Quantcast

"run flat" DH tire idea

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Brand??

Have you ever tried to emulate the 'kitty hair' that is in stans. I don't know what it is, but it certainly sinks to the bottom of the quarts (need to constantly shake them to keep the particles in suspension). If I just pour the stans off the top without shaking, it does not work nearly as well IMO. It makes a lot of sense to include some sort of material/matrix to form the 'clot'.

Carpet fuzz?? roadie leg hair?? landing strip trimmings??? chopped fiberglass??
It's this stuff

http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Product Bulletin 7A NEW.pdf

I know guys that have put glitter in stans to get the same kind of platelet effect. I've never needed to using this stuff. Couldn't hurt I guess.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
good lord. More than I ever thought I would want to know about tire sealant. So far my stans has worked pretty well for what I'm doing. Next tire change though I'm going to make my own sealant, and if that latex mold stuff is any good... my own underpants too.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
look up le systeme from michelin. i highly doubt you could get your hands on it, but you could always somewhat re-create that...
I'm not exactly sure what system you are referring to, and I like to think that I know Michelin products pretty well. Of course I could be mistaken and it could be some project that was killed rather quickly. But I would be very much interested in understanding what you referring to. Are talking about the Bib Mousse? If you are, you will not find them for velo's, only moto's.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I'm not exactly sure what system you are referring to, and I like to think that I know Michelin products pretty well. Of course I could be mistaken and it could be some project that was killed rather quickly. But I would be very much interested in understanding what you referring to. Are talking about the Bib Mousse? If you are, you will not find them for velo's, only moto's.
it was a pro only system that involved an air canister attached to the valve stem. in the event of a flat the canister would inflate the tire. i'm not 100% sure of the details as it was kept under wraps...but i'm sure there are people out there that know about it if you ask around.

you can kinda see it there.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
it was a pro only system that involved an air canister attached to the valve stem. in the event of a flat the canister would inflate the tire. i'm not 100% sure of the details as it was kept under wraps...but i'm sure there are people out there that know about it if you ask around.

you can kinda see it there.
Now that is funny!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
The system used a tubular inflated to fill the gap in the rim similar to the THE product earlier in this thread...but at a fraction of the weight. It also added another dimension to the mix.....It created a bead lock for the tire.

The hole for the spoke Nipples had inserts to seal them off, the tire was then inflated last, tubeless style.... when the tire was flat it was equal to about 12 PSI, which would let you still finish your run, which during a series still gain valuable points.

What you see on Nico's bike in the image either the sealed cap that sits over the tubular valve stem, or the actually valve stem for the tubeless part.

In the late 90's this system was highly desired by riders, not even all Michelin sponsored riders got to run it.

For a long time I don't think any of the riders aside from Nico even knew what was inside the wheel.

Our race wheel set's were picked up over at the Michelin truck before the finals they would be installed with the tire of choice inside the truck with closed doors and after our race runs they were collected by Michelin personal.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
It worked Nico got 6th at worlds with a front flat in 2000 and Mike King got a rear flat on it at Mt ST Anne near the top and placed 15th in the DH... not sure on the year?

It was a bit finicky, some times a good seal wouldn't take and a last minute switch to regular set up was needed.

I am not sure why it was stopped? I don't know if it was cost or maybe improvements in tire side wall and tubeless stuff being out there.... I think it was a pain for those guys to set up as well.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Brand??

Have you ever tried to emulate the 'kitty hair' that is in stans. I don't know what it is, but it certainly sinks to the bottom of the quarts (need to constantly shake them to keep the particles in suspension). If I just pour the stans off the top without shaking, it does not work nearly as well IMO. It makes a lot of sense to include some sort of material/matrix to form the 'clot'.

Carpet fuzz?? roadie leg hair?? landing strip trimmings??? chopped fiberglass??
WAY to overthinking here...... There are items in the kitchen that will help what some are looking for that are super cheap......

Ground black Pepper
Ground Beetroot
anything like that will work wonders.

For the OP.

