown:

Thanks all
Matt
PM me.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Mr. Guru knows what's up.

Definitely no jumps, no DH, no rock gardens, no sweet single track, and no northshore. Been through there a million times. It's all open fire road that I could do on a tricycle. :D

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Keeping bikes in the dorms isn't all that hard. I've got a few friends who have their DH rigs with 'em. I think they might keep them in some of the available bike lockers, but I'm not entirely sure how that all works out.

I've got a single dorm with a raised bed. I can fit my Bottle Rocket underneath so that I've still got loads of room for the rest of my stuff. In fact, I also keep a bmx bike in my room, lined up right next to the DH bike. I think that my BR, with one chain-ring up front, is perfect for this place. Seeing as I'm still able to pound up climbs and, well, SC is in the middle of a bunch of great riding. If you befriend anyone who lives on campus and has a car, it's relatively easy to get out to the bay area to ride on the weekends.

I haven't had any problems with keeping my bikes in my dorm. I've even joked with my RAs about tracking in mud. However, I'm also pretty paranoid about messing up everyone's carpet, so I only ride those fireroads when I know that the dirt is dry.

One of my riding buddies might be going to school UCSC next year, as well. A rad college with easy access to some of the bay's better trails? Awesome!

If you want any more opinions, feel free to PM me as well.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Thanks for all the responses (serious and not). I understand that there are word-of-mouth trails, and I respect that, and don't expect anyone to tell me where they are, hopefully that will come after time.

Overall, seems like I don't have anything to worry about, sounds like there is plenty of riding to be had. Hopefully I'll be able to head down there before fall and ride, not sure though, moving up to N* for summer :D

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
there are plenty of secret, and non-secret spots to ride in santa cruz. tons of people know about the trails on highway 9 and how to shuttle them too. even if you don't know any secret spots, there are still plenty of amazing places to ride.

Jump Chump

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
A, A
Within striking distance of all of BC, Vancouver, Whistler, etc. Plus all the trails in WA and OR.

When you get sick of biking, there's also world-class climbing, hiking, camping.

Cost of living is also a little cheaper.

After 4 years, you can always move back, but at least you've got the PNW under your belt.

damon