You could also get some older 4ply intense tires..... those work alot like an actuall runflat tire on a car..... sickly thick sidewall that still works when there is no air pressure!!!!!

Last edited:

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
To answer your question about UST maxxis tires and 823s:

823s are VERY hard rims in both design and material. The sidewalls are straight, thick, and made with Mavic's super hard maxtal aluminum (this has a lot to do why these rims tend to last.

The UST maxxis tires use a completely different (read softer, weaker) carcas construction than the non-tubeless versions. Folding bead, fewer TPI reinforcement, and no butyl pinch flat insert.

Combine these two (very hard sidewall rim and sissy sidewalled tire), and you end up with tires that have sidewall cuts (pinch flats).

I have not run a tube going on 6 years. I have never specifically purchased a UST tire (except mich as that is the only way they come). Single and double ply maxxis or michelin tires mount and seal fine on 721, 729, 823, 5.1 ...at least that has been my experience.
This is correct, the 823 is to hard for it's own good and it's sidewall profile likes to slice up tires.
Use a softer non UST rim with ghetto Stans set up or you can go to a softer UST rim such as " Stan's " own ZTR rims, our DH team ran that set up on most courses last season with great success.

Transcend Magazine DH team

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
The system used a tubular inflated to fill the gap in the rim similar to the THE product earlier in this thread...but at a fraction of the weight. It also added another dimension to the mix.....It created a bead lock for the tire.

The hole for the spoke Nipples had inserts to seal them off, the tire was then inflated last, tubeless style.... when the tire was flat it was equal to about 12 PSI, which would let you still finish your run, which during a series still gain valuable points.

What you see on Nico's bike in the image either the sealed cap that sits over the tubular valve stem, or the actually valve stem for the tubeless part.

In the late 90's this system was highly desired by riders, not even all Michelin sponsored riders got to run it.

For a long time I don't think any of the riders aside from Nico even knew what was inside the wheel.

Our race wheel set's were picked up over at the Michelin truck before the finals they would be installed with the tire of choice inside the truck with closed doors and after our race runs they were collected by Michelin personal.
haha that's what it is?? wow for the longest time i thought it was an air canister :thumb: i'm an idiot :rolleyes:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Luke D... it's all good, there are a lot of stories over the years of secret parts and what they are.

There are stories of Nico having a shock dyno in his van, not sure if that is true or not? I know he wouldn't let anyone ride his bike though.

Stikman, remember the Michelin tires prank i pulled in Japan at World Cup finals?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
From www.tapplastics.com - there is one walking distance from my girlfriend's place :thumb:

Edit: as usual, Kidwoo was quicker than me...
I've been following this thread for a while but having talked myself cross-eyed about tires, rims, and wheels so I've resisted the urge to jump in until now.

Acadian and Woo - THIS is the stuff, right?

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=62&

I did a search for Mold Builder and came up with that. Packaging looks different but I guess it's the same stuff you guys have?

BC VAN - I was wondering when the elusive "Le Systemme" from Michi would come up. :D I spoke with Riffle about it and like you said - it's some kind of odd tire-within-a-tire set up. I know he was using this when he was on the I.H. / Honda team back in the day... interesting stuff.

I've said it before - if either Michi OR Maxxis would JUST make a DH-specific UST casing like they do with their standard tires (2-ply w/ a modified butyl insert) their UST DH tire performance would be much more reliable under extremely abusive conditions. With Mavic coming out with a softer UST rim like that found on the 2010 DeeMax Ultimates... maybe where the two meet... consumers might finally have something viable and reliable to trust on a DH race run.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I've been following this thread for a while but having talked myself cross-eyed about tires, rims, and wheels so I've resisted the urge to jump in until now.

Acadian and Woo - THIS is the stuff, right?

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=62&

I did a search for Mold Builder and came up with that. Packaging looks different but I guess it's the same stuff you guys have?
yeah that's the stuff - I was just there at lunch today (e.g. Tap Plastics) and it looks like they changed their formula and packaging